Disturbing material in May 15, 2002 Watchtower

by spender 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• spender
    spender

In the Questions from Readers section, the question was: "Would it be advisable for a true Christian to attend a funeral or a wedding in a church?"

To analyze this wonderful piece, I'm going to use their words, and translate them into real English.

"Being in a group where everyone else is engaging in a false religious act, a Christian may find it difficult to resist the pressure to join in. How unwise to expose oneself to such pressure!"

Since you are unable to control your emotions, we will. It's so much harder to not participate in the actions of others, especially in a group of mature adults who believe in freedom of religion...it's certainly of course much harder when you were very young and were subjected to the saluting of the flag, surrounded by children wondering what you were doing. But yet you still went to school, in a house of idolatry!

referring to a wife telling her unbelieving husband she would not take part in any religious ceremonies...
    "On the basis of her explanation, he may conclude that his wife's presence could give rise to a situation that might be unpleasant to him."

This part at least makes some sense...though if the witness wasn't a stuck-up old hag having an attitude that she's compromising her beliefs with babylon the great, I see few people that would have a problem with her being there. Funerals aren't the time for bickering about religion (though I might add that at the funeral of my mother's father, a man who she found out was her father when she was nearing her 50's, made it a point to show to us kids all the flaws of the church while we were there at the funeral!...you would think she would have even the littlest of respect for others there, or even her father)

"Not to be overlooked is the effect our attending a service in a religious building might have on fellow believers."

If you go to a funeral, you're going to be looked down on by other members in the cong.

"Whatever the situation, the Christian should make sure that the decision will not interfere with his preserving a good conscience before God and men."

and especially the Elders.

it upsets me a great deal that they're so anal about their doctrines that they'd make their followers guilty of going to their own relatives' funerals! sheesh.

• troubled
    troubled

Just a comment on this.

You said,

"If you go to a funeral, you're going to be marked."

Not true. Granted, the article is written in a way that advises against going, but end of article still leaves the decision up to the individual JW. I know, I read it myself.

p.s. Many JWs I know have gone to funerals for close family members (myself included) and were not marked for it.

• spender
    spender

If you couldn't tell, I was exaggerating on that part. Regardless, if you have enough jerks in your congregation, you'll feel like you were marked. They love being holier than thou.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If you talk to "worldly" people about a person being "marked" within the context of a community, those worldly people will understand what you mean immediately.

Marking does not have to be via an official "marking" talk. Which, btw, I was the subject of recently, woohooo!

Good to see you around, Troubled.

I agree that in the past, simply attending a non-witness funeral would not get you marked, officially or otherwise. After this article, I'm sure someone, somewhere, will be unofficially "marked".

If those idiots in Brooklyn would just shut the hell up, simply choose NOT to comment, this world would be a better place. A MUCH better place for those affected directly by the WT.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    Granted, the article is written in a way that advises against going, but end of article still leaves the decision up to the individual JW.

Whatever. No use trying to pull the wool over our eyes - we all (who have been in the JWs) know how articles like this are used by elders and other spirtual Nazis in the KH. "The WT says not to go". If it becomes an issue, and you go anyway, you are 'not showing proper respect for kindom arragements/athority"

I hate when people say "The WT dosen't say you can't" when we ALL know that 'good' JWs know that they "can't". Why not? Because "How would it look". Too many JW busybodies running around being stumbled by every action of other JWs.

The org itself however can spread it's legs and hump the wild beast for a library card - no big deal.

• troubled
    troubled

To NameWithheld,

Yes, some JWs in the organization DO take advice/admonition and turn it into a congregational "rule." And perhaps some JWs will unofficially "mark." But individuals who do so aren't mature enough to understand the issue of free will and the difference between scriptural principle and Bible law.

The point remains that an individual still has the CHOICE whether or not to attend the funeral. There is no Bible rule on this, but there are principles to consider. So it often boils down to:

(1) I care most about what my fellow JWs will think of me, and therefore WON'T go.

Or

(2) I care more about attending the funeral of a close friend/family member than what my fellow JWs think of me, and therefore I WILL go.

But maybe the correct view is:

(3) I care most about what Jehovah thinks of me. What would He want me to do? Let's see, there is no set Bible rule, but there are principles to consider. OK, I've considered the principles that apply, what do I CHOOSE to do?

Yes, if a JW decides to go to the funeral, they run the risk of being labeled "disobedient" or "weak" by some in the congregation. But no matter what choices you make in life, there will always be someone who disagrees or who judges you unfairly. That's true whether you are a JW or not.

Sure, it hurts to have some people judge or view you as "weak" for making a decision that is your own right to make. But not every JW is going to judge you. Not those who can determine the difference between scriptural principle and Bible law and who recognize an individual's right to free choice in the matter.

• apostate man
    apostate man

There must have been an "imaculate conversion" going on, with all the funerals these days and such, for the All Seeing Eye(WT) to once again revoke your right to do as you choose.

I mean, really, they must have found out how much people worship false Gods and all at funerals. That's all I ever did at a funeral.

Break the chains that bind you,
    unless, of course, you're into that sort of thing.
  • seedy3
    seedy3

A friend of ours just died last monday, the island is 90% catholic but have a extra long roesry for the dead here, it goes for 9 days. Being I am not christian I have no real desire to go to them but out of respect for her and her family, I have gone to one of the roseries and will attend one more at the end lus the funeral. in reading what was posted on the article:

"Being in a group where everyone else is engaging in a false religious act, a Christian may find it difficult to resist the pressure to join in. How unwise to expose oneself to such pressure!"
    I find this perposterious, I went and sat there and never once felt any pressure to participate in the prayer or rosery, it never even came to mind.

What I really think is in question here is the WTS is afraid that the Jdub will go to a church and perhaps hear something that makes more sence and see the freedom of religon that many other christain denominations teach and perhaps catch hold of it. So it is more they don't want the R/F to see the truth of Christendom.

Seedy

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

After DAing myself I returned to a KH for the funeral of an aunt. I did not at all feel compelled to participate in the song, prayer, etc... I was just there to show my respects.

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

• Kristen
    Kristen

I just saw this QFR too. In case anyone wants to read the whole thing I did an OCR scan to share.

Questions From Readers

Would it be advisable for a true Christian to attend a funeral or a wedding in a church?

Our taking part in any form of false religion is displeasing to Jehovah and must be avoided. (2 Corinthians 6:14-17; Revelation 18:4) A church funeral is a religious service that likely involves a sermon advocating such unscriptural ideas as the immortality of the soul and a heavenly reward for all good people. It may also include such practices as making the sign of the cross and joining in prayer with the priest or minister. Prayers and other religious exercises contrary to Bible teaching may also be a part of a religious wedding ceremony held in a church or elsewhere. Being in a group where everyone else is engaging in a false religious act, a Christian may find it difficult to resist the pressure to join in. How unwise to expose oneself to such pressure!

What if a Christian feels obligated to attend a funeral or a wedding held in a church? An un-believing husband, for example, may urge his Christian wife to be with him on such an occasion. Could she join him as a quiet observer? Out of regard for her husband's wishes, the wife may decide to go with him, being determined not to share in any religious ceremonies. On the other hand, she may decide not to go, reasoning that the emotional pressure of the circumstances could prove to be too much for her, perhaps causing her to compromise godly principles. The decision would be hers to make. She definitely would want to be settled in her heart, having a clean conscience.—1 Timothy 1:19.

In any case, it would be to her advantage to explain to her husband that she could not conscientiously share in any religious ceremonies or join in the singing of hymns or bow her head when prayer is offered. On the basis of her explanation, he may conclude that his wife's presence could give rise to a situation that might be unpleasant to him. He may choose to go alone out of love for his wife, respect for her beliefs, or a desire to avoid any embarrassment. But if he insists that she go with him, she might go as a mere observer.

Not to be overlooked is the effect our attend-ing a service in a religious building might have on fellow believers. Could it injure the conscience of some? Might their resistance to avoid engaging in idolatry be weakened? "Make sure of the more important things," admonishes the apostle Paul, "so that you may be flawless and not be stumbling others up to the day of Christ."—Philippians 1:10.

If the occasion involves a close fleshly relative, there may be additional family pressures. In any case, a Christian must carefully weigh all the factors involved. Under certain circumstances he or she may conclude that no difficulties would arise from attending a church funeral or wedding as an observer. However, the circumstances may be such that by attending, the likely injury to one's own conscience or to that of others would outweigh the possible benefits of being present. Whatever the situation, the Christian should make sure that the decision will not interfere with his preserving a good conscience before God and men.

28 THE WATCHTOWER • MAY 15, 2002

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit