Do you go to Kroger/Publix/Wal Mart?

by Iamallcool 40 Replies latest jw friends

• finally awake
    finally awake

I love Willy the Pimp! He was the best part of the People of Walmart website

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

@ moshe.. LOl ... on night stands are ok... LOL

Grocery Outlets .. are a store that carrys over stocked and discontinued Items ..

http://www.groceryoutlet.com/

• trujw
    trujw

Wow nothing can bring a jw out or xjw than talking about cheap food lol this is bringing back memories.

• fiddler
    fiddler

After reading all this I figured I'd add to my list..........

I shop a lot at Winco as well.......used to work there in bulk foods in the 80's when it was Waremart. The bulk foods has some pretty awesome savings, too.

I also sometimes go to Grocery Outlet. I love it when I find things that were from New Seasons for huge discounts! They also have some great specialty cheeses sometimes.

I have a Costco card and shop there maybe once a month.

Trader Joes is just a fun place to shop and yes they DO have great chocolate!

Last but not least, summer is coming and in summer I try to get all my fresh veggies at the farmers market. Fresh is best!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I quit going to Walmart, now calling them Crap Mart because they sell mostly cheap crap. Generally I would rather go online for general merchandise--pay full price for top quality. Most of my L.L.Bean clothing has outlasted Crap Mart's rubbish. I am within Wegmans' territory, and so I go shopping there. I get things from 1000 Bulbs, Battery Junction, and Christmas Lights Etc. And those Cree LED light bulbs that have come out recently are only available at Home Depot, so if you want the first mainstream LED light bulbs, you need to shop there for these items.

As Wegmans carries an excellent selection of good groceries, I don't need to shop at Walmart. If you are too far north for Publix and east for Raley's, I recommend seeing if you have a Wegmans. They are expanding into New England, New York, and into the mid Atlantic region and might go even further south and west. And yes, I have seen Consumer Reports consistently rank Wegmans, Publix, and Raley's in the top 3 supermarkets--and Tops near the bottom (the latest had Wegmans at the very top and Tops at the very bottom). Food Lion, Grand Union, and A&P also rank near the bottom.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy
    First store stop is Aldi- bare bones store but cheap and it is owned by Trader Joes. They have awesome chocolate there.

Aldi opened a store very near to us about a year ago. We do most of our shopping there. They have decent food, and like you said, the chocolate is awesome! I've never really been a chocolate person before, with the exception of the occasional Hershey's Dark Chocolate bar, but I quickly got hooked on the Aldi Dark Chocolate bar. The brand name is Choceur Dark Chocolate, and it is only 1.49 for a 5.2 ounce bar. I am addicted!!! It is sooo incredibly creamy and has such melt in your mouth goodness that I have never eaten so much chocolate in all of my life! My Partner went to a different store the other day and bought me a Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bar thinking it would be the same. I tried to eat a piece, but it was so disgustingly sweet and wax textured that I was barely able to swallow it. I may as well have eaten a sugar dipped candle it was so gross! I will be giving the rest of it to a neighbor. The weird thing is that I used to eat Hershey's dark chocolate before that, and used to like it, but since I have been eating the Aldi brand, the difference is astounding!

I am not a fan of Wal-Mart, and try to avoid it at every cost. I'd rather spend a little more and support a smaller Mom and Pop family store that really cares about people. But, if we do go to a big named store, it will be Kroger or Tom Thumb. The food tends to be quite a bit more expensive, but if you take the time to look for the sale items, you can get by really cheaply and put together a really nice menu of good and healthy meals for a fraction of the cost.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Is Wal Mart really that bad??? They are negotiating taking over MassStores here in S.A - don't know that this is going to be a good thing by the looks of that video.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I loved going to Aldi's back in Indiana. One christmas season they carried butter fudge. Omg it was good. Haven't found any since.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Is Wal Mart really that bad??? They are negotiating taking over MassStores here in S.A - don't know that this is going to be a good thing by the looks of that video.

Lou, What is good about them is mainly price, they are fairly cheap, they are consistent, they are everywhere. They do carry organic food now, they are installing green energy technology in some stores. They carry a wide variety of things, so you can get everything in one place.

What is bad; they pay low wages. Some employees get benefits, but most are part time, so they don't. Quality is sometimes not so great, it's all made in China. In smaller towns they usually knock out the competition, mom and pop stores cannot compete with their immense buying power. They do somewhat hold their suppliers hostage, if you don't meet their price they will take their business elsewhere, which would drive many suppliers out of business. It's really not a great shopping experience, clerks are poorly trained, Cheap price does not always equal lowest cost in the long run. Selection and variety is limited on some things.

I don't think Wal-Mart is evil, but there are things about them I just don't like, and I decided that I could get by without ever going there and I have. I don't miss them at all.

depends on your point of view

• LV101
    LV101

Walmart carries a generic line called, Equate. The Ibuprofen is the same as the brand product. I don't buy much food there but all the other products needed for more than one house -- cleaning products, paper products (I have elderly folks to provide for and a desperate friend or two) and they carry allergy meds (OTC) and a generic "Benedryl" that is exactly the same properties as the original. Equate sells a facial wipe cloth and it's great for removing makeup when too tired for your regular ritual, whatever, and it's rated very high. Couple of makeup artists swear by them.

I have to give them credit for carrying the best tasting bluberries and lately their red grapes have been much better than Smiths' (Kroger) A rated produce.

They have good priced art supplies, (not high end mediums but canvasses, sketchbooks, etc.) and these are great for classes, kiddies, etc.

Kroger (Smiths) is about the best place here for fresh produce and all food products --- Boars Head deli, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit