Undeclared changes to the 2013 NWT

by Doug Mason 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• smiddy
    smiddy

'I wonder why he's not in the truth?'

Hey, I often said that myself ,after reading a quote ( taken out of context ) by some authourity.It`s only after you discover the deception of the society that you begin to wake up .

smiddy

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"it is evident that none of these verses were included in the original manuscripts." What is this evidence that allows the use of the word "evident".

We are not told, as usual.

Of course no one can know for sure what was in the original Autograph M.S.

Textual Criticism can only take a (very) educated guess. Some of the M.S that did not include the verses from John that the W.T label "spurious" do not contain the whole of that section of John, so the verses in question may well have been in those M.S.

The 2013 NWT is even more a Bible edition, I do not call it a Translation, that is produced to bolster the WT's strange Theology and strange understanding of scripture.

It is even more dishonest than its predecessor.

• Perry
    Perry

Yes. The occult-practicing Wescott and Hort team was highly valued by Fred Franz.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Perry:

Very interesting link. Thanks

Take Care

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Another interesting change in the 2013 NWT:

(1 Corinthians 16:2 Old NWT) . . .Every first day of the week let each of YOU at his own house set something aside in store as he may be prospering, so that when I arrive collections will not take place then.

(1 Corinthians 16:2 rNWT) . . .On the first day of every week, each of you should set something aside according to his own means, so that collections will not take place when I arrive. . .

The bolded, underlined part in the old was removed in the new. Commented on in the first bulleted point on this post.

• Splash
    Splash

Another change from the NWT to the RNWT from Psalm 2:12

NWT: Kiss the son, that He may not become incensed, And YOU may not perish [from] the way

RNWT: Honor the son, or God* will become indignant, And you will perish from the way
    *Footnote: Literally "he".

• careful
    careful
    Thanks Splash. What does "perish from the way" mean? If they were looking to make the revision more intelligible, they missed something here!
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

So in John 17: 3 they have dropped " Taking in knowledge of you"

Actually, it has been moved to footnote status.

Do not forget that that wording was the entire theme of the "study book" that preceded the Bible teach book.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

careful: "What does "perish from the way" mean? If they were looking to make the revision more intelligible, they missed something here!"

The problem here is that the Hebrew text itself is not explicit. It literally says:

"kiss Son lest he-is-angry and-you-perish way." The KJV and the NWT add "[from]" -- following suggestions from ancient versions as shown by Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible:

"and ye perish from the way; the Syriac version renders it ‘from his way’, the Son's way; and the Septuagint and Vulgate Latin versions ‘from the righteous way’; and the Arabic version ‘from the way of righteousness’; or ‘as to the way’, as others (m), the good way; all to one sense; meaning that way of righteousness, salvation and eternal life by Jesus Christ, which being missed by persons, they are eternally lost and undone: some render it ‘because of the way’ (n); that is, because of their sinful course of life; for the way of the ungodly shall perish itself, and therefore they that pursue it shall perish also: others render it ‘in the way’ (o); and then the sense is, lest they perish in the midst of their course of sin, in their own evil way, they: have chosen and delighted in, or, to use the words of Christ, ‘die in their sins’, John 8:21, and everlastingly perish; for this perishing is to be understood not of corporeal death, in which sense righteous men perish, but of everlasting destruction: or the word which is rendered ‘from the way’ may be translated ‘suddenly’ (p), ‘immediately’, or ‘straightway’, and our English word ‘directly’ is almost the same; and so may design the swift and sudden destruction of such persons who provoke the Son to wrath and anger; which sense is confirmed by what follows."

Pulpit Commentary simply says:

"‘And ye perish from the way; or, as to the way.’ To anger the Son is to bring destruction on our ‘way,’ or course in life."

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I'm wondering how many times they took out the name Jesus and replaced it with the name Jehovah? After using any other Bible but their over the last couple of years it's apauling so see the word Jehovah all over the new testamant, much more then before I believe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit