Letting go of trying to convince people makes you happy

by DeWandelaar 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

I am a thinker... and I was thinking a lot lately about (the absense of) God and about my past years as a witness and suddenly it striked me: The less I think about a caring God being in existence the more happy and relaxed I am. Also the fact that IF he is there then I will notice it one day... I am not afraid of anything godlike in any way. While exploring that feeling I was also noticing something. I am more happy at the moments I just let people think what they want to think about being a JW or being religious. Letting go of anything that is related to these issues really helps me. It does not hurt me anymore that people believe something different or don't believe at all. I am starting to see a shitload of goodness in many, many people. Religious or not... it does not matter.

Now I read less often at this forum (mostly I read here when I am bored) and I see all kinds of people battling about a lot of things, discussing faith etc etc and although it still seems interesting it just snoops away a shitload of energy. My idea now is that it is time to let it go... I just let everyone be whoever they want to be. I do not see any sense in taking away someone's faith in anything. So NO anti-witnessing calls from me... NO discussions with anyone that is related to religion unless someone truly want to talk about it to empty a burdened soul.

I am happy with it... I am free (although in fading mode) because there is no force or religion on this planet that can keep me in custody. I am a free spirit! Hoorayyyyyyy

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I think you've reached your goal.

It's called having a good life.

Doc

• clarity
    clarity

Good for you De... Free at last!

clarity

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Congrats DeWandelaar being free to live your life the way you want (hopefully without hurting other people).

On the other hand reverse-witnessing to younger JWs to critically think for themselves is a worthy endeavor.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• designs
    designs

World Religions affect us all as they influence our culture and its society and laws. Take a vacation if you must but like Voltare and Rousseau, Thomas Paine and so many others have taught us we need to be activists to ensure the future we want and not by people shackled to Bronze Age religious beliefs.

• adamah
    adamah

Wandelaar, you DO see a slight bit of irony in starting a thread as if trying to convince others about how letting go of convincing others is the key to making oneself happy, right?

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

There is always irony Adamah. There are not too many people I am talking about this unless they are on this forum. I have seen differences in my person within a year which i never thought would happen. Life is a journey... And i finally see it is not the goal itself that makes life worthwhile but the journey. Most witnesses just look at a goal. If it makes them happy it is ok with me... But for me it is not enough :)

• Gopher
    Gopher

Like the song says, at some point it's speaking words of wisdom to say "Let It Be".

I think it's important for people with differing views to come together and discuss them. I never learn much unless I hear from someone whose thinking is quite different from my own. (I think the Bible proverb goes 'like iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another'.)

However when it comes to the point where you feel the need to "convince" people of the urgency of changing their personal viewpoints, it gets personal. On the Internet where people can argue/discuss anonmymously, this can become quite unpleasant for all concerned and a waste of time. However some people seem to LIVE for this kind of anonymous and chaotic conflict. (And you aren't going to change my mind about that, dammit!!)

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

We have so much in common! Live and let live I say, and that's where you're at too. It doesn't matter what people believe or don't believe, as long as they're not hurting anyone.

• designs
    designs

But when these Religious types form large voting blocks and you start to see social services for women and children end in your communities will you sit on your hands and do nothing because you want to feel la de da..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit