Anticipating future changes in the organisation - crystal ball gazing

by yadda yadda 2 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I posted the comment below on another thread on elders stepping down. Although I left the JW's years ago, I still hold a fascination for the evolution of the religion and am curious on what future trends and developments may occur. So I thought I would start a thread on what future changes you think will occur in the organisation as the years go by, either doctrinally or organisationally:

There is definitely a phenomenon occuring in the organisation where as the years go by and disillusionment and disaffection worsens, the motivation is diminishing of members who are expected/required to devote more of their discrete time and energy, ie, elders, pioneers and MS's. Especially those with families.

This phenomenon is behind the reduction in recent years of the pioneer hourly requirement and the reduction in the number of meetings. As time goes on the Watchtower is having to adapt to this by reducing the time-requirement burden on pioneers and elders while at the same time trying to keep the hard statistical data from being negatively affected as much as possible. In other words, for statistical appearance and publicity purposes the Watchtower Society has been implementing changes to make it easier for JW's to statistically continue to serve as elders (reduce the number of meetings), MS's and pioneers while at the same time reducing the actual time and energy needed to fulfil those roles.

This trend will no doubt continue as time goes on, and probably worsen post-2014.

One of the further changes we might expect to see to reduce the burden of elders, especially ones with families, is to somehow reduce the time and energy spent dealing with judicial committee matters and which is to a large degree the main reason for the worsening problem of elders resigning. All the extra evenings and time out to attend to judicial matters takes a huge toll on elders time-wise (away from family, etc) and emotionally. The Society will likely try to simplify or minimise the disciplinary/judicial function of an elders job somehow in years to come. For example, they may change the elders rules so that judicial committees are only formed for reports of gross immorality (fornication, adultery) with any other less serious sins to be dealt with in a more simplified way, eg, two elders simply meet with the sinner on a saturday morning taking some time out of their field service time, provide some counselling and reproof, and then tell the sinful publisher that they are merely 'marked' rather than go through a full judical committee investigation. They would then do this again on, say, a monthly basis instead of knocking on empty doors to sell magazines on a Saturday morning or Sunday arvo to continue to provide more encouragement and shepherding to help the sinner, rather than ignoring the weak and fringe in the congregation and having to reactively do judical committee meetings during weeknights instead on top of all their other duties as elders.

The disfellowshipping arrangement is a double-edged sword for the organisation. It keeps gross sinners and apostates out, but it is taking a big toll on burning out elders and it is also destroying the number-base of JW's who might otherwise stay and make donations.

Another thing they could do is reduce the number of meeting assignments for elders. These can take a lot of preparation and nervous energy. In years to come they might totally eliminate the book-study and simply the Service Meeting, for example. They could also impliment video talks, eg, have the Presiding Oveseer in each congregation on a roster system to give a public talk that is shown on a video screen across all the congregations in an entire circuit. After all, everyone studies the same Watchtower article around the world on the same day, so why not all listen to the same public talk screened across a whole circuit of congregations?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Doesn't fornication account for 90% of cases anyway? Excluding other stuff doesn't really change the workload much.

I do think the cutbacks will continue though, although it's hard to see what can be cut back further. Conventions cut from three days to two days I suppose. And Watchtower Studies shortened to half an hour: at one hour long it currently drags on to say the least. Fewer books printed, more tracts. Yet more emphasis on online materials. Who knows, maybe the society will produce their own tablet one day, for use in the meetings, study and field service. More branches will probably get closed. I hear they are cutting back on foreign language congregations too, that'll probably continue. They'll probably continue to focus less on the annual statistics as they worsen. Maybe stop publishing them altogether, or just provide "highlights" as they have started to do in the Kingdom Ministry. Continue to dumb down the literature, not attempt any more expositions of prophetical books like Ezekiel and Revelation as they did in the past. Maybe create more roles for women (ministerial servants) and try to sound friendlier to gay people, without actually sanctioning homosexual behaviour.

On the doctrine front, dropping the literal 144,000 is overdue. Either that or stop reporting the number of partakers. Maybe also admit that animals evolved but claim that humans are the exception. Teach that Noah's flood was local not global.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

The JW organization is probably losing more of their members than they care to admit. This will eventually force the GB to make more “adjustments” to stop the exodus and stabilize the membership.

Therefore, it's possible that after 2014 the Watchtower may gradually become more main stream. While I don't see them accepting the Trinity or Hellfire, they may open Heaven to all JWs, though confine them to a lower level in the Heavenly realm, while the GB rules as "kings and priests." Birthday parties may be permitted and blood transfusions will become a conscience matter. Tobacco use will become a lesser sin, meaning one could be removed as an elder or MS, with privileges restricted, but not DFd. The GB may even stay out of JW bedrooms and allow most sexual sins to be handled by one elder; much like Catholics confessing to their priests. But the Watchtower leadership will still take a hard-line toward what they perceive to be "apostasy.”

The GB may also take a few more pages from the Mormons. Perhaps requiring all young JWs, once they reach the age of 18, to spend two years in missionary work, either locally or in a foreign country. After the JW finishes his or her missionary requirement, door to door work will become voluntary for the former missionary. Most D-D preaching will be replaced by using TV, Radio, and the Internet to get their message out and to solicit donations. Like the LDS, the Watchtower will require tithing, 10% of each JW's gross income. The GB will be enlarged to 12 members. The Watchtower may even open a JW college. JWU will have many of the business, engineering, and legal classes that you would find at a secular college. But one course that will not be offered at JWU is critical thinking.

• prologos
    prologos

slimboyfat: flood only local ?,

armageddon will be come local too? . already is : favoured jw expression judgemental: he/she had their armageddon.

144 000 not exact number? each tribe 12 000 inexact too?

bring in more fresh blood to the GB/FADS

give sailing lessons on lake warwick,

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Crystal ball gazing? That's demonic, lol! But yeah, you don't need a crystal ball to see where the Society is going- they have been demanding too much from too many for too long; and it seems likely that meetings will be fewer & shorter, and FS hour requirements will be reduced again sometime in the future. Without any date for Armageddon there is no incentive for dubs to exert themselves as they have in the past.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The organization knows now they have the money $ with the blooming real-estate sell off (branches) and investments.

Dropping or reforming into another religious identity without the Watchtower image/moniker at its core is quite perceivable.

The Watchtower name identity for this religious publishing house holds a lot of old and failed doctrines which when produced

were commercially successful nevertheless.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I heard that one of the Former GB's freaked out when confronted with the idea of having to change some things. They can't except it!! So this religion will stay the same with a few minor changes until its burning all around them. Just remember they really do think its gods org.

• designs
    designs

The new facility in New York State will be a big vacation draw for the Wt. Leaders, the new Mecca. I hear it has a 'green roof' and other state of the art environmental designs. That's nice but. This will make a lot of money for the Wt.. I suspect RV and Trailer camping on site plus other accomidations will have $$ attached to them.

These new GBs have definitly gone to the Mitt Romney School of How To Make A Buck.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's true the name Watchtower has gradually been sidelined. Might it be dropped altogether?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Personally I find it hard to imagine any of the larger changes suggested here. Why? Because any changes should be able to fit in with the idea of "new light". Larger changes like the teaching of "two hopes", and dropping the cross and Christmas, were introduced many decades ago. Now, the Society is well over a hundred years old and it's a different story. How could they possibly justify dropping, say, the teaching of the 144,000 after saying it was correct for most of a century? Depending on whether we're talking about the basic treatment of it as a literal number, that's something that goes back even farther than 1935. It would be tantamount to admitting that our "precious spiritual heritage" was worthless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit