exJW Psychology 102--How to Ask a Question When Questions Aren't Allowed

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 41 Replies latest jw friends

• coppersgirl67
    coppersgirl67

Billy I like that fact that you can pose questions to definatly make one think. You posted on a thread earlier about my daughter who is turning 18 next month and claims she will then cut me off as her sister did over 4 years ago. I myself fled the JW 10 years ago and very happy with my decision and now realize that it is a cult. However, she was raised in it just as I was and stayed with her father after the divorce so he could continue to inculcate her.

Now remember at 18 she will not know some of the indepth things that JW teach as she will when she is older but I want to know what are some basic questions that you would raise to a youth to make them think on their own and possibly even re consider all that they have ever known?

I have made efforts to tell her what I think and why but I feel you are right and that posing some questions are best. I am very interested in just a few questions and if she decides to discuss it a bit futher with me how I can show just a couple of scriptures from her own bible to back it up. Now that I am no longer a JW I have done a lot to stay away from the indoctirnation of any religion or cult and remain spiritual but not necissarily educated on any particular biblical views. I used to be able to beat up a batist preacher on the door step with a bible but now I have lost a lot of faith and equate the bible with the JW mind control and that is something I need to deal with on my own....for my daughter I need to make myself delve in a bit and pull out some interesting points for her to ponder!!!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

C's girl67, something I used once or twice was to ask "what could I say to a person who knows what most of the JW teachings are, but is not convinced it is the one true religion, what can I use to convince them ?"

This makes the JW confront this issue, and everything they bring up can of course be de-bunked. There is no gurantee of a good result, the last person I tried it on came back with a totally stupid retort, but literally ran away before I could reply.

Hopefully you may get in to a conversation/reasoned debate with your daughter.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

coppersgirl,

It's hard to know what question or subject might get someone like your daughter to start thinking. But I would suspect that in your case, her defenses are built up so high that her WT programming has her trained to shut down at any perceived provocation from you.

I'll go back over to your other thread and do some rereading to catch up on your situation...

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

bumping

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

Well done

• Esse quam videri
  • nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    Billy, This thread doesn't get old. I refer back to it now and again. Thank you :-)
  • Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

In light of the events with the Royal Commission, I think it's time to bump up this thread.

Now that WT's pedophilia problem is back in the news, it would be very easy to tell "the friends" that people in the territory, at work, or at school are talking bad about JWs not protecting children, over a thousand in Australia alone.

And after watching a parade of mind-numb JW elders, branch nuts, and GJ of the GB at the RC, we have seen Theocratic Warfare in action. Such a barrage of half-truths and double-talk, we can feel free to fight fire with fire. WT is hoping that "worldly people" aren't paying attention to this news. Time to turn Theocratic Warfare back on them and let them know that people are talking about it... indeed, all nonJWs should be talking about this at least.

Here's a couple of suggestions from my Theocratic Arsenal:

• Know an elder that annoys you about getting out to preach? Tell him that a return visit is very upset after seeing a WT YouTube video that showed a bunch of elders explaining that the Bible doesn't allow them to report perverts to the police and admit that JWs are in a captive organization. Ask him what you should say when you go back... if you go back?
    • Know a sister that is a busybody and drives you nuts? Write a letter to 25 Columbia Heights asking for an application to become a Female Elders Assistant that GJ described. Include the name of the congregation with a comment that you personally are away of many ways the elders need help. Sign her name on the letter and send it in.
  • life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks Billy. Love how you think. I truly hope to be able to use this someday. I only wish my mind worked as well as yours. I have learned so much form you being on this board. Great ideas.

LITS

• Heaven
    Heaven

Love it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit