1975 - The Killer WT quote

by tim hooper 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Momma-Tossed-Me
    Momma-Tossed-Me

Bumarked!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Both my JW Parents spent years..

Dragging my Ass to Meetings/Field Service/Assemblies..Ect..ect..

It was all about 1975..

The Topic of Conversation at JW Social Events was 1975..

If you lived in Watchtower World..

You couldn`t escape WBT$ 1975 Advertising,it was Everywhere..

Decades Later

I brought that up to my JW Parents,they said it never happened..

Memories of Years of their Lives,had Disappeared..

You are now entering WatchTower World..

.......................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

After the Governing Body elected Fred Franz to be the fourth president of the Watch Tower’s Pennsylvania Corporation following the death of Nathan H. Knorr in 1977, Harry Peloyan, Awake! editor, told me he went to Lloyd Barry’s office to make it known exactly how he felt about the appointment. His disgust knew no bounds because it was Fred Franz who developed the argument that the end of 6,000 years of man's existence would end in 1975. Harry laid the following paragraph squarely in Franz’s lap:

"The observation that 1975 may well mark the beginning of mankind's great Jubilee has intrigued many. According to the Bible timetable, man's history on earth has been nearly 6,000 years. Adam was created in 4026 B.C.E., which means that six thousand years of human history end about the fall of 1975 C.E. We are in the great 7,000-year rest day of God, starting at the time he rested after the creation of Adam and Eve. There are, therefore, a thousand years left to run. Without Satan and his demons to disturb mankind it will indeed be a restful time. It will be like a sabbath."
    Watchtower 7/15/67 pg.446-7

Peloyan told Lloyd Barry that he blamed Franz for the exodus of 500,000 disenchanted Witnesses after 1975 who, he said, would die at Armageddon. I remember hearing the forcefulness in Harry’s voice when he repeated to me what he told Lloyd, “And you reward this man for such travesty by making him president.”

• steve2
    steve2

My JW mother refused to back my plans to complete my secondary schooling in 1970 and enrol in tertiary-level training in journalism. She used the 1969 Awake magazine as virtually her only argument. That article spoke against getting a worldly education because the end was so imminent the training would never be used.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

1975 and the WTS. was just a big elaborate marketing scam to get more people to read and push/distribute the WTS's literature.

The ancient Hebrews bullshitted their story of how the earth and the universe was created, which they really couldn't help due to their own ignorance.

The WTS took that and used a concocted time table of 6000 years (a uncountable equation by any stretch of the imagination using the Bible or whatever)

and used it as a marketing ploy to spur up literature circulation.

A somewhat cunning and maligning scheme by a religious publishing house.

Part of the stupid public ate it up like freshly buttered scones , why because they were told by the WTS. that god had chosen their organization as his earthly organization.

Thats the beauty of religion, it can lie and bullshit and never be held accountable for its actions ........ its the law of the land.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i think the Watchtower recently made mention of the witnesses having wrong expectations. i think i had faith in God's eternal purpose triumphing for man's good explained by the faithful slave class and that is why i dropped out of high school.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

A well known UK circuit servant told my brother not to have an operation if he was having so much trouble finding a surgeon to do the surgery without blood. (early 1970's)

He said Armageddon was so close why bother, my brother could be wheelchaired into the new world!

He said the brothers at Bethel are even saying Armageddon could come BEFORE 1975!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i think it's impossible to please God without faith and faith is a sure thing.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its amazing how much damage one or two insincere people running a religious publishing house can do.

WTS. and its 1975 farce is a perfect example.

I know two people who committed suicide.

There is so much fear imposed onto JWS that even when their leaders create something erroneously bogus

their submissive and mind controlled slaves just play it off with little culpable fault.

When a man states that he can calculate man's existence here on earth of a total of 6000 years to October 1975, he would

have be delusional insane or indulgently corrupt.......... or both.

But thats exactly what Fred Franz did , also put it into print in the Awake and Watchtower.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Amazingly, the WT has botched the whole "end of 6,000 years of man's existence" twice. Ironically, the twice failed nonsense was based on exactly the same reasoning:

"Here we furnish the evidence that from the creation of Adam to (but not including) A.D. 1873 was six thousand years. And though the Bible contains no direct statement that the seventh thousand will be the epoch of Christ's reign, the great Sabbath Day of restitution to the world, yet the venerable tradition is not without a reasonable foundation." (Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2, p. 39. 1889)

Note: Russell acknowledges two points:

1. his teaching has no scriptural basis, yet he taught it anyway, and,

2. the teaching was really a tradition of men, not a teaching of God

"If, then, the seventh thousand-year period of earth's history be an epoch specially noted as the period of Christ's reign, we shall by showing that it began in 1873, be proving that we are already in it." (Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2, p. 40. 1889)

"In this chapter we present the Bible evidence which indicates that six thousand years from the creation of Adam were complete with A.D. 1872; and hence that, since A.D. 1872 are chronologically entered upon the seventh thousand or the Millennium." (Studies in the Scriptures, Vol. 2, p. 33, 1889)

Instead of WT blaming the rank and file for their blunder, this time WT blamed God, because he doesn't have the ability to make sure a good Bible translation was available for Freddie Franz to write fiction from:

In the year 1943 the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society published the book The Truth Shall Make You Free. In its chapter 11, entitled "The Count of the Time," it did away with the insertion of 100 years into the period of the Judges and went according to the oldest and most authentic reading of Acts 13:20, and accepted the spelled-out numbers of the Hebrew Scriptures. This moved forward the end of six thousand years of man's existence to the decade of the 1970's. Naturally this did away with the year 1874 C.E. as the date of return of the Lord Jesus Christ and the beginning of his invisible presence or parousia.

"It does no good to use Bible chronology for speculating on dates that are still future in the stream of time." (All Scripture is inspired of God and Beneficial, 1963, page 286)

But, three years later, "speculating on dates" created the 1975 fiasco. Note that the 1963 "All Scripture" chronology is the same as the 1966 chronology in "Life Everlasting", but no 1975 fervor was created in 1963 because the WTS was not promoting that date. It did, however, begin attaching great importance to 1975 beginning in 1966:

"According to this trustworthy Bible chronologysix thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall of 1975 C.E Six thousand years of man's existence on earth will soon be up, yea within this generation. The rein of Christ...to run parallel with the 7th millennium ..." (Life Everlasting in Freedom of the Sons of God, 1966, p. 29-30)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit