Atheists / Agnostics: do any of you still enjoy going to church/mosque/synagogue?

by free @ last 15 Replies latest jw friends

• free @ last
    free @ last

If so why?

I'm in awe of sacred spaces. Love stained glass rose windows and gothic architecture.

I like coral music (who knew).

I love the sense of community.

I love talking about the concept of god(s) and attempting to define spirituality.

I like really old people... they tend to hang out in church

• cofty
    cofty

The poem "Church Going" by Philip Larkin captures this sentiment perfectly, the last verse in particular..

A serious house on serious earth it is, In whose blent air all our compulsions meet, Are recognized, and robed as destinies. And that much never can be obsolete, Since someone will forever be surprising A hunger in himself to be more serious, And gravitating with it to this ground, Which, he once heard, was proper to grow wise in, If only that so many dead lie round.
  • free @ last
    free @ last

Yes Cofty for me it is so habitual to wake up on a Sunday and gravitate to a house of worship. I've actually forced myself these last three weeks not to go just to make sure I'm not addicted. It's left me melancholy.

What do you think of atheism2.0?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oe6HUgrRlQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am fascinated by religious architecture

• free @ last
    free @ last

Yep! Love the architecture especially since so much newer buildings going up are so underwhelming.

Some churches draw more tourist than congregants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/25/nyregion/church-tithing-slips-in-harlem-even-as-neighborhood-improves.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

• Scully
    Scully

No, going out for breakfast is much more satisfying than going to worship services.

I can enjoy the architecture of a church without having to listen to a sermon. I can listen to Gregorian chant without the imposition of worship.

• 5go
    5go

No, I do not.

• cofty
    cofty
    What do you think of atheism2.0?

I think Alain de Botton and his ideas are ridiculous.

Personally I would rather do almost anything than go to a place of worship on a Sunday morning. I do get something out of visiting churches when there is no worship going on.

• Mum
    Mum

I do enjoy high church Episcopal services. Episcopal churches are some of the oldest and most beautiful in many cities and towns in the U.S. I have never attended a Jewish service, but would like to.

I would also like to attend a Buddhist service. My daughter went to a Buddhist service once, and when she came back home she said the priest there behaved like an evangelical preacher, so I don't think she'll be going back. I'm sure not all Buddhists religious leaders are like that. Buddhists seem more open-minded than other religious adherents, so that appeals to me.

I like church music. It's stirring and inspirational. My childhood was full of Southern gospel, and I thoroughly enjoy it to this day.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I am fascinated by religious architecture

Me too. There's a little church in the Fruitvale section of Oakland, Ca. It's not much to look at on the outside but the sanctuary is gloriously beautiful with a lot of wood and high beams.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit