Atheists / Agnostics: do any of you still enjoy going to church/mosque/synagogue?

by free @ last 15 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

The local Synagogue has stained glass window art based on Marc Chagall's Bible Stories.

• free @ last
    free @ last

There's a Hindu temple around here that I'd really like to visit. I hear the food there is amazing.

I'd never skip breafast for church Scully.

The senior minister at the church I visit most regularly is an atheist of Jewish background so her sermons tend to resonate with me. The junior minister is a younger gay man who's an ex-catholic theist, even so I can agree with and learn from most of his sermons. I kinda like some of the rituals, singing, lighting candles in memory of loved ones some Sundays. Other times I can't stand the rituals so I just pop in in time for the sermon. A friend who goes pretty much exclusively for the sermons and the coffee hour said that listening to the sermons were pretty much like auditing a philosophy lecture at the Ivy league school she went to.

• Terry
    Terry

Just my opinion here, okay.

I find worship to be a character flaw I never want to allow to run rampant in my personality again.

The sacred spaces may be beautiful but---they are beautiful the way a serial killer's lampshades out of human flesh are lovely.

Sorry. I said it was just my opinion.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

yes. i cycle daily and love riding thru the church parking lots and looking at all of the sullen or hungover people on sunday. i get lots of looks from people who would rather be doing what i am. it is kinda a douchbag move on my part but i make it obvious that im lovin life while they are about to hate it. i go extra slow, smile, and sometimes circle around for another pass.

• still thinking
    still thinking

You don't even need to go to church to get that tingle down your spine....watch this video...I love it. Wish I had been there. Too cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=104Np0lzUrM

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I enjoy visiting those places, more for interest than anything else. In the old churches, yes, love the stained glass! I love the quiet. Those places can be great for thinking, reflection, just a good atmosphere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit