SURVEY QUESTIONs

by Terry 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

I have a thought for you. 1) In your first question, the A) answer, on the 7th line down it states, "from first contact with a JW who was friend"...............Do you mean it like that? Or did you mean to put an "a" in for "a friend" or did you mean "my" as in "my friend" but you already have two "my's" in one sentence, so three "my's" would be a bit much?

Thank you, Lois.

Let me look at that for a moment and I'll reply to you...............................

Okay, got it!

I had re-re-rewritten the answer after many editing sessions and dropped the "ly" on friendly when I added the comma.

I just went in to my original manuscript and have put the "ly" back.

NEW VERSION:

Q: Why did you write this book?

A: For the last forty-four years I’ve been told repeatedly by strangers and friends I have had a unique experience others find deeply interesting. I quickly discovered it is impossible to tell without a background in place. The first half of the book fills in the history of how other conscientious objectors dealt with duty to their state, country and their fellow man. The second half of this book gives the personal journey from first contact with a JW who was friendly, up through the first visit to a Kingdom Hall, Bible study, baptism, Draft Board examination, interview with my attorney, County Jail and Federal Prison experiences.

I've got two editors going through the whole thing one last time and that's when you catch those bugaboos.

I appreciate your eagle eyes :)

• Terry
    Terry

Excerpt from the Chapter on County Jail:

"Lesson one: Never pull time; let time pull you.

How can I really place you in there with me and make it feel more real? Let’s try this:

First, put away your cellphone and your laptop and turn off your TV. Throw out comfort: no chairs or couches or a bed with mattress. Get rid of your kitchen, groceries, restaurants, snacks or candy. You cannot drive your car. You will not go outside. You can’t turn off the lights. Day and night look the same. You will be in a crowded room with people you don’t know and who have nothing to say that interests you. Conversation is impossible. There are no friends or family. You may not see the face of a baby or a child or woman for years! County Jail is a grave where the corpses still blink! Noise never ends and you’ll learn to sleep when you’re too exhausted not to. There is no color and there will be no beauty or music or art; only what you’ve stored in your own heart before you walked inside. Okay? Are we clear?"

(I Wept by the Rivers of Babylon)

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

"County Jail is a grave where the corpses still blink."...................Yikes! Terry, lol..... that sentence is so great, it could give me nightmares! Very descriptive. Just Lois

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

6x9 with a larger font, thus being easier to transport AND more easily readable.

Both hardcopy and e-book; each has an audience/following

Details should include the WT/Masonic alliance, the tunnels leading to a volcano beneath Brooklyn Heights, and the kabbalistic ritual that keeps Fred Franz' brown pants alive to this day. just kidding :)

LULU offers pricing guidelines - the big number is what they get, the little number is what you get. People think the author gets all the money - ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !

• whathappened
    whathappened

Terry, ebooks are wonderful, but any size will do.

Your book will be underpriced at $19.99. I can say that because I know the quality of your writing.

Maybe you should have someone proofread it for you. What do you think?

I will buy one, never the less.

• OneEyedJack
    OneEyedJack

i would recommend 6x9 and ebook.

as others have mentioned, ebook is extremely helpful to those faders that cant hide a real book easily from spouse/parents/ect

• Terry
    Terry

I think for the folks that need to hide any critical material (vis a vis the Watchtower Society) the e-book makes the most sense.

For those, like me, who want an actual object for the bookshelf (AN ANALOG BOOK) it makes sense to do both.

I have a couple of proofers going over every jot and tiddle as we speak.

I never appreciated the labor intensive search for those infinitesimal flubs that infest (like head lice) page after page of a manuscript

you've already gone over a hundred times :)

This book will challenge the popular JW myth that those concentration camp JW's are a badge of honor for the religion.

I explored in depth the fact that Rutherford went out of his way to cozy up to Hitler to save his business interests in Germany and

when that failed he tossed the Earnest Bible Students and JW's under the bus.

An excerpt from the Chapter on the NAZI ERA:

"Today’s modern Witnesses hardly know the whole story. A self-serving version has been published and repeated again and again. The damage inflicted on others by Rutherford and the Watchtower Society has been buried in verbosity.

13,400 German Witnesses spent time in prisons, often for years. 2,000 died. 270 were executed. The Nazi’s treated Witnesses as ideological prisoners, preferring to persuade them to conform to the state rather than exterminate them. After all, other than their strange beliefs, they were ideal citizens of the Reich! Jehovah’s Witnesses did as their leader told them to do without questioning or resistance, what better prospects could there be?"

• Terry
    Terry

Do e-books reproduce images?

I've got embedded newspaper clippings and woodcut illustrations. I would hate to have them eliminated for the e-book readers.

Does anybody have any experience with such?

• Comatose
    Comatose

Ebook!

• Terry
    Terry

Nathan Natas: LULU offers pricing guidelines - the big number is what they get, the little number is what you get. People think the author gets all the money - ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !

You're skeerin' me, Nate!

I'm hoping to make enough off the book to perform some repairs on my trusty rusty 98 Honda Accord.

The profit ratio is such I'll need a million seller and a Pulitizer Prize to get my inspection sticker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit