been on jwn for about a year, here is what i've learned or had an inkling about

by nowwhat? 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Advice to "man up" is seldom helpful, you are saying, in effect, your concerns are not valid, I know better than you what is the right thing to do.

Pay no attention to this kind of help, only you know what is best in your situation. I feel for those who have to stay in, for whatever reason. I will say that when I left, I felt tremendous relief, I only wish I had left sooner. The important thing is that you know TTATT and will never again be mentally enslaved to a heartless corporation.

Those who are still in can do valuable work reporting on what's going on and maybe planting a few seeds of doubt.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

TTATHElder: My exit will take much longer unfortunately.

Farkel: Own up to your own hypocrisy and get the f--- out of that stupid cult, and don't whine about about, make excuses about it, or cry about it.

For many people, it's more complicated. Some people have families, friends, employers, people they're helping. It's not always easy to pick up and leave. The Society has thought things through and it knows how to keep people quiet and controlled. Even though divorce might not be an option, children can think of their father as a worldly apostate, wives can withdraw and weep. The family environment can become hostile, so please give the guy a break. His employer might be a JW or his best friend might be a member.

Granted, I've never been a JW. When someone begins to have doubts, I have no idea how they're treated. Concern? Love? Intimidation? A trip to the back room?

Once one comes to a realization that it's a religion based on fairy tales, they're pretty much inoculated against it. The cloak of invisibility that hides the incredible exegeses is astounding. Nothing is verifiable. Miraculous events are all carefully deeschatologized so as to obfuscate the truth. This Red Dragon book I'm reading on the book of Revelation is designed to make members think that they are the fulfillment of prophecy. They are the 144,000 and they are the "large crowd" destined to populate heaven and Earth. When one wants to pull away from this, spouses become resentful that they're now married to apostates. It also affects their social status in the church. Most wives I imagine would be thrilled if their husbands became elders or overseers. None would want to be married to apostates. So if one wants to leave, in many instances it takes time and tact. Build up friends outside of the Organization, fabricate stats for missionary work, read religious books published by members of other religions with opposing interpretations and views (including scholarly works). The Red Dragon book says Jerusalem was destroyed in 606 B.C., but no one factored in the zero year, so it was readjusted to 607 B.C. By reading other books, one can ascertain that that's ridiculous.

But leaving doesn't have to be immediate...probably shouldn't be immediate. It needs to be done with some planning.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

People who are screaming, "JUMP! JUMP!", rarely have your best end-result in mind.

So, unless a fire is raging at your shirttail, and net is outstretched beneath you, find your own way out and down to safety.

• prologos
    prologos

what you do with all the real knowledge you have is yours and will change with time.

It depends also on the local Enforcers of WT paranoia. They may be more scared than any of us on what the consequences of their actions will be, and that will give you leeway.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Religion shouldn't be enforced, especially by church leaders. Nor should you EVER be shunned, especially on the orders of church leaders. I've head of so many cases where the family or friends doesn't want to shun someone, but they fear being victimized themselves.

What would happen if a group left, kept the same doctrines and beliefs, but kept their churches independent? They could even form a GB if they wished, but kept them from exercising dictatorial power? Would Jehovah destroy them as readily as he would, say, a bunch of Methodists?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Good luck on your journey, whereever it takes you.

• Simon
    Simon

Farkel: why the aggressive tone? it's insulting and unneccessary and just makes you look like a prick.

What right do you have to tell people what to do or how to live their life or if their decisions are right or wrong? Isn't that exactly what the GB do and what we criticise them for?

Please stop YOUR 'blathering' if you cannot communicate in a civil manner.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

''Farkel, Gently Prodding CLASS''

• DS211
    DS211

Nowwhat?--it is orwellian 1984meets animal farm--its simple

freedom through slavery.

they give the illusion of freedom, transparency--but behind the curtain they control all things--thoughts, emotions, INFORMATION, behaviour, relationships...basically all aspects of ones life. They give the illusion of free will by telling followers to have their bible student make up their own mind...but the trick comes after baptism. Once you dedicate the game changes, youve given up your freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit