BOE letter: New lights new changes

by pixel 85 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

The thing that really jumped out at me about this is the marginalisation of most countries in the world. This internet-only release for jws privileges those jws in developed countries only, ones with internet. I wonder how jws in poor countries of south America, Africa and Asia feel at being left out like this. If I were them, I'd feel that the wt was promoting elitism. For years the wt had electronic resources available but always made hard copies to be fair to ones with no computer access. Now, only jws with a certain standard of living are able to access the new stuff. How would you feel if you were told, "sorry, you're poor so you don't get the new stuff yet." Talk about discrimination! It's blatant discrimination against all those faithful drudges living in bamboo or adobe huts in rural Asia, India, Africa and the central- South Americas.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

They pick and choose when they decide to care about what scholars' views are.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The point here is the increasingly amorphous nature of the “unchangeable” beliefs of this “god directed” secretive society.

How do you research what you are supposed to believe now? You may well have one version in print, another on WT library and yet another for the same publication on line. Even a conscientious dub is not going to know what he is supposed to think or where he stands.

There is so much potential confusion, how does anyone offer clear answers to fair questions?

We in the UK have been trying to follow in our old NWT editions whilst the elite have been using their silver bullets on the platform. It can be difficult to follow. The whole picture is getting more confused, hazier and less convincing by the day. It is like trying to follow the rapidly changing policies of a failing political party as it tries to synch irreconcilable conflicting interests.

You could go on line and find that every thing you thought you knew is now different. It’s like trying to walk on rapidly melting ice over deep, dark cold water.

There are going to be some very wet feet soon.

• LogCon
    LogCon

m

• sd-7
    sd-7

You could go on line and find that every thing you thought you knew is now different. It’s like trying to walk on rapidly melting ice over deep, dark cold water.

Death by exile

--sd-7

• ?evrything
    ?evrything

That chart has me cracking up

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

What a dumb and boring "adjustment." Also, why would the Great 8 even care about what non-FDS scholars of Christendom think? I mean, who's in charge of dispensing spiritual food here, Christendom or the FDS?!? I think they just like to claim that they are not dogmatic like "false" religions. They have to use whatever opportunities they can, even the most boring and inconsequential ones. Not one JW in a thousand will even understand those sentences or why they were ever changed.

DD

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

the changes are in paragraph 7 and 8 in the first chapter of Draw Close to Jehovah book, and I fail to see any doctrine change. Let's examine this NEW LIGHT they quote with this letter. Let's see a word for word comparison on what many will be talking about in meetings about the wonderful new light and evidence that they are the faithful slave.....

Book version quote - "Jehovah" literally means "He Causes to Become". NEW VERSION - "Jehovah" is understood to mean "He Causes to Become".

WOW!!! So Jehovah doesn't literally mean, it's just understood to mean. Thank you new light!!!!!

Some more.....

Book version quote - "True, he brought all things into existence. That in itself is an awe-inspiring thought." NEW VERSION " He is unique in all the universe, for he brought all things into existence, and he causes all his purposes to be fulfilled."

Book version quote - "But is that the point of God's name?" NEW VERSION - " But is there another facet to the meaning of God’s name?"

Book version quote - "You see, the divine name was not new. People had been using it for centuries." NEW VERSION: You see, he knew that Jehovah is the Creator, and he knew God’s name. The divine name was not new. People had been using it for centuries."

Book version quote -"What does God's personal name literally mean?" NEW VERSION "What is God's personal name understood to mean?"

Book version quote - "In response Jehovah explained the meaning of his name" NEW VERSION " In response Jehovah revealed a thrilling aspect of his personality, something that is related to the meaning of his name."

Book version quote - "But the careful rendering in the New World Translation shows that God was not merely affirming his own existence. NEW VERSION " But careful renderings show that God was not merely affirming his own existence. "

That's it!!

I think they changed many words around to perhaps cover up something. The biggest changes I see is that Jehovah no longer LITERALLY MEANS, but now they put "is understood to mean". They also took out the new world translation as a careful rendering and just say careful rendering.

Could it be they learned that YHWH "literally" means something else and they are trying to cover up that after 100 years of supposedly being the truth and preachers of truth, that those they call false religion understood what Jehovah's name meant and that the so called faithful slave got it wrong al along?

If you look up what YHWH or Jehovah means, you'll see something like this....

Scholars widely propose that the name YHWH is a verb form derived from the Biblical Hebrew triconsonantal root היה ( h-y-h ) "to be", which has הוה ( h-w-h ) as a variant form, with a third person masculine y- prefix . [6] It is connected to the passage in Exodus 3:14 in which God gives his name as אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה ( Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh ), where the verb, translated most basically as " I am that I am " or "I shall be what I shall be", "I shall be what I am". [7] יהוה with the vocalization "Yahweh" could theoretically be a hif'il ( causative ) verb inflection of root HWH, with a meaning something like "he who causes to exist" or "who gives life" (the root idea of the word being "to breathe", and hence, "to live"). [8] As a qal (basic stem) verb inflection, it could mean "he who is, who exists". [6]

So the only new light I see is that the GB may be trying to cover up their mistakes.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Ironically, I finished reading 1984 yesterday.

that chart is incredible! so true!

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I seem to recall reading something about people who "debate about words"... now where was that, and who did that apply to?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit