Did You Ever Learn Anything From The Meetings?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I found the meetings to be especially boring from the late 1980s on. Before that, we actually tried to make people want to listen. The meetings were pretty interesting. But that was a long time ago.

• minimus
  • smiddy
    smiddy

What I learned was to never go back again .

smiddy

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

min,

The first meeting I went to in 1973, I took a red letter KJ bible and the speaker explained a red letter verse from another angle I never heard of before.

It impressed me at the time.

The last time I went to a meeting I learned that I will never go to another meeting EVER..again

why did it take so long?

insot4

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Learned to find bible verses quickly and learned how to make pretty borders in my notebook.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Yes...but i have unlearnt it all now....

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I have never ever learnt a single thing from any meeting ever. If I have learnt anything it has been through only personal and private reading, study and research.

The content of your average meeting would not even keep an 12 year old of average intelligence entertained. When in meetings I would just sit and dig through my Bible playing the hop-scotch reference game or spend my time studying other peoples body language.

Being seen to attend meetings is like doing hours in the ministry. it's about guilt.

• zebagain
    zebagain

That i disliked brothers who "Jehovah'd" us to death in prayer; saying J evry line.

That I disliked Elder drones on for using up every last second of his time for the sake of prattle. "We have a few more minutes.."etc. We didnt, the meeting was finished, it was abuse of freedom of speech to suddenly and repeatedly find those "One more thing" s.

That i disliked those "scripture strafers" who quoted a different scripture every few seconds to give their talk relevance and us no time to ponder the scripture.

That I disliked the above speakers who would take an answer from the audience and immediately look at the clock. rude rude rude. If worried about the precious time then leave out the standard wt waffle at the end of the meeting.

That such talks were an excellent time to do pelvic retractions exercises doing 50 retractions in a row-resting then doing more.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I learned some historical stuff but I even question that now.

I learned about people in that some Bros would give a little expose of what they experienced in life rather than deluded JW crap. What I mean is where they recounted something during WW2 that they lived thru by way of illustrating a WBT$ point. The point was lost, the personal experience enjoyed.

I learned how to be very patient and occupy my own mind when bored to death.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Similar to punkofnice. I learned patience and how to occupy my thoughts. I now am very patient when it comes to public transport delays, flight delays and waiting in line at shops etc.......

Also similar to Dis-Member, I have learnt more through documentaries and magazine articles than I did at the KH.

I was also very good at talking to people I actually thought were complete jerks/bitches. No more brown nosing for me now though!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit