The Memorial campaign: What question from a householder would have made you think?

by Faithful Witness 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I know that soon, the JWs in our area will be out in full force, on their hit and run campaign with invitations to the memorial.

Did you ever encounter a householder during this campaign, that made you stop and think about what you were doing?

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Faithful Witness, This year I'm prepared for JWs at my door. I already have Girl Scout short-bread cookies for them.

What I do will depend on whether a Bible Student is doing the presentation, if JWs seem to be "Spiritually Strong" (non-thinking) JWs, or too frail and old to lose their JW conditional friends/family. My objectives are to prevent them from placing all their propaganda, and may be to write www.jwfacts.com or www.freedomofmind.com on their propaganda and give it back to them. If they are older than 80 (or look near death), I plan to invite them in for a cup of tea and Girl Scout cookies and listen to their stories. If they are younger than 80 (or look healthy), I will either invite them in for a cup of tea and/or just ask them at the door if I can give them something in return for the propaganda that they want to give me.

I do not plan to debate with them, but I may share Mt 22:34-40 with them if they ask to share a scripture with me and ask them how they are following God's two greatist commandments.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• rebel8
    rebel8

Householders actually did make me think. IIRC, it was mostly them proving the wts was wrong biblically.

Anyway, how about 2 questions:

1. I heard jws believe they have always known the truth about medical science, because Jehovah has given them this special knowledge?
    2. Do you still believe that c olds are cured by jumping while naked? (GA 9/8/1937)
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Luke 22:15

15 And He said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer; 16 for I say to you, I shall never again eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." 17 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He said, "Take this and share it among yourselves;…for I say to you, I shall never again eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." 17 And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He said, "Take this and share it among yourselves; 18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine from now on until the kingdom of God comes."

Does this mean that Jesus will actually eat a passover meal and drink wine in heaven ? If not, how much of this celebration and it's continuance to our day, was meant to be taken literally?

Are you a Diciple of Jesus ? If so, why don't you take part in the emblems like Jesus Disiples did?

How do we know that he only meant for those he was talking to in this scripture, to keep on doing this ?

If Jesus set up his kingdom in 1914, why do you keep on celebrating this event?

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I honestly think if one person had mentioned the change with blood fractions being allowed and said something to the effect how pleased that made them that now we'd be giving back to the community by also donating blood, that would have started me questioning. Out of any comments I've made to active JW's, this gets them thinking the most.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

How about this:

Do Jehovah's Witnesses all go to a "memorial" at a Kingdom Hall instead of staying in their own house because they have NOT heard Jesus Christs voice?

Then ask for their NWT and turn to this verse:

Revelation 3:19-20

"‘All those for whom I have affection I reprove and discipline. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20  Look! I am standing at the door and knocking. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into his [house] and take the evening meal with him and he with me.

When they start telling you about how just a select group of self important men partake you could also ask them what the definition of "anyone" is and after they answer use the same verse above.

abe

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

Same as above, when they tell you that only a select group of self important men partake, ask them for their definition of "anyone".

and show them this verse right out of their own NWT:

John 6:50-51

This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that anyone may eat of it and not die. 51  I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if anyone eats of this bread he will live forever; and, for a fact, the bread that I shall give is my flesh in behalf of the life of the world."

abe

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Ima hope I won't be home. My husband will hole up and pretend he doesn't hear them if he's home by himself.

It's hard to ask just one question that will get a JW thinking. I know for me, it was years of questions and reading and then finally JWfacts and JWsurvey to help me put it all together. Still, if you come up with just one thing, it could be a small piece of an overall load that will get them thinking. One thing said to me in a campaign like this was by a Christian man who told me that he knows a lot of JWs who are good eggs, but doesn't sense the 'spirit' in them. Perhaps he was referring to their lacklustre stares that come from years of mind numbing cult activities, or a general hollowness of soul. It made me think that maybe God works through others, not just JWs.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

They haven't been here, ever in 5 years.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I might try:-

Jesus died for me you say, so what happens now?

If he has already paid the price why do I have to join any religion and start paying them back with interest by attendance and obedience?

(That's if they don't treat me like a do-not-call which they often do)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit