The kindness of (worldly) strangers

by moley 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moley
    moley

Problemaddict

i was surfing at Bantham, South Devon, England. Yes the water was cold, but the surf was perfect one of those days when everything comes together.

Surfing is the only time I feel completely free. I surfed hell of a lot when I was in. Often counselled on it, f%^k you i said (in my mind)

• prologos
    prologos

A very elderly brother was stuck at a check-out of a big box store, could not deal with the card/scanner/pin, he fumbled for some time. The brother behind him just watched. A man down the queue (line) that was now building, looked at the small items, profferd his own card, payed, and the backlog cleared quickly.

the jw behind that elderly brother was I, me?

never thought myself of doing that instant act of kindness, that I am so pleased to remember now.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

My mum would say lucky you were not kiddnapped and used as a sex slave by the worldly perverts. The coffee they gave you could have been drugged...they are all sex maniacs in the world. Have sex ALL the time.

• Mum
    Mum

I got "in trouble" with my elder husband twice for babysitting. Once I watched a sister's toddler so she could take her other preschooler to the dentist. Wrong! If she wasn't going out in service, I was not to babysit ever. The other occasion was when I babysat for our Bible study/student. I can't remember why. Anyway, her husband later complained about my husband's attitude.

After some time, I realized that I was not considered an adult, capable of deciding for myself when or how to be helpful. I also came to realize that I had been a better person before becoming a JW. The die was cast.

• carla
    carla

I'm just trying to figure this part out- "yesterday I went surfing............it was a freezing cold day"

How cold could it be if you were surfing? It's all relative I guess, really cold is how the weather has been around here lately minus 20- minus 40 with the wind chill. It is a balmy nearly 20 out today! Spring is on the way!

Glad you were not left stranded.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My immediate and extended family would sing choruses of this refrain. Worldly people are good. Witnesses cannot be trusted. I lived in a white ethnic neighborhood. One that became famous. We turned to our neighbors.

Both my parents worked. Their fellow employees helped in times of crisis. We never wanted the Witnesses knowing our business.

• humbled
    humbled

I wasn't raised "in the Truth" so I had already experienced people outside of the KHs who were tremendously kind and giving.

There were numerous acts of kindness to me and my family within my years as a Witness in several congregations. But there was a troubling feature to some of this. We were well liked yet not really involved with any "cliques". there were cliques and if some weren't personally likeable or they were troubled (and isn't that what defines humanity?) they were not noticed so much.It bothered me.

There were individuals who were notable for kindness, but it seemed that this was their nature. When, for instance my car was destroyed, an fine old elder simply,quietly gave me his sound, drivable old Toyota (he was a convert).

Other faith communities or individuals of other faiths I was around did as well or better than the JWs in the area of kindness. that's what I have seen.

In the 90's we went to a very small midwestern congregation where there was only one youngish elder(a convert). He tried hard to implement fairness without favoritism in the way the cong worked(the cong was on the verge of dissolution when we moved there--No elders at all, there'd been a scandal of some sort and many members were under "reproof"). But the system ate away at them too. I heard that his children became notable for behaving like "sons of Eli" and got off scot free.

O, the kindness I received from non-witnesses after my exit--

I got cancer--And the local JWs knew of it. the son of my bible teacher (He not a JW) saw me often. But his mother --of course not. An atheist old friend of mine made it her business to drive me daily to my radiation and checked in on me always--and many many others--many, many others. I never lacked for love. It was wonderful.

Maeve

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit