A mormon pm's me

by paranoia agent 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• paranoia agent
    paranoia agent

Hi, PA.

Just read your thread about oblivion to oblivion, watched the video you posted and wondered if you'd be willing to let me send you some videos on the Book of Mormon. As you may know, I'm LDS and I believe there's substantial evidence for the historicity of the book. But I'm also aware there's evidence and proof. As someone who is searching, you'd be someone who would be objective. The Book of Mormon also teaches that many things would be taken out of the scriptures in our day, and it indicates that people would question Jesus Christ. Thus, if the historicity of the book can be proven, then Jesus is, after all, the Jewish messiah and God. In fact, that's the primary reason it came forth, to be a new witness of Jesus Christ.

I understand many ex-JWs tend to be bitter and, frankly, cynical. Some become agnostics and others atheists. Very few are in any mood to continue searching. From a psychological standpoint, the Society was the shining city on a hill, and if it wasn't what it claimed to be, then nothing else could be, either.

But you indicated that you're reading. If so, I'd like to hear about your experiences in the WTBTS and what it was that led you out of it. Were you a convert or born into it? I saw you joined the site in 2010. Were you out by that time?

The Book of Mormon is said to a volume of scripture written by the descendents of Lehi, a wealthy Jerusalem merchant of the tribe of Joseph. He also was a prophet. He and his family were led from the city shortly before its destruction in 587 B.C. (not 607) to a land of promise which would be Joseph's land of inheritance. Years before, Jacob had given his sons their patriarchal blessings. Interestingly, Judah was given the land of Jerusalem until the coming of the Christ (See Gen. 49). But Joseph received the birthright. So where were his lands of inheritance?

"Joseph is a fruitful bough, even a fruitful bough by a well; whose branches run over the wall: The archers have sorely grieved him, and shot at him, and hated him, but his bow abode in strength, and the arms of his hands were made strong by the hands of the mighty God of Jacob." (verses 22-24). Mormons believe that Lehi was the bough, the branches of which ran over the wall and settled in the New World. Instead of going into detail, however, I have two production quality DVDs that I think make a superlative case for the book.

If you would be willing to let me send you the videos, I can promise you that you will at least enjoy them and find them informative. They're not preachy, but contain substantial evidence that it is what it purports to be.

Let me know. If it's not of interest, no offense will be taken. I just know that it's been of great comfort to me and that it has a historical side that can be investigated from an intellectual standpoint. Should you want to take a stab at it, please drop me a line. And, if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to hear your story.

Cheers!

John

Hi John, thanks for the pm that you sent more than a month ago, if you don't mind I like I to leave all conversations in the open so I have started a thread regarding your pm in which you can respond to, thread name is A mormon pm's me. In the case of spamming I have left your email out.

There is an aspect to Mormonism that I can relate to Jehovah's Witnesses, you have levels in which the further up you go the more information you will be provided with, like the teachings of polygamy in the higher rankings. Another aspect would be that just like jw's it's a lot like the mafia, that is you need prerequisites to get in, you need prerequisites to stay and there are repercussions to leave.

Also why is it that your temples are a lot like freemason temples and why are there books for freemasons that calls Joseph Smith their brotheren?

You speak of an historical side? Really? that everything occurred in America?

While we are at it do you have answer to the contrary of what ex members have to say?

PA

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Cult recruitment does go on here and sadly some fall for it.

It is nuts that people can convert to LDS with eyes wide open, if they do it is because they have never really understood what they left behind in the JWs nor have they learnt any critical thinking skills and developed a functional BullShit meter.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wish believers in things like the LDS church would honestly go through the process we went through when leaving the WT/JW Scam posing as a religion.

Thoroughly investigate the history of the church, using only outside sources, as a starting point, then continue with the doctrines etc , if necessary.

Would Almighty God have anything to do with such a thing ?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

I understand many ex-JWs tend to be bitter and, frankly, cynical. Some become agnostics and others atheists. Very few are in any mood to continue searching.

---

Ironically, many ex-JWs arrive at this point precisely because they "continued searching".

This person seems to think the logical progression when exiting WT is to immediately immerse yourself in yet another silly cult and become a victim once again.

I'd really like to see all this alleged "evidence" which supports LDS claims, Re: "historicity". Like WT, Mormons seem to think that because their church says it, it must be true...and everyone else should believe it too.

"look at our literature, we say we're the true religion...see, it says so right here'.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Wow that is insidious indeed, thanks for the warning PA, Kate xx

• Witness My Fury
  • Caedes
    Caedes

I wish believers in things like the LDS church would honestly go through the process we went through when leaving the WT/JW Scam posing as a religion.

Thoroughly investigate the history of the church, using only outside sources, as a starting point, then continue with the doctrines etc , if necessary.

Phizzy,

They do, there are websites exactly like this one for ex-mormons. Full of people saying the exact same things that are said on here.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

yea, I know Caedes, and that is what I meant by outside sources, along with other resources of course.

That is where the word "honestly" came in too, surely someone honestly interested in truth, and Mormons call their brand "The Truth" too, surely someone like that would look at all information ?

Would Mormon John advise an honestly searching JW to only look at JW.org for info on the WT ?

But will he honestly examine his own religion ?

If not, we really do not want his sort here.

• cantleave
    cantleave

This is why I constantly call out people like Cold Steel - they are here to recruit for their brand of cult.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I sympathise but I also am a bit sad you posted a pm in public without prior agreement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit