The kindness of (worldly) strangers

by moley 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moley
    moley

Yesterday I went surfing, when I had finished and got changed I tried to start my car, no joy. There were about 12 cars in the car park and the occupants of 8 of the cars all tried to help out at some point as they could see I was having difficulties, one guy even drove to a garage 5 miles away to get me a coffee I didn't even ask for as it was a freezing cold day and a couple of them let me sit in their cars to warm up while I waited for the rac.

Contrast this to a time when I was in and my car wouldn't start (different car lol) in a kh car park and all I got was snarky comments, or advice in passing but no one stopped to help out.

I know who I prefer, has anyone else been helped by the evil worldly's while ignored by the loving JW's

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Having been raised in the disgusting JW cult I have seen the coldness that permeates the congregations. There have been some genuine JWs that helped me out though....suffice to say they would shun me now that I'm an 'apostate(TM)'.

The WBT$ cult conditions the love out of us. I think this is why I feel detatched sometimes.

I know who I prefer,

In the long run the 'worldly(TM)' people are the ones that do charity work and genuinely help by and large more than the pompus JW types.

I'd say on balance a JW is less likely to feel much human compassion.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Worldly people..

When I was 18 and got my first little motorbike, I had the adventurous idea of riding from London to Scotland and back. Being an over excited youth with poor planning I set off with not enough funds and by Leeds I had ran out of petrol.. and money.

Complete strangers at each gas station from Leeds to Scotland and all the way back to London very generously kept topping up my tank so I could complete my trip and then make it all the way home to London.

In Yorkshire one Sunday morning I was parked in a little village and I heard a voice from the 1st floor of a cottage window shout: "Hello! Are you hungry?" A minute or two later they came out to the street holding a very large plate of Sunday roast! and handed it to me.

On that same trip I set up my tent in a large forest on a dirt track. At about 6am I was woken to the sound of a chain saw and trees crashing down around me. It was a lumberjack who without a word cut down 2 trees one behind and one in front of my tent so as to prevent me from being run over and crushed by the big logger trucks that were transporting logs from the forest.

Witnesses..

In my first congregation when I first came into the truth at 18 and had been studying for a year my mother actually threw me out of the house because of my 'stand for the truth'. I told the congregation of my situation and despite now being homeless not a single person came to my assistance or offered to help or support me in any way whatsoever.

Winter time: I used to have to do a 3 mile walk to the hall and back twice a week to get to the meetings often in pouring rain or almost a foot of snow. I had several large families of witnesses that lived but a minute from my home that would just drive past me in their large half empty cars and just smile and wave but never offer me a lift.

Once I had to go into hospital for an operation. I told the surgeon of my view and stand on the blood issue. He informed me that there could be complications and problems if I refused the possibility of a blood transfusion. I stood my ground. I woke from the operation with a tube of what looked like blood going into my shoulder where they performed the surgery. Still dazed from the anesthetic I ripped it out. The nurse came running and told me it was not a transfusion but simply a tube to catch and drain the blood and fluid from my wound.

During my few days in the hospital followed by 6 weeks at home of rehabilitation. I was not supported by or even visited by a single person in the congregation. I was left to deal with this 'no blood' situation completely alone. I was 19 years old. And yes during all these experiences I was pioneering.

So.. yes I have been shown more kindness, hospitality, generosity compassion and love from complete non-witness strangers than I ever have by my so called spiritual brothers and sisters.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

When we were bible students, the JW's were extremely helpful to us. We moved on a Saturday, went to the meeting at the local KH Sunday. Immediately after the meeting, we had 7 strangers come to our house and unload our entire moving truck in an hour.

I had surgery, and 3 JW women came over and cleaned my house while I was in the hospital.

We were in a seriuos auto accident, and my husband's neck was fractured. He was visited by the JW's, but it quickly became evident that the elders were more concerned that he might accept blood, than how he was doing physically.

The JW's always treated us like a shiny prize. We had a darling 2 year old daughter, and infant son. What a joy it was to see us at the meetings! Haha.

Of course, that all changed when we started asking questions about the Watchtower and its history.

Since I've known only several JW's and had many more REAL friends in my life, I'm not a good judge.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Great story!

Here's a classic story from about 25 years ago: A car group is out in "the field" with sister Zealous Nutjob when they see another car group full of sisters broken down on the side of the road attempting to change a tire. The "car captain" brother naturally pulls over to give them a hand, at which point sister Nutjob proceeds to have a nervous breakdown because they are now "stealing time from Jehovah" and starts crying uncontrollably. The brother ignored her and changed the flat for the other car group and then brought sister Nutjob back to the hall where she proceeded to "tell on" him to the elders for what he had done.

They've got some real gems in this organization!

• clarity
    clarity

Hi Moley ... you have had some awful experiences

and must have been very disappointed, to say the least!

When we are sick & alone or really need love

& help from other people ... we are in a vulnerable

position. JW's make promises from the platform

that are rarely kept!

"I told the congregation of my situation and despite now being

homeless not a single person came to my assistance or offered

to help or support me in any way whatsoever"(Dis-Member)

I had a similar experience one time... a jw with a

big house did offer help ......

....a cot out in the cold garage for the nite!!!!

Awww you have to just laugh!

clarity

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Moley:

Of course, a person should be careful who offers them assistance when stuck in a public place, especially women. Your safety comes first and you should trust your instincts.

But, that aside, sad to say, the Jehovah's Witnesses are piss-poor in being charitable or humanitarian. The only people in that religion who have the best chance of assistance of any sort are those who are part of an extended family. Anybody else can go fly a kite.

Witnesses have had their humanity stripped away slowly by the religion and when faced with the prospect of having to help somebody, these thoughts enter their minds:

(1) is the person an approved associate?

(2) is it a "sister" and will it look appropriate? What will people think?

(3) will it take time away from other "theocratic" pursuits which will then take away from my popularity or status in the kingdom hall?

(4) will anybody NOTICE and will I get credit for doing this?

Once somebody has to go through those mental gymnastics, it's hopeless..........Now, contrast that to a so-called worldly person who doesn't have any of these hang-ups (assuming the person is not a predator-criminal).

IN general, it would be easier to find water in the desert than getting help from the Witnesses.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I have had good and bad experiences with both JW's and regular people. I can't say one is better or worse than another. People are people. Good people do good things.

Lately for some reason if I go through a starbucks drive through, I have had people paying for my coffee in front of me. Maybe they give me a wave, but usually they are already gone. Just simple nice things to do for other people are a big deal.

Moley where were you surfing in the freezing cold? Ouch!

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

"Compassion" is one of the many words that the JW's have twisted the definition of in order to suit elitism and exclusion. "Mercy" is another, but no where do they fail more at the perverse defining of words then that of "humanitarianism."

Yes, they can be nice. Yes, they can be helpful. But due to the enclosed nature of their ideals, compassion, mercy, and humanitarianism are lost to everyone in the world but themselves... which in a sense negates all meaning to their actions.

• millie210
    millie210

In my experience, people are people and kindness is lurking everywhere. With the JWs, every thing involves judging, Are they "worldly"/in the truth? Are they weak/strong? Are they rich/poor? On and on it goes.

When that kind of constant "judging" is going on non stop AND you are taught that you are "thinking like God thinks" it lowers the innate kindness level in people. The idea that going out in service fulfills ones entire moral obligation is all part of the mindset also.

The end result is people who are LESS kind than average.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit