RC Church - Originated when ? Spiritually Strong Ones please.

by *lost* 52 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *lost*
    *lost*

Been doing a bit of research trying to tie in together a few different strands.

Not too sure what happened to Christianity and how organised religion took hold again after the Apostles died off.

I know Jerusalem was sacked 70 ce. But lots to fill in from that point onwards to bring us to where we are today.

If a few peeps could help to condense and simplify the info down into a few bite size pieces it would give us a starting point to begin to re-educate ourselves to the truth. and fill in the blanks.

I found a site 'Relligion Facts.com' which states the following.

For the first 1,000 yrs there was no 'Roman Catholicism' as we know it today.Simply because there were no EASTERN ORTHODOX or PROTESTANTISM to distinguish it.

There was only the 'one, holy, catholic church' affirmed by the early creeds, which was the body of christian believers all over the world, untied by common traditions, beliefs, church structure and worship.

CATHOLIC - means simply, UNIVERSAL.

Thus throughout the middle ages, if you were a christian you belonged to the catholic church.

Any christianity, other than the catholic church was - A HERESY. Not a denomination.

The catholic church continues to maintain that it alone has carried on the true tradition of the apostolic church.

318 - conversion of Roman Emperor Constantine.

1440 - 461 - Roman Bishop Leo, was the first to claim ultimate authority over all of christendom.

452 - saved Rome from attila the Hun.

455 - Vandal invaders, plundered the city.

5 centuries were dominated by the struggle between C Church and Islam.

Middle ages - 5th Century ce to 15th century ce. ( the first part of the middle ages is also know as the Dark Ages.)

Dark Ages - an era of IGNORANCE, SUPERSTITION OR SOCIAL CHAOS OR REPRESSION.

1095 - crusades.

1347 - 1350- the late middle ages. were marked by difficulties and clamitites. Famine. Plague. War. the black death.

17th and 18th centuries - The times of enlightenment. many critical thinkers saw religion as antithetical to reason. Voltaire, among others were vocal in attacking the religiously dominated middle ages as a period of social regress.

1517 - Martin Luther.

King Henry 8th - Reformation.

1700's - Worship Of Mary introduced.

The Enlightenment - questioned christianity as a whole. It elevated human reason above divine revelation and down-graded religious authorities such as the papacy based on it.

1700's - French revolution - saw direct attacks on the wealth of the Church.

1870 - 1940 - Third Republic. the republicans detested the Church for its political and class affiliations

• cantleave
    cantleave

What do mean spirtually strong ones? What a stupid thing to write in your title? Do you actually mean "Those that are most deluded please"?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am spiritually strong, I am virtually pickled in scotch !

you need to look up,on Wiki is a good start, Calcedonian Christianity and see when the "split" with oriental Orthodoxy started, and then look at the Great Schism etc

It seems that in reality there never was one unified Christian church, right from the start Pauline Christology was at odds with extant Christology and the fights continued, right down to our day.

The Roman Church was given authority at Chalcedon, but not without dissent. Before the 5th century it was a mess, many different sects, declared "Heretical" by the Big Boys may for all we know have been closer to the 1st Century church.

The 1st Century church, as I said above, had its divisions and arguments, and was anyway only the progenetor of the Myth and cult of Jesus.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

cant leave thats unlike to say something negative about us who hold differnet opinions,

• Terry
    Terry

Words can trip us up.

Where we stand in time and which direction we look can fool us.

For instance, was Judaism a formal religion that you joined or were kicked out of?

How would Jesus have responded to the question: "What religion are you?"

Did such a question have any meaning at all for people in the 1st century?

A church cannot be universal because we cannot travel past our own solar system.

Ideas and stories spread by people telling about them and other people listen. But, how a person hears/understands is a separate feature of transmission.

Everybody who calls themselves "christian"--if you examine their thinking--believes in a DIFFERENT idea.

That is because people, although human, are not clones.

The idea of a "church" is something today it was never thought of two thousand and umpity ump years ago.

There were people who believed in certain ideas and tried to conform to the morality of them. While, at the same moment, somebody sitting

in the same room with them had different ideas and might mightily disagree with the first guy.

When Jesus was with his disciples there was a lot of confusion, misunderstood communication and awkward bickering.

Jesus spoke a parable about wheat and weeds in which he indicated you couldn't tell them apart and should NOT TRY to separate them out!

You might just get rid of wheat while trying to excise the weeds!

But, men are faulty even with the best of intentions.

The Catholic Church became (that indicates a slow process) something and continues to become something and can only be said TO BE something

from moment to moment. Which is to say it didn't ORIGINATE so much as it coalesced.

In our vocabulary and grammer a word REPRESENTS meaning without itself BEING a meaning.

As a majority of writers and speakers change what that word intends to express.....the dictionary eventually changes to INCLUDE the new use. When the old use dies out the new use BECOMES the meaning, but--importantly--it is still the SAME WORD.

So too with the Catholic Church.

• sir82
    sir82

There was only the 'one, holy, catholic church' affirmed by the early creeds,

which was the body of christian believers all over the world, untied by common

traditions, beliefs, church structure and worship.

A common misconception by Catholic apologists, but absolutely false and easily disproven.

There were numerous branches of Christianity within just a few decades of the time generally given for Jesus' death.

A good place to start would be the book "Lost Christianities" by Bart Ehrman.

20 minutes on Wikipedia would also be a start if you have even less time.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I take it from the title that any links to information however useful but provided by atheists or agnostics will be ignored. Nothing like keeping an open mind is there?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The more you learn about TTATT. The less you will use WTBT$ terms like, " spiritually strong." It insults people.

Quick story, I knew a man who was not a JW, but most of his family was. A jw referred to him as an " un-believer." He became irritated. He said, " I am not a JW, but don't call me an un-believer, because you don't know what I believe." I was told once that I was being disciplined by the Elders to help me " spiritually progress." What they really meant was I was getting disciplined to teach me to blindly follow whatever the Watchtower magazine says without question. So their very words were condemning me as a spiritually weak person who could not make progress. Just sayin'.

Peace, DD

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

DATA-DOG said: The more you learn about TTATT. The less you will use WTBT$ terms like, " spiritually strong." It insults people.

ADCMS: I'm with you on this one.

Further, my next question to anyone who says this would be: spiritually strong compared to what? How specifically does "spiritual strength" qualify a person as an authority on religious history? Or any other subject for that matter?

This topic could very well have been titled, "The earth: a sphere? Or is it flat? Spiritually strong ones please".

Labels negate people. It's too bad some don't realize that.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Whats the SI unit of spiritual strength?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit