Evolution, what the fossils say by Donald Prothero

Your inner fish by Neil Shubin

Endless forms most beautiful by Sean B. Carroll

Why evolution is true by Jerry Coyne

The greatest show on earth by Dawkins

The blind watchmaker by Dawkins

• sir82
    sir82

That being, man evolved from monkies which is the atheist equivalent of the Genesis account. That said, it's difficult if not entirely impossible to believe these people have any compassion for their fellow man considering they believe everything in existence came about by chance.

They remind me of the sociopath in No Country for Old Men in that they believe the purpose in life is as meaninglessness as a coin toss.

Now I know this is No Room for George / Misery Loves Elders.

My faith was beginning to wane, until I saw the above.

Who else would wind everyone up with "man evolved from monkeys"? What JW would have seen a film so notoriously violent as "No Country for Old Men"?

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Ignoring the true believers dumping on evolution and going back to original topic: don't you enjoy people watching? Aren't people ridiculous sometimes? Or am I a weirdo for finding so many things funny? I used to say that IF there were a god, he/she/it would be laughing his ass off all the time at what humans do.

• willmarite
    willmarite

It's easy to be controlled by the human ego where we need to feel superior over other people. The ego needs to feel special whether it be found in a Christian who thinks he is morally superior to an atheist, an atheist who thinks he is intellectually superior over a believer in god, or because someone believes that their political beliefs are superior.

We are not our beliefs or non-beliefs we are so much more. We need to stop judging.

• cofty
    cofty

Hi willmarite. I don't think you have ever introduced yourself. Are you an ex-JW? Perhaps it would be nice to post an introduction thread and say hi to everybody.

Do you know the person who previously posted as RoseMary?

• willmarite
    willmarite

Hi cofty, yes I'm an ex-JW. I haven't figured out yet how to start a new thread since there appears there isn't any way for me to do so. Perhaps you have to make a few posts before being allowed to start a thread.

I haven't attended any meetings for a couple years but my wife is still an active JW.

Haven't heard of RoseMary, who's she?

• cofty
    cofty

If you click on the "Home" link and then select an appropriate forum you should see a "New Topic" button.

You sound a lot like somebody who posted here until recently. He/she used multiple names and had a lot to say about reincarntation and spirits. One of your recent posts reminded me of her/him.

Hortensia - I wonder if its an American thing? I really can't imagine anybody in the UK coming out with something like that. If anything its religious people that are more likely to feel socially awkward about it over here.

I saw a headline this week in a Conservative magazine, The Spectator, "The War on Christians".

Go to love the persecution complex.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Atheists don't even believe in God!

Who would you prefer to be your surgeon for an important operation? I rest my case.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In my biased opinion I think The Blind Watchmaker is the best book on evolution.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit