Just got off the phone with my dad!

by Kool Jo 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

Had this conversion with my dad earlier today, he’s an elder…both my parents were laid off during the recession, however, they saved and lived a decent life. They paid off for their homes in their late 20’s, so they never had a mortgage which lingered for years.

Dad: Good morning son, how have you been keeping?

Kool Jo: I’m not too bad, how r u & mum doing?

Dad: We’re doing well, besides your mom found a job after being unemployed for three years.

Kool Jo: This is great news…(I’m happy, because now, she’ll be only doing 1 day in FS).

Dad: By the way, we’ve been approved for a new KHall and the building is coming along quite well…you know our old Hall has been here since 1914!

Kool Jo: Ha Ha dad…good one…yes that old KHall needed a jump start or a new one…

Dad: So our branch is downsizing, just to let you know, and many of the folks there are being sent home….I feel so sorry for them, because some have never worked in the real world nor have any formal education. I mean, who knew we’d still be here? But I still believe the end is near.

Kool Jo: (With a smile)…I agree dad, it’s going to be tough on them…glad I went to college and got my degree and now I have a decent job!

Dad: I’m proud of you son, and I know you’re company will provide financial assistance when you start your MBA next year…go for it son..we don’t know exactly when the end is coming, so we have to live normally.

Kool Jo: Thanks for the support….I really do feel sorry for the folks leaving bethel, some will have to go back living with parents or friends.

Dad: On another note, our congregation is on the radar by the Society.

Kool Jo: What do you mean?

Dad: We received a letter from HQ, stating that our congregation has donated the least over the past decade and that they’re concerned. Besides, we owe them quite a bit. Son, you know we’d like to help, but what we have, is for your mum and I to enjoy our retirement and to do some traveling.

Kool Jo: I agree with you dad, you and mum worked very hard and now it’s time to enjoy it….afterall the HQ told us not to have high-paying jobs or go to school, so where do they expect to get more money from? Most of the folks in your congregation are retired.

Dad: Also, we had the C/O visit and they were a real pain the ass.

Kool Jo: Could you say that again? (My jaw dropped)

Dad: You heard me correctly, they just sponged on us and they never wanted to leave….they overspent their time with us….almost ate down the entire house…

Kool Jo: Don’t worry dad, I’ll send you a cheque to help you with the expenses…but promise me that those brothers they’re sending out to pioneer ect…you won’t accept anyone.

Dad: Ofcourse not son, we don’t want that responsibility…we couldn’t afford it anyways.

Kool Jo: Dad, they’re going to make you feel guilty and pressured…but don’t give in…they’re gonna say you have 3 available rooms.

Dad: I won’t give in to their demands; I’m not spending money on anyone else…beside those that are being sent out have to be liable for their own welfare, according to a letter that was sent out.

Kool Jo: Ok dad, I know you won’t give in.

Dad: Are you getting read ready for work and when are you coming to visit?

Kool Jo: I’m heading in the shower now and will let you know as soon as I book the flight!

Dad: Fair enough son, enjoy your day, love you.

Kool Jo: You do the same; we’ll chat on skype over the weekend!

• KateWild
    KateWild

What a wonderful chat. He is stuck in physically, but mentally your dad is out. Enjoy your time withthem when you fly out

Sam xx

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Sounds like a nice dad.

We received a letter from HQ, stating that our congregation has donated the least over the past decade and that they’re concerned.

I have never heard of that before. They really are on a money hunting mission these days.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

@KateWild: Thanks for your comment...I hope he'll become aware of TTATT before he spends his last years on this planet obeying the borg.

JWFacts: I was quite surprised too, I guess they're trying to get as much money in as possible...the Khall was a cash-cow for the borg...but things have changed, folks come to this side of town to retire to add to the already aged members. My dad is a pretty cool dad, just sucked into the cult.

I hope for the best...but he does have his suspisions about some of the stuff the borg says.

Peace

Kool Jo

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

You are blessed Kool Jo. Your Dad sounds like an ideal non-JW Dad.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• designs
    designs

KL- Nice conversation with your Dad, sounds like you have been able to stay close despite your differences. The -give us money- Letter is bold but I wouldn't put anything past the Bethel accounting department.

All the best

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Wow, nice dad. Good for you!

• Fernando
    Fernando

How is applying pressure like this not soliciting?

Only in Watchtower land, where they supposedly have divine authority to change and twist the meaning of words.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Great conversation!

At your parents age, their entire social network is probably in the Congregation. Remaining a part of that may be the best thing for them in their remaining years. I don't recall your "status" (DF, DA, Fade, etc) but you are one of the fortunate ones to have maintained a good relationship with your parents and obviously your dad feels the same way since he is quite comfortable "dumping" his negative JW-feelings on you. He's not trying to sugar-coat anything.

Yes, keep them from giving anything more than the "widow's mite". Let the WTS use some of their real estate cash.

Doc

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I would bring out the sales of all the properties around the world focuing on Brooklyn and the amounts that have been taken in for those buildings. Also mentioning that all the work on those buildings were donated by brothers like the ones being laid off.

ALso mention that you had read about the Candice Conti case and the money involved etc,..how they offered up the Patterson property as collateral in lieu of the bond payment. Also Hedge funds,..

Sounds like one of his trigger issues is money.

I would work on that as his cult personality allowed it.

NJY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit