RC Church - Originated when ? Spiritually Strong Ones please.

by *lost* 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Well, I think people who commented about your title weren't being rude. Your little hissy fit in your last post is more rude than the gentle way others pointed out that the term "spiritual" implies something negative about people who don't necessarily agree with you. And, anyway, spiritual or not, anyone could have a better knowledge of religious history than you seem to have.

By the way, some funny posts here! And thanks for the recommendation of Lost Christianities. I'm going to go look that up.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Lars,

you state : "It was around this time that the pagan Easter Celebration finally took hold over all of the various factions of the Catholic Church, obliterating the annual Lord's Supper"

Um The RC Church considers Holy Thursday of extremely high iportance. It is te observance of the last supper, the passover whenre Jesus offers himself as the sacrificial lamb.

"Except for the resurrection on Easter, Holy Thursday is possibly one of the most important, complex, and profound days of celebration in the Catholic Church." - CNA

However, Holy Thursday ( part of an entire week of observances) has not been secularized with the Easter Bunny etc., so you must have missed that one.

• *lost*
    *lost*

The Roman Catholic Church - where it sprang from. the first thousand years are obscure and hard to nail down. It became labelled as the 'universal' Church in that day as it was so powerful and spread over the world. It took a mighty blow at the reformation due to Henry the 8th. I guess the history of the other churches/xtians etc of that day will give more of a picture.

Hortensai - I didn't have a ''hissy fit''. lol, thats is NOT a hissy fit. That is stating facts.

It has nothing to do with ''agreeing'' with me. I think you will find they didn't offer any information on the topic whatsoever, but got tied up in knots about the use of a word.

''Negative'' word - says who. To who. It's not negative to me. It's not negative to other Christians. are we like radical Islamists now. Have to watch everyword ???

Remove the rafter be dammed. Laughing here.

And as for your little dig there Hortensia - that anyone could have a better knowledge of religious history me. How derogative of you, pretentious and high minded. Was that your good jw training were you one of the select few, the slave masters ? look down your nose at everyone else as you are so much better than them because you have the special religion, the 'troof' and superior knowledge of what is written in the Bible cos you were brainwashed into being memory robots.

Please.

Read back to yourself what you are saying, and look in the mirror yeah ???

NE

Loz I'm truly not bothered. Either they know or they don't. It's up to them to live their own lives and do what they want. after all isn't that what humans rights and freedom mean. I guess europe is a little bit more 'liberal'. We don't think we're better than everyone else.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I have been doing some very interesting studies about the origions of the early churches. I read of Paulenes of the eastern orthodox Churchs, and the origional Coptic Christians in Egypt and Jordan. Also the Western Church which was eventually was the Roman Church. All catholic as in the "universal sense" as well as Catholic in the Church beliefs. They did have some differences, and these did cause many dissents over the centuries. It is facinating to try to learn and distinguish all these differences, why there were differences and what they were about.

I found the JW beliefs are aryan, which in the early centuries were considered heritic becaue they did not believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ.

Then th great reformation which came about with the former Catholic Martian Luther and it was boiling down to salvation by faith lone ( Luthers belief) , vs salvation by works along with faith, from which prodtestantism found its birth.

I am only just beginning these studies, so I have a lot to learn but it is facinating.

• *lost*
    *lost*

NONJWSPOUSE

thank you. that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

I'm giving serious consideration to the fact a lot of relevent books were purposefully omitted for ulterior motives, a reason. But as with most jw's being ignorant to all this other information about the subject out there , due to spiritual knowledge of anything other than wt was banned.

Therre is a big hole. A massive gap. Something is missing/concealed.

I too find it all fascinating.

reagrds

lost

• jgnat
    jgnat

I found this link, which gives you a rough outline:

From Jesus to Constantine: 30--313. I don't trust the links on this site. One I tried sent me to a stupid ad. But it is a nice outline of what the early church was like.

Constantine (Roman Emperor) converted to Christianity and convened a council to standardize Christian beliefs. One of the standard documents that came out of this was the Nicene Creed. I would say the convening of the Nicene council was the start of the Catholic church as we know today.

One could argue that the Eastern Orthodox ( East-West Schism , 1053) have a stronger claim to provenance than the Roman Catholic Church.

• *lost*
    *lost*

Jnat - thanks. yes I have heard of the nicene creed before. i will remember to research it too.

thanks for your links.

much appreciated.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just a little off topic "aside" , the Great Schism, which caused the rift that exists down till today between the western and eastern churches was about the word "and" !!!! i.e does the Holy Ghost proceed from the Father "and" the Son, or from the Father alone.

It kind of underlines how very silly the whole thing is, especially when all religions are founded on Myth and maintained by a combination of lies and superstition.

• soontobe
    soontobe
    RC Church - Originated when ? Spiritually Strong Ones please.

If we mean "small c" catholic, well that was started by Jesus. That's the universal Church (which is what catholic means), which is composed of particular churches, which includes the Roman church.

If we mean the Roman church specifically, that was started when Peter went there.

Other apostles founded churches in other places. Some of them are in communion with Rome, and are Catholic, although not Roman.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Back on topic.

Lost, to get an idea of how old the RC church is, look at their lineage of popes. I think many would be surprised.

My JW boyfriend looked like he was having a panic attack when I showed him. I led into with, "isn't it cool that there have already been at least 3 popes from Africa already?"

I had never gotten dumped off at home so fast in my life fastest trip home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit