The decline and fall of the Watchtower empire..........

by Terry 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

Charisma can work wonders.

It can be both entertaining or maddening to large crowds of eager listeners.

Whole populations can be swayed by a silver tongue or mad ranting poison-sac attached to a man leading a movement.

The history of the Watchtower Society proves this.

Leadership is tricky and movements are volatile. Those who made you can undo you too.

Look at Charles Taze Russell. He went from the haberdasher men's clothing business to world famous evangelist before he burned out

and lost his wife and became embroiled in scandal and controversy. His fabrications caught up with him as his matchstick kingdom was faced

with too many "corrections" due to too many false claims.

The equally charismatic Judge Rutherford managed to infuriate and inspire all at the same time as he scooped up what was left of Russell's well-funded publishing empire and split it into warring factions almost immediately.

By the time he died of rectal cancer, a whole new religion had been born.

Using people of faith as firewood, the Judge had thrown human lives into the fire of martyrdom like some zealot Mullah in present day JIHAD.

Creating billboards of "faithful believers willing to die", Rutherford attracted people wanting to join a religious movement that had some explosive zeal and purpose to it instead of the corner church style passive resignation.

None of this was going to last, however. You can only run lemmings off a cliff just so often before they screech to a halt and begin to question matters in depth.

The source of fuel for the JW engine was Fred Franz whose firebrand zeal for reinventing shopworn Adventist doctrines never lagged.

The man was on a pedestal until he balked at the removal of GB power in the hands of his titular buddy, Nathan Knorr in 1972.

Why 1972?

Cooler heads were aghast at the runaway train leading to 1975 and Knorr had approved it.

Who woulda thunk the entire world of JW's would glom on to "yet another" prediction with such hysteria?

Yet, they did. All except the more business-like corporate types who saw a good thing in the Real Estate business.

By removing the power from one man and placing into a larger pool of minds the signal had been given that the real "end" was nearing.

Franz was President even after he derailed the already sad reputation of JW's as nutcases. How? Why?

Simply because his poison sack had been removed and he had been chastened.

His focus narrowed to cracking down Inquisition style on nay-sayers who had begun to see the real "light". Apostate war was about to commence.

Don't be misled by the NUMBERS GAME. It does not matter how many Jehovah's Witnesses go by that silly name worldwide.

It doesn't mean what it once meant.

When I was first associated with the religion in the fifties and sixties the average JW was expected to master the theology and give a scathing

rebuttal to any who challenged them.

They were a feisty and well-indoctrinated lot. The corpses of the faithful were on prominent display with proud and zealous lunacy as the STANDARD

for what was expected of us all whether it be blood transfusions or so-called "christian neutrality" in imprisonment.

As Franz grew more senile and began having conversations with his own shoes, the fire went out of the prophetic/exegetic chronology and date-setting

engine that drove all the lemmings repeatedly off new cliffs of self-discovery.

Today, the average JW at the door doesn't know their pathetic ass from a jar of peanut butter.

They avoid confrontation for a good reason: the INTERNET has armed the householder with facts--implacable particulars that can unwind their clock.

We now have silly child-like minds and faces with eyes full of zeros mouthing slogans and hawking pamphlet-sized Watchtower magazines.

The "real" Watchtower has gone underground and is a snake swallowing its own tail.

There is no longer any "there" there.

The religion became a cult around 1983 when it turned on its own members by alienating them from their own families. DF'd children and relatives could be coaxed back into the fold before that date. But, the clampdown became retribution and condemnation full throttle in 83. You could be kicked out just for speaking a single word to ex-members.

The CULT could not preach out loud the hate that was being fostered for the "mentally diseased" apostates because it would immediately be seen as criminal. The wound to the soul of the family could never heal.

Loyalty to the "mouthpiece" has replaced education in doctrine.

Drones still slog from door to door half-heartedly but they have nothing to say that means anything with any energy or conviction.

The JW is dead on his feet and his butt aches in the folding chairs as his remaining family is bored silly at the monotonous meetings week after week after week.

The young have fled and the old see the cracks and feel the falling plaster hitting them on the head.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES are ripe for an inside takeover and it is happening NOW. The old guard is dying off.

It won't be long now...

• donny
    donny

I could not have said it better. Great observations Terry.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth

Baby boomer JW facing diapers and dentures and finally death.

Was born 3rd gen Jehovah's Witness in 1957 watched ALL MY JW CLAN come and go never thinking they would die of old age in this system.I am now working long and hard $$ just to keep my original teeth in my mouth.Teeth that were never cared for the way they should have been,I was age 17 in 1975 was supposed to get 'delivered in to paradise' then.

I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE

Adult diapers

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"It won't be long now",

do you mean it is Evidently Imminent Terry ? not "just around the corner" but, "right at the end of the street"?

Will "Millions now living" see this demise of the WT ?

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I agree with every word you've written Terry.

It frustrates me that you can't expect witnesses to know their own doctrine now. I'm only in my 30's, and I remember the 'deep' (crazy) public talks and watchtowers on prophecy, the community feeling of "we're all in it together", the feeling that we've got the truth and everything we believe is strongly backed by the bible, and and and THAT generation is nearly 70 or 80 now!

Now it's switched to a religion that sells endurance, demands obedience and offers a pet lion at some indeterminant point.

The amount of kids who are just hanging out until they are old enough to leave home is amazing. Some of them hang out here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/

The fish rots from the head down. Is there any chance that GB 2.0 are brave and intellegent enough to re-engineer the religion in to something that can survive the information age? Or are they themselves slaves to a concept nothing is really wrong (if only the brothers would just do as they're told) and that anything but glacial incremental change will destroy the religion?

Where will the rebellion come from?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Totally agree with your comments Terry.

What changes will the Watchtower Corporation make in the coming years is the interesting part of

this story. This entire organization from the top down is a pretentious delusion and it really was the power and money

that help to create this delusion by the aggressive endeavors of J Rutherford and F Franz.

Correct too in that many JWS are starting to Awake from out of this psychological delusion.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

in sharing my thoughts on the july 15, 2013 study edition and all the changes therein, I have seen two camps, those that can see the control agenda, and those that couldn't care less because they don't understand a word of it.

As one sister of absolute blind faith instructed me after I asked her a thought provoking question about the new changes: "just say....."I beleive"".

In a nutshell, you get it or you don't.

for most they must make a consciencious choice to NOT understand the "new light", they choose to just keep up the routine because the end is so close despite not knowing WHY its so close.
    All the while not even realizing that the religion they were baptized into is an apostasy to the one they now serve.

Thanks Terry!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Terry:

Again, another amazing thread. You must lay awake at night putting these together.

I guess I wasn't paying attention because I was not aware of the year 1983 as being the approximate date the religion was telling people to cut off their non-JW relatives. By so doing, it became a "cult" (a word it hates and denies). "No. we're not a cult, but all those other religions are."

This attempt to alienate JWs from their families and turn them into isolated drones is something I will never forgive the religion for. I had a light-bulb moment one Thanksgiving holiday season when I was all alone and wondering to myself if Jehovah is only pleased if I am staring at four walls. I felt like some nut in the hills fighting somebody's private war. This was the beginning of my awakening and heading for the door.

I totally agree with you that the JW religion of today and the people in it do not resemble the religion or the people from years ago. Like night and day. It also doesn't help that the religion in recent times has recruited people I would positively run from. Many have serious "issues" which is putting it mildly.

But, I guess the religion wanted to fill the empty seats in many kingdom halls! One of those vacant seats is one I used to sit in.

• Shador
    Shador

In re: Witnesses not knowing their doctrine.

The GB are not dumb. They have noticed this.

At the CO/DO visit just passed, our D.O. mentioned this in his closing talk, urging parents to equip their children to defend and explain the doctrines.

The irony being that I suspect half of the parents don't really fully understand them.

• Wholly
    Wholly

My baptized sister just came back from a week long trip to Canada & NY with other JW's. She said that there was a lot of new information that was enlightening but couldn't explain it to me. It was just "really good."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit