The new translation of John 17:3 seems like a major shift.

by paul from cleveland 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

Yep, I was looking at the wrong verses. Then I retracted my comment.

• krejames
    krejames

I'm gobsmacked at the introduction of "hell". That's a bit of a climb down isn't it! (sorry ignore this - I had the Byington translation up on the app!)

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Londo111 said:

"Matthew 5:3 is still horribly translated."

Would you care to explain to us how this text ‘is horribly translated’? We need a better explanation...

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

John 1:1 still says "a god", but is footnoted with "was divine".

• rosyray
    rosyray

@ Carla: I would like to make a box like konceptual99 did on the 1st page of this thread (see below)

Up until now, everlasting life was dependent on "taking in knowledge". It was a perfect fit for a publishing house to interpret that scripture that way. If we didn't keep up with the endless stream of publications from the Watchtower our salvation would be in jeopardy. Now that they've changed the translation closer to most other bibles it reveals that salvation comes by knowing God and having a relationship with him not how good our study habits are.

• rosyray
    rosyray

Everyone thanks for the welcome! It's exciting to log on and see my own post on a thread, this is a big accomplishment for me. Hopefully soon I can take time to provide a proper introduction. I need all the encouragement I can get.

Anony mous: love your thoughts on the subject! So right! I think it's hilarious that in recent years, they have been encouraging witnesses to get to know the history of the religion, because we all know that a true search into this is exactly what they DON'T want.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit