I celebrated my daughters birthday for the first time...

by cognac 23 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

It was so nerve racking! It wasn't anything big, but its ALL SHE EVER TALKS ABOUT in front of ALL my family!!! I mean, she talks about it almost every single frigging day. I didn't know it would be this big of a deal...

My mom tried to tell her we don't celebrate birthdays and my daughter just completely ignores her and goes on and on and on all about how great they are! Every single toy she sees is a "birthday present". We had a cake for my brothers anniversary and she announced that it was a birthday cake and tried to blow out the candles that weren't there. I said to my mom not to make a big deal of it because she will just feed into her excitement about it and she completely backed down.

But, this gig is up for me pretty soon. I'm not going to not celebrate it and I won't allow anyone to teach her its wrong. I'm done. Literally looking for a new home...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Cognac, birthdays are one of the fondest memories a child will have. Why are you looking for a new home? How old is your daughter?

• Joliette
    Joliette

Good for you! Sadly I didnt get to celebrate my birthday growing up but if I do have kiddies I'm gonna make sure they get to celebrate theres!

• cognac
    cognac

She is outting me to my JW family. So, I feel like they are going to soon shun me so there will be nothing keeping me here anymore. Looking for a house in a different state.

She is four.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Happy Memories she will keep forever!!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Are you taking your husband, too? He's a JW, right?

Four. Of course her birthday is a big thing to her. When do JWs ever make a kid feel special?

• cognac
    cognac

I really didn't think it would be this big of a deal to her. I'm a little bit shocked by it...

It's also forcing the JW issues which I was hoping to avoid as long as possible...

• cognac
    cognac

I have no clue, I've never celebrated it myself so I thought it would be nice but not this big of a deal...

I will take him too. Not sure how long our marriage will last but he will be around our kids all the time.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

So awesome that you did that for your daughter. I only wish my parents had the same amount of courage when I was a kid.

The best thing to do when dealing with this cult is take a stand and let the chips fall where they may. Don't bow to their stupid ass rules, give your kids what they deserve, special days that honor them for being special people.

Hope your move works out for the best!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

This is great. You might not realize it now, but your daughter's happiness is way more important than pleasing a bunch of toxic hateful relatives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit