I just got ripped off for two grand :-(

by Mindchild 54 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

Having given this one some thought, a couple of questions.

1. Do you have any insurance Renter's or homeowners?

2. Did you at least file a police report? My condo was burglarized 3 years ago, I lost EVERYTHING but the heavy furniture. I had renter's ins for $25,000. My losses came to $28,000. Man, am I glad I had "replacement value renter's ins".--which cost me about $17 per month. ANYONE who rents and doesn't have renter's ins should go get it today, IMHO. It took the police 8 hours to arrive and as soon as they found out I had insurance, they didn't give a shit. I thought it was shoddy police work but hey at least I recovered cash. The insurance company would never have considered paying the claim without the report being made.

3. What are the grounds for terminating your lease? If you really feel he did this--you need to leave FAST before other shit starts growing legs.

4. Could you have left it in your car--would your car insurance cover the theft of valuables? <think hard before you answer this one OR make a police report>

This really sucks, so sorry.
    Lisa

• noidea
    noidea

It may not help now but if you don't recover it ..I think you can count it on next years taxes. Just keep the records of the police report.

• ballistic
    ballistic

It's amazing what you guys can claim off tax, first slavery duty and now this?

• noidea
    noidea

ballistic,

It's the American way.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Mindchild, it seems that if it was stolen by the person you suspect he would have taken all the money, both envelopes. I guess, though, if he were in a hurry he might have just grabbed one of the envelopes and then fled. The police are right, though, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Even if the owner of the home has insurance, it would rarely cover cash belonging to a tenant because its more difficult to prove you had the cash in the first place. Its just your word against theirs. Tough break!

• julien
    julien

Old Man Potter has your money.

• patio34
    patio34

Bummer, Mindchild. Not only are you out the money, but you may have to find new living arrangements.

I'm hoping you find it and your worst fears aren't true. My sympathy.

P.S. But at least ya still got your good looks

All intelligent people are confrontational.--HBO's Winston Churchill

• SYN
    SYN

Mindchild: My situation is similiar to yours, I rent a room in a house with a couple of other people. My solution is simple. I repeatedly left my door unlocked for a long time, and even left some rather valuable items lying on my bed (behind the unlocked door). Before doing this, though, I rigged a webcam on my computer along with a very simple recognition program (took 5 minutes to write) that would send off a snapshot of the room every 10 seconds when it detected movement (i.e. when the image changed more than a certain amount in a certain period of time, such as when somebody entered the room when I wasn't there). The reed switch activated the camera.

The key thing here was that the camera and my program combined would send a snapshot image to my email at work as an attachment every time they sensed movement.

Lo and behold, three weeks after I moved in one of the other people in the house went inside my room and took a small, not terribly valuable item which I since got back. We kicked him out of the house, as it was pretty damning to see his face in those images as he took the thing.

Try this, it works like a bomb. And there's no way they can prevent it happening (not even by switching off the power - I have a UPS that lasts more than long enough to send off MANY snapshots of my room).

Seven006: "Have you tried drugs? Shooting up a little heroin might do the trick, it's hard to type when your stoned out of your mind. I don't know how TR does it!"

• SYN
    SYN

Am I trying to be Big Brother or what? But I've gotta guard my STUFF!

Seven006: "Have you tried drugs? Shooting up a little heroin might do the trick, it's hard to type when your stoned out of your mind. I don't know how TR does it!"

• ballistic
    ballistic

Mind child, if the guy that stole it is a low life as you say, it should not be difficult to find out if it is him. It will not be conclusive but it will be very probable. (and hey - that's good enough for me)
    You need to do what the undercover CID would do here in the UK. Watch and wait. This guys a low life yeah? Never got any money? What has he never got enough money for? What can't he afford? What does he never have enough of? food? clothes? tunes? going out on the town? or even drugs?
    Just wait for him to slip up. It might take a couple of weeks. Wait for that new bracelet to appear, new leather jacket or sweeping engagement.
    And watch him either make excuses for where he got the money or completely avoid telling you about the purchase alltogether. This will be your nail in the coffin!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit