By the pricking of my thumbs....

by Xander 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    being of a scientific bent, the old repeatable experiment thang is major requisit for me to actually believe in something.

Hear, hear. I wouldn't give it up, if I were you. All pagans have to offer -- and I say this as a pagan, theist and magic-worker -- is personal anecdotal experience, guaranteed non-replicable.

...I realise that ideation, the willingness or perhaps ability to accept such things are genuine paranormal manisfestation, or to interpret events using paranormal explainations, has a strong influence over what people believe.

But that doesn't mean it's all rubbish.

Why not?

Look, Abaddon, you actually have the chops to function in the real world without religious crutches. I don't. Just because a top-of-the-line folding wheelchair is an elegent device doesn't mean it's better than walking.

I become redundant tomorrow, as my company is closing. I think nnows the time to dabble in Wicca and see whether my fuddy-duddy blow hard scientific nature can reconcile with my wish that such things were true.
    Or maybe you should just read Peter Pan again between bouts of job hunting.

Best Wishes, honestly!

Gently Feral

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Well I certainly don't recommend Wicca for everyone. As stated before it is always up to individual. Also it is much more demanding than secular religions. I love hearing all the stories here and am glad that there is no religous intolerance flaming going on. I think as exJW we've had our fill of intolerance. Rebelledat12, it is good to see that you at least had an open mind enough to study up on Wicca before you decided it wasn't for you. I also believe in a Great Spirit, I think that most "Earth" based religions have much in common it is just a matter of what is right for you. I also believe in Karma, so much so that that is the name of my daughter. Good posts, I just don't know what to add. Whether it be stories, advice, or perhaps some of you may have other questions.

Dear Lord, please save me from your followers.

• seedy3
    seedy3

I myself studied Wicca for a while, but the only problem I had with it is that it is too Dieity based, not that, that is bad but it was for me, I have a problem with accepting a dieity, I prefer for myself to look at only energy, a universal power. Someone posted a thread about Pantheisem, which actually described myself almost to a tee, the link seems to be down now, but it was great info. I think many pagans are actually panthiests, as long as you do not look at a dieity as a literal being, but only as a representation of universal energy. The native Americans and such were actually Pantheists, as are most buddists and Hindus (Even though most Hindus are suppose to have many gods they really do not, to a Hindu all is Brahman and Brahman is all, there are some that consider them the first monotheists).

And I have to agree this has been a very interesting and friendly thread.

Seedy

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

GentlyFeral;

Look, Abaddon, you actually have the chops to function in the real world without religious crutches. I don't. Just because a top-of-the-line folding wheelchair is an elegent device doesn't mean it's better than walking.
    Nail on head EPG my dear... that is how I think of it. I don;t need religion or a mystic overlay, but understand others do. I suppose I am afraid I am missing out on something, and although of a scientific bent, am also a fantasist, daydreamer, and big fluffy romantic, which combine with my insatiable curiosity to make me want an 'answer' even if I don't need one.

I think I'll start off on the Narnia books...

All the best

quote:

• Sirona
    Sirona

Abaddon,

I don't feel I "need" religion either. I just prefer to have it in my life. I absolutely love using my imagination as part of my religion, because to me my imagination is just as real as anything else. Say I imagine energy influencing my life positively, it can work because I think that our own thoughts affect our reality.

Sirona

** http://www.religioustolerance.org **

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Well there are different forms of Wicca. I do see your point about being deity based. I don't know how other covens work but I use the Goddess and the God as being two parts to a whole. Any deities used such as Isis, Diane, and such are merely vehicles to the supreme energy. It's kind of like a christian praying in front of a cross, picture of Jesus, or with their bible in hand. They don't believe that the cross, picture, or bible IS God but a device they use as kind of a reference point to communicate with God. In this way allot of religions are alike. Buddhists don't use a statue of Buddha because they believe the statue is really Buddha. They use it as a reminder and point of reference. I hope this clears things up a bit about me. The witches I learn with all believe in one supreme energy and that we are all pieces of that energy. We merely use the different Goddesses/Gods as vehicles to an end. Of course there are many different ways to do this and finding what is best for you is the most important thing. But for the love of the Goddess don't get pulled into another cult.

Dear Lord, please save me from your followers.

• seedy3
    seedy3

Actually very true gsx, I guess I was more refering to what you had indicated about it as a representation of the energy, and that is where I sort of got off. Maybe it's still the ol' B-org thing in me LOL.

Seedy

• arachnia
    arachnia
    Even if tarot is just a way to access the unconscious... well, that's something, wouldn't you say?

Now, see, THAT's an interesting argument. But, how is the deck prepared such that the subconscious could have any effect on the reading?

I'm no expert on the Tarot, but I've probably got a higher level of familiarity with the occult than your average bear. ;) One book that comes recommended by a couple of folks who were interested in the Tarot with a connection to the unconscious is "Tarot As a Way of Life : A Jungian Approach to the Tarot" by Karen Hamaker-Zondag. I'm told she applies Jungian psychology to the Tarot with interesting results. I haven't read it myself, but it came to mind when I read your post. :)

Cheers,
    ~arachnia

Say not, "I have found the truth," but rather, "I have found a truth."
    -Kahlil Gibran

• seedy3
    seedy3

Hi Arachnia,

I see you have a quote from Kahlil Gabran as you signature, I really like some of his work.

• MarchOn
    MarchOn

(In a whispered voice) "i see dead people"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit