"Jesus is My Boyfriend" Christianity

by cofty 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

There is a trend in modern evangelical, charismatic and "non-religious spirituality" that gets dangerously close to erotic love of Jesus.

It's something that I first observed during my christian years especially in the lyrics of christian songs and sometimes during open-prayer times. If you haven't experienced open prayer you are the lucky ones. Everybody adopts the shampoo position - elbows on knees, head in hands - and whoever is "moved by the spirit" speaks up for a while, followed by an awkward silence, followed by two people speaking up at the same time, followed by silence, and so on.

Anyway back to the topic, here are a few random examples ...

"Lord I give You my heart
    I give You my soul
    I live for You alone
    Every breath that I take
    Every moment I’m awake
    Lord have Your way in me"

--------------------

"Draw me close to You
    Never let me go
    I lay it all down again
    To hear You say that I’m Your friend"

----------------------

"You are my desire
    And no one else will do
    ‘Cause nothing else can take Your place
    To feel the warmth of Your embrace"

------------------------

“So we are His portion and He is our prize,
    Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes
    If grace is an ocean we’re all sinking
    So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss and my heart turns violently inside of my chest
    I don’t have time to maintain these regrets when I think about the way That he loves us…”

---------------------------

“Although God certainly loves us even with unshaven legs, no makeup, and a bed-head hairdo, he also deserves to occasionally have his princess sit at his feet while she is looking and feeling her best… You are running away with your Lover, not confining yourself to a convent.” - Shannon Ethridge, Every Woman's Battle

----------------------

"I’ll go to a river, a park, a garden or up in the mountains with my Bible and worship music and hang out with him for an hour or two in beautiful seclusion. At this point, he usually starts showing off, captivating me with his majesty, pointing out amazing things he formed with his bare hands … for me. Taking in sunsets, sunrises, star gazing or walks after rainstorms also make inspiring dates where I’ve communed with him at incredibly deep levels. His presence feels as near as my very breath. No human could touch the holy romance of the intimate moments we share during these times.” - Julia Ferwerda, Crosswalk Magazine

---------------

It's something that I have also observed on the forum. Keep an eye out for it.

No wonder the church in the UK has so few men.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Wow a lot of that is creepy, uncomfortable. Did you ever say anything when you were in the shampoo positon? Did you put your head up, if you did talk?

Kate xx

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I think you are on to something important. I should guess that the main reason of the overrepresentation of women in christian congreagitions (JW as well) is that pseudu-erotic relationship whith tjhe Jesus-persona.

Jesus as ones personal savior and redeemer is certanly something special for heterosexual women. One have not to be Freud to realize that.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Cofty.. I liked Band's description of you... our loveable but demonic atheist... LOL

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I kinda like the biker look for Jesus.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

I was thinking about medieval nuns, like Mechtild of Magdeburg...her poems vere erotic in the descriptions of her relationship with God/Jesus.

• sir82
    sir82

Am I hallucinating again, or do I remember a very old thread on this forum, something about an old-timer JW "anointed" quizzing a young-timer newby JW "anointed", and asking if he knew what the "marriage of the lamb" (as described in Revelation) entailed?

And the answer the old guy was looking for was something along the lines of, it's going to be a sort of "wedding night" complete with coitus?

Anybody remember anything like that? I don't even know how i would search for anything like that.

• steve2
    steve2

Straight men talking this way to and about Their Lord sounds dodgy enough. To see a church full of heaving, sighing, ecstatic men and women "getting off" on Jesus is frankly repugnant. Some of the vocalizings are indistinguishable from the sounds of orgasms. The more Christianity claims to be going back to basics, the whackier it becomes.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

This sounds like a topic for Lars

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

It's easy to make jokes om this subject....just think about one certain poster with intense contact with Jesus. No names !

But, nevertheless. I find it very interesting from a psychological and sociogical point of wiev.

I just wonder about this related to straight Jesus-men.....there must be some kind of hidden homoerotc bonding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit