Do you think that the WT has gotten stranger as time goes by or is it that with distance comes perspective?

by 4thgen 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 4thgen
    4thgen

The preaching the jw.org thing is so strange. The two generations "new light" is crazy. But then again I look back at some of the things I believed and taught wonder 'what was I thinking'? Are things stranger now or do we just see things clearer once removed from influence?

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Yes I agree completely.. could not have put it better myself.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

I'm not so sure...

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

see things clearer once removed from influence

This one.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I don't think they're getting 'stranger' as in eccentric.

Compare:

*** kj 377 20 Land of Magog No More to Threaten Mankind ***
    The unburied dead, those slain by Jehovah, will be so enormously many that even the carrion birds and scavenging wild beasts could never take care of their consumption. The burial of even what remains after these lower creatures have their fill would be stupendous. Doubtless the Almighty God will use some highly scientific means, whether including antimatter or not, to dispose of the surplus of decaying bodies in a speedy and sanitary way. This remains for the survivors of the war of the great day to see and witness.

*** yw 322 12 The "Prince" of the Sanctuary Stands Up ***
    In this prophecy God warns that he will also use other natural forces that are at his disposal, possibly a rain of antimatter that has the property of annihilating any material thing that it meets.

*** yw 323 12 The "Prince" of the Sanctuary Stands Up ***
    25. How could Jehovah God use these cosmic rays to affect the king of the north and the king of the south, and what other natural force might he use in his work?

"The face of the deep, of course, would be toward the Pleiades, which are claimed to be the habitation of Jehovah." (Creation; 1927; 2,175,000 ed.; p. 94)

"The constellation of the seven stars forming the Pleiades appears to be the crowning center around which the known systems of the planets revolve even as our sun's planets obey the sun and travel in their respective orbits. It has been suggested, and with much weight, that one of the stars of that group is the dwelling-place of Jehovah and the place of the highest heavens;..." (Reconciliation; 1928; p. 14)

"The constellation of the Pleiades is a small one compared with others which scientific instruments disclose to the wondering eyes of man. But the greatness in size of other stars or planets is small when compared with the Pleiades in importance, because the Pleiades is the place of the eternal throne of God." (Reconciliation; 1928; p. 14)

I do however, believe the watchtower(R) is getting more harsh, unloving and cult like. Consider the 'mentally diseased apostate' article and the shunning of family members.

I think they've gone from downright crazy to hateful.

• blondie
    blondie

Stranger than the comments in the Consolation and the Golden Age. God living in the Pleiades. Abraham, Abel, Job, David being resurrected perfect on earth in 1925 to rule on the earth in Jerusalem.

Radio Biola

http://www.seanet.com/~raines/biola.html

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah, the bizarreness quotient has decreased considerably since the demise & death of Freddy Franz & the surrounding old-timers.

The primary change in recent years is the unceasing & repeated demands for complete and utter submission to the Octopopelets. That's no so much "strange" as it is "disconcerting".

• inbetween
    inbetween

How true, less crazy but annoying frequent demand of obedience, more rules and regulations...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

4thgen:

From what I have read and heard through the grapevine (I am a long-time "fader"), I would say the JW religion has gotten harsher and more unloving. All this talk about "obedience" and "loyalty" press the wrong buttons, I'm afraid.

Any organization who keeps insisting on "loyalty" is making an emotional appeal to disgruntled people to keep them from leaving!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

4thGen: I suspect you are a younger person (at least younger than me). If you're only able to think/look back 20 years or so, then Yes, WT is stranger. But if you look back 50-100 years, WT has become much more "mainstream". No more "miracle wheat" or bans on aluminum, bans on vaccinations, DF for married JWs who engage in oral sex (OK, that was New Lite over 40 years ago), etc. JWs have been allowed to live an almost "normal" life in recent decades.

Of course, limiting our lookback to just a couple decdes, the OverLapping Generation is a HOOT. Who else would think they are entitled to give their own new definition to a word like "generation" that needs no additional clarification?

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit