Pioneer Encouragement - "You can sit in the back room"

by 4thgen 30 Replies latest jw friends

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Last night one of the pioneers stopped by on her way home from the Pioneer Meeting. She has always been very kind and I believe she is acted out of concern, however her visit was unsettling. She mentioned that all the pioneers were counseled to invite everyone they know “inactive or those who has had life has got them down” to come to (a special?) a meeting. “You know Satan has been so busy. It doesn’t seem to be physical lately, but all mental issues. Many of the friends are having so much anxiety and depression it is unbelievable”

Then she said, “We have made arrangements for those inactive ones that don’t want to dress up to sit in the back room. They don’t have to worry about getting dressed or even talking to anyone. You know, you can just walk in and sit down and no one would bother you. “

She asked how I was and said as usual, “Terrific, very happy.” I asked how she was (she deals with depression) she hedged and said "I’ve been doing fine” Evidently she wasn’t going to confide in me, so I changed the subject.

Yes, she is as nice as she can be, so I don’t believe that she actually knew how it sounded. I can sit in the back room if not dressed properly? There would be no conversation? All the friends are having mental problems….well, duh!

The thought ran through my head to yell “Cult!”, but I thought better of it. It probably would have frightened her and scared the neighbors. So, I just kept thinking as she rattled on “That used to be me!....I am so over this.”

• Gayle
    Gayle

“Terrific, very happy.”

Love this response,,they truly don't know how to respond to 'happiness.' Sometimes it even makes them angry.

Anyway, their backroom is for the 'naughty.' Don't want to dress up? It's like you're second rate, so "sit in the back of the bus."

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

You might have asked her whether the Holy Spirit also enters the "sackcloth-and-ashes" room during services. Or, does the sight of casual clothing also offend it?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

They don’t have to worry about getting dressed or even talking to anyone. You know, you can just walk in and sit down and no one would bother you. “

---

so they'll completely ignore you and isolate you from the group? weren't you getting that treatment anyway?

--

your floggings will continue until your morale improves.....

• sir82
    sir82

Oh yeah, that will make them feel better.....

"Hey look at all the weak ones gathered together in one place! Wow, I never knew Sister X was weak! Hmm, I wonder if she is really depressed or just spiritually lazy?"

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

4th gen:

I am a long time "fader". It may be a coincidence, but I got a phone call out of the blue from somebody (a JW) who I haven't heard from in quite a while. So, if words similar to what you report come out of her mouth I will tell her as politely as I can, that I am not interested. Of course, this is an insult to my intelligence.

Just when you think you are out, they want to pull you back in.

The religion is in trouble and is just plain desperate, in my opinion. I do feel it is because they know that the best and most responsible people they ever had (and will ever hope to have) are long gone.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Oh I forgot this part...she commented how nice my son is and how he has grown. I mentioned that we have been discussing Jesus' command to "love your neighbor as yourself" I explained that he has been involved with me in charity work and how he is growing into a very caring young man. The comment threw her off....I could tell that I was speaking a foreign language to her.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Ha ha thats funny

"Charity work= Does not compute" in JW land.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder, is this just a local initiative ? I doubt it somehow, this all seems to be part of a new thrust instigated by the WT to try to stop the "hole in the bucket" that is the constant dribble of people leaving.

They probably think it is far more productive to try to snatch somebody back in to the cult rather than try to make a new recruit. They are probably right.

Beware inactive ones ! you will get some sort of call before long !

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

My completely faded elder for 30+ years father in law is now being activly talked to. His wife is still in, and one almost 50 year old son is currently activly studying. It seems like it is a specific push. Maybe those who have family still in will be pressured harder and subtly threatened. I can see that happening with all that I have learned about this group. FIL will have it very hard if his wife pressures him. As far as I know she as been hands off with his decision to walk away, all in one day, in the late 70's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit