exJW Psychology 102--How to Ask a Question When Questions Aren't Allowed

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 41 Replies latest jw friends

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Even if I mentally prepared, I'd miss the opportunity and only think of the killer question/comment too late. That's why I like forums LOL.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Bump

awesome ideas.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I guess I hadn't mentioned it on this thread yet, but when I pose these questions I don't frame them for my listener to repond. I tried as much as possible to not put them on the spot and raise their defenses. I wanted them to open their mind. It's just a matter of getting them to understand the scenario and that they can't just parrot, "Rely on Jehovah." My parents had been the mostly likely to try to create a response, but I stop them with, "but what have we been taught? What information has WT published that we can use to answer the question without using personal speculation?" I suppose in the debating style, I used an "I'm on your side" kind of approach where we were stuck between WT's lack of direction and a householder/workmate/relative/classmate that poses a legit question.

Additionally, I've used the scenario about the blood issue when talking with Jews in the ministry. Jews accept transfused blood because they understand the law is a dietary restriction and nobody in the bible was killed for eating blood. Additionally, the restriction only applied to the blood of dead animals, not live donors. So how do you correct the thinking of a Jew... who clearly understands the OT better than WT does.

• prologos
    prologos

Billy, great for a good mind like yours.

talking about dragging things on.

How about substituting Kangaroos for Koalas.

Roos can really travel, flying half of the time.

kuddly koalas would be still on the road, caught up in the Irac, Afgahn war.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You have obviously never heard of the Pangea...

DD

• prologos
    prologos

yea, the continental drift is even slower than the Koalas. 1 meter/yard per decade, century? or pushing up the Himalyas after the flood?

only in the watch tower wonderland.

another good question to work into the Billy the bethel heavy "field service question" or

family worship night question disguised as "what if somebody in the service would ask you about the Koalas, platypus (pie?), pandas, -- how would you refute that?

you get the drift? the continental drift?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks Billy great stuff

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Here's some additional info on the ark/animal issues:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/183719/1/From-Noahs-Ark-to-Australia-Awake-Jan-8-1969-pp-5-8#.UqNN6-Iljcw

And here's more on population issues after the flood:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/202031/1/Tower-of-Babel-built-by-Babies

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like all Leolaia's linked images are showing up anymore . I miss Leo.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Billy, I really enjoy these posts of yours. I am not this clever. When my give a damn broke, I mentally was flipping everyone off so much I could barely hide my disdain. My last talk as an elder, I caught myself laughingly scoffing at the audience a couple of times. Just because I checked out mentally.

This is a great resource for people who need to negotiate a fade to be able to talk with out tipping their hands....

• Black Man
    Black Man

Love this thread!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit