Undeclared changes to the 2013 NWT

by Doug Mason 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Ding
    Ding

I wouldn't be surprised to hear JWs say that "taking in knowledge of" and "coming to know" mean the same thing.

Can't admit Christendom was right...

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

Thanks for your comments and help.

I see no problem in bringing the English language into a more modern sense.

I might be a bit cynical and suggest that the purpose of this 2013 edition is more to do with the pages that precede Genesis. They are a "guide" to any JW who might be tempted to read the Bible outside the texts referenced by the WTS (its "canon within a Canon").

These verses that are listed as omitted do not appear in many other modern translations nor do they appear in the Westcott & Hort or in the Nestle-Aland. So the comments about the omitted verses at pages 1729-1730 are probably addressed to people familiar with the King James Version. There is a voice on the www which decries the WH, favouring the textus receptus.

Thus, when we ignore their comments about these omitted verses, all we are left with is the vague "some other wording has been adjusted". I am slightly under-impressed.

Doug

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Thanks! Marked

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

So in John 17: 3 they have dropped " Taking in knowledge of you"

Actually, it has been moved to footnote status.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

So in John 17: 3 they have dropped " Taking in knowledge of you"

Actually, it has been moved to footnote status.

• jam
    jam

Oubliette: "so, the scholarly work of the anonymous NWT committee

is based on some other Scholars work". LOL

The WT is bat sh--t crazy. On one hand higher education is a waste

of time and then on the other hand they base their teaching on Westcott-British

Bishop and a professor, Hort also a professor of divinity and Nestle, Aland

both professors. The Bible Societies formed in 1946 from 13 countries , scholars.

WTH, why not the GB lock themseleves up in a room, get on their knees and pray

to Jehovah, tell us the truth. What happen to the Holy Spirit??

A bunch bozos.

• InChristAlone
    InChristAlone

As I remarked in my analysis on visiting the KH for the first time, "taking in accurate knowledge" and "knowing" are very much different when applied to the practice of JWs vs Christendom. Just like taking in accurate knowledge of the president and knowing the president are widely different.

• Listener
    Listener

No doubt many of these scholars would be christian themselves and here is the organization relying on them and then condemn them to death.

• jam
    jam

Listener: The response of the average JW, Jehovah have used evil

people in the past to get his word out. So there you go, makes a

lot of sense.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

No doubt many of these scholars would be christian themselves . . .

Numerous times I've shown some commentary material to my wife (ususally some point that corresponds to some WT view - only the commentary will often explain it more thoroughly) and the response has been (sometimes at least), 'I wonder why he's not in the truth?'

Very curious, indeed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit