What was the "suggested contribution" for the NNWT?

by Momma-Tossed-Me 13 Replies latest jw friends

• chrisuk
    chrisuk

I think this new NWT is worthy of contributions.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

To be honest, I actually felt a pang of guilt when I received the Bible for free, thinking that I ought to donate something in exchange. I had to forcibly remind myself that the organization is harmful, and that it would be morally right of me to not give something. That was the only way I prevented myself from putting something in the contribution box.

• Hummingbird001
    Hummingbird001

Remember, too, that most donations do not go to printing costs.

They go to paying for the silence of victims of pedophiles.

Do you really want to contribute to that?

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I can tell you what a recent trip to Barnes and Noble bookstore revealed as to the retail costs of Bibles."

This reminds me of the situation in my hall back in the mid 90s. The WT library on CD were being distributed and it was a big deal among the locals. The PO gave a talk discussing how valuable these CDs were and how brothers shouldn't order them without a real need. He asked the audience how much "CDs" went for, and several folks answered, each trying to out-do the other in how ridiculous their answer was. Finally, it was agreed that "CD's" sold for hundreds of dollars in the stores and the friends should keep that in mind when pikcing up their WT library CD.

I was a teenager at the time, and I didn't own a computer until many years later, but the only thing I could think of is that they had seen a copy of Windows retailing for a few hundred bucks and simply assumed the cost was in the hardware and not the intellectual property contained therein. All CDs were created equal or something. The full absurdity of this didn't begin to set in until a few years later when CD-R's became popular and you could pick one up for roughly 25 cents. How many Witnesses donated a hundred bucks or more of their hard earned money for something that probably cost a nickel? I'll never know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit