I celebrated my daughters birthday for the first time...

by cognac 23 Replies latest jw friends

• StAnn
    StAnn

My dad is not a JW but has been married to my JW mother for over 50 years, so he's kind of a JW by osmosis. We never celebrated birthdays. He called me once on my 40th birthday to talk about something else. I said, "Oh, I thought you called me to wish me a happy birthday." Dad said, "Is it your birthday? How old are you?" I told him and then asked him, "Don't you remember when I was born?" He hem-hawed around and then said, "Let's see," and started telling me the story of my birth. He went through the entire ordeal. At the end I told him that the story was right but the daughter was wrong--he'd just told the story of my sister's birth. He couldn't remember the story of when I was born. If we'd had birthdays like normal people he'd have heard the story recited enough to know that my mother didn't even make it to the delivery room with me and that I came out screaming. The doctor said, "You're naming this girl Serena, as loud as she is?"

JWs suck.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My birthday is tomorrow. I don't expect a phone call from the parental units.

I love celebrating the days of my children's births. I remember each birth story and have repeated the stories to each of my kids. How can I not celebrate the day I finally got to see the little one I had fallen in love with?

Cognac, your baby is acting normal. Don't take her joy away.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Happy birthday to your little one. Last December my son turned 4 and my daughter just turned 1 last Saturday. My JW MIL watches the kids when we’re working and I kinda encouraged him to tell grandma how much fun he had at the birthday party.

Mrs. Dazed’s last meeting was almost 2 months ago and she is fully faded. Her mom doesn’t give her too hard a time. These happy memories are the ones they will remember when they’re older. Good luck with everything.

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

You're giving her traditions that she will pass on. Her life will be richer for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit