The future of the meetings?

by Kool Jo 21 Replies latest jw friends

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

"If you are unable to attend the meeting because of illness or extenuating circumstances making it impossible to attend in person."
    ..This is not to replace meetings, nor will it ever be for true Christians.

• FrankieGoesToHollywood
    FrankieGoesToHollywood

Defender of Truth!

What is exactly a true christian? Jesus never talked about "false" christians/followers, but he warned them to blindly follow the commands of men.

Please explain this.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Prediction: When the GB/"FDS"/WTBTS sees this they will shut it down. Then, at some time in the future, THEY will roll this idea out as if THEY came up with it!

That's right folks, you read it here first!

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

" Jesus never talked about 'false' christians/followers "

Matthew 7:21-23
    New King James Version (NKJV)

21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
    ..People addressing him as Lord, hoping to enter his kingdom, and performing works in his name=people professing to be Christian. This verse makes it clear that some are not acknowledged by Jesus as followers of him, he does not even know them, and tells them to 'depart from him'. These are not truly following him, they are not Christian, so they bear the name Christian falsely. Hope that cleared it up for you.

• FrankieGoesToHollywood
    FrankieGoesToHollywood

Interesting, "enter the Kingdom of Heaven" was at stake here. What "christian" organization have in fact closed the entrance to the "kingdom of Heaven"?

I can only think of one. Hint:1935

If you (as a JW) thought you could enter it and therefore partaking at the memorial, you were probably "mentally ill" according to the GB.

No, Jesus never have and never will "know" the Governing Body" and their supporters, dispite "great deeds".

• KateWild
    KateWild

In response to the OP, I think this is just an independent temporary thing. As many already have posted it will inhibit how the congs are controlled. I am sure in time the congs on the list will get a local needs saying it is strictly only for those who are bedridden and that have donated their life savings to the BOrg.

Kate xx

Defender of Truth, welcome to the forum, I agree with you. Jehovah / GB tell ones they must gather together, so this will not be a substitute for meetings at all. Please tell us your story and why you are visiting the site. Love Kate xx

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

One more tool for faders. Just claim to have attended this virtual meeting when you in fact skip the whole thing.

We have the "phone tie-in thing". If a person wanted to appear not to fade so immediately, they could do the depression thing and call in and just watch TV for the time.

I agree with Oubliette, WTS will shut the thing down if it gets too popular (unless a GB family member is involved, then any commercial interest seems to be OK). After all, these folks sitting at home cannot be putting any cash into the Contribution Boxes.

This will probably only be approved for the use of the infirm and elderly that have assigned all of their possessions to the WTS.

Doc

• sir82
    sir82

I'd tend to agree with you, except that the WT's policy is that telelphone (or internet) tie-ins are an "inferior" way of "meeting together".

From a (2008) BOE letter on the subject:

Clearly, what is being encouraged in the Scriptures is regular personal contact with our brothers and sisters. Any means of simulating such an experience by modern communication technologies is inferior and should be considered as a temporary measure until personal association is possible. Hence, care should be exercised that none of the technologies discussed herein should become a convenient substitute for personal attendance at the meetings.

Also, from time to time the CO will get on the elders' case if "too many" are listening in on the phone lines instead of showing up in person at the KH.

• man oh man
    man oh man

"Also, from time to time the CO will get on the elders' case if "too many" are listening in on the phone lines instead of showing up in person at the KH."

This just happened at my hall.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

This is very interesting information. It seems so unrealistic. How do we know for sure that this is real, and is it a pilot project?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit