The collapse of the WBTS? - I don't think so.

by dmouse 27 Replies latest jw friends

• dmouse
    dmouse

Do we ‘apostates’ fall into the same trap as Jehovah’s Witnesses when it comes to blinding ourselves to the truth?

How often have I confronted JWs with overwhelming evidence that the so called ‘signs of the times’ are simply not being fulfilled in our day only for them to bring up some barely relevant snippet of information, which, to them, shoot’s my argument down in flames? It is incredible how JWs can ignore the ‘camel’ of evidence that contradicts what they believe and then exult over the ‘gnat’ of evidence that supports their view. It is the only way the JW belief system can survive – accentuate the microscopic or rare evidence that corresponds with their paradigm; ignore or distort the overwhelming evidence that challenges it.

This is dishonesty of thought.

Inevitably, for those of us who were once JWs, we cultivated this way of defending our beliefs.
    Is it possible that for some, even though their beliefs have undergone a reversal, they still retain that JW ‘system’ of cognitive defence?

I know that my next few sentences will attract scorn, but I want to be honest with myself, and I want you good people to be honest with yourselves.

Many posters on this board, posters whom I respect deeply, are constantly relating the ‘evidence’ that the WBTS is about to collapse. I say this is wishful thinking. The Society has survived the debacle of 1914 and 1975, for God’s sake. The UN and paedophilia issues, while to a normal thinking person are hypocritical or abhorrent, are peanuts to an Organisation that commands absolute control of a person’s every thought. It will bounce off like a spear against an armoured vehicle.

I think that Carl Sagan put it best when he said of Jehovah’s Witnesses:

It is astonishing in the face of such transparent evasions that this religion has any adherents at all. But religions are tough. Either they make no contentions which are subject to disproof or they quickly redesign doctrine after disproof. The fact that religions can be so shamelessly dishonest, so contemptuous of the intelligence of their adherents, and still flourish does not speak very well for the tough-mindedness of the believers. But it does indicate, if a demonstration were needed, that near the core of the religious experience is something remarkably resistant to rational inquiry.
    — quote from "Broca's Brain" by Carl Sagan, p. 332, twelfth edition.
    So. What does the evidence show? Certainly the spectacular growth of past years has slowed, but there is STILL growth, albeit mainly in third world countries. The Society has shown a remarkable propensity to survive the most damaging of blows (ie 1914, 1975). There is nothing on the horizon that even remotely poses the threat to Society’s credibility than these events. This means that, for the foreseeable future, the WBTS will grow.

The Internet is the most potent threat that the WBTS has ever had to face, But it has faced it with uncharacteristic speed and venom. No JW in good standing will touch it with a barge pole unless it is necessary for work or ‘bona fide’ research. They have taken the teeth from this dragon. Try mentioning a fact that you have found on the Internet, any fact, to a JW and just watch their eyes glaze over. The jury is still out as to whether this will continue to be the case.

We have to face this fact. A quick victory is not going to happen. Our fight against the tyrants at the top of the WBTS will, in all probability, be a lifelong struggle. There will be many setbacks, many unpalatable truths that we will have to accept.
    Like A JW who is constantly convincing himself that Armageddon is just around the corner, apostates can try to convince themselves that the demise of the Organisation is just around the corner, and can use the same techniques to defend that belief.

I sincerely hope that I do not fall into that trap. I value my independence. I value my ability to accept the truth, no matter how it disturbs my beliefs. But that is the price of cognitive freedom – we have to face the coldness of reality. If the JW religion grows and prospers I have to accept that it is so, as distasteful as that might be. May I never fall into the trap of looking for the ‘gnat’ of evidence that seems to show the WBTS is a doomed religion.

My mind is free. Let me not abuse that freedom by dishonesty of thought.

• Xenu
    Xenu

dmouse:
    There are no tyrant at the top of the Jehovah WTBTS

• dmouse
    dmouse

I think you'll find that a lot of people here disagree with you, Xenu.

The tyrants at the top of the WBTS have systematically screwed their followers of life and property and intellectual freedom for generations.

They are scum. Pure and simple.

• anewperson
    anewperson

It is not an immediate collapse but a choking to death by misleadership. In other words 50% or more aren't going to quit overnight but from year to year a 3% decline is plausible.

Of course over a ten year span that 3% a year would mean 30% although on top of that you have to compound. Thus in as few as 10 years 40% or 4 out of 10 people now members may be gone.

At that rate in 20 years 80% would be gone and in 30 years at least theoretically there would be no Watchtower persons left except maybe a few people somehow drawing out money from old WT accounts.

And what's worse for them is that as the pedophile coverup becomes better known that rate could even accelerate.

Instead look for more new schisms, groups coming in like True Faith JWs from E Europe, God's Kingdom Society from Nigeria, the Bible Students groups already in the U.S. like the Dawn and Berean Bible Students.

I myself am in a Free Christians movement group simply called Christians or more descriptively the Jah Christians which is international and largely internet-based: [email protected] for me, also: [email protected] for the JC's editor Troy Brown

• Xenu
    Xenu

dmouse:
    Yes many will disagree, for only a few followed the Yeshua.

• CoolBreeze
    CoolBreeze

As long as there are feeble minds, there will be JW's. In my neighborhood they are activly persuing the mentaly handicapped.
    I have found that people who pride themselves on their ignorance,
    and thir lack of reasoning will always find a home in facist organisations such as the Jehovah's Witneses or the Ku Klux Klan.

Ciao,
    Anton

• Teirce
    Teirce

I agree with every detail. I'd add that many of these instances are just ex-JWs going through the seven stages of recovery. Anger and the desire for vengeance can for a time override critical thinking. But that stage has to be passed before the object of anger is neutralized, and the experience humanized. But very fine illuminations!

• Simon
    Simon

I think you make some good points dmouse.

Of course there will always be people who will believe anything ... Elvis is alive and well or there is a double decker bus on the moon.

I do think their 'golden age' is behind them though

• SYN
    SYN

ty·rant Pronunciation Key (trnt)
    n.
    An absolute ruler who governs without restrictions.
    A ruler who exercises power in a harsh, cruel manner.
    An oppressive, harsh, arbitrary person.

So Xenu, these guys in the GB, who have caused the deaths of innocent people through their policy flip-flops, and who CANNOT be questioned by ANY Jehovah's Witness (as is well known, their power is ABSOLUTE, for they cannot be QUESTIONED, for they are the messengers of GOD), are not tyrants.

Does anybody else see the blatant incorrectness of this statement of Xenu, or is it just me?

Seven006: "Have you tried drugs? Shooting up a little heroin might do the trick, it's hard to type when your stoned out of your mind. I don't know how TR does it!"

• roybatty
    roybatty

>>No JW in good standing will touch it with a barge pole unless it is necessary for work or ‘bona fide’ research.<<

I enjoyed your post and the warnings contained within. However, I wouldn't agree with the above statement. Maybe the older JWs can avoid the Internet but no way can the young ones. I was a JW kids when I first heard about 1975. I was curious about it, want to know what it was all about but how could I possible research such a "taboo" subject. Now a days any JW with even an ounce of curiousity can find as much information about it as they want. I like what someone else said in their post. The more the Society tells their followers not to go on the internet, the more people will be curious to find out what's on there.
    I don't think that the WT will go away anytime soon, but what has happened in countries such as the UK, Holland, France and Germany is a sign of things to come.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit