AAWA is here!! (The Association of Anti-Watchtower Activists)

by cedars 535 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• smiddy
    smiddy

Just under 16000 hits in a matter of days? is that a record ? obviously their is great interest in this site ,I wish it all the success to acheive its goals no matter what its name is .Even though I first had reservations about the "name" if thats what it is , then thats what it is ..I wish you all the the best.

smiddy

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I have gone onto the site and read a number of the pages and comments. I have taken the global survey because I hope that it will help somehow. I don't particualarly like joining groups on FB because I get too many notifications. I'll check it out and see.

• mind blown
    mind blown

The name is only a small fraction of the issue. There has been certain disturbing statements made.

"AAWA will tell the other side of the story by representing Ex-JWs and their concerns."

-How can AAWA represent X's when they don't REALITY GRASP THE STORY OR CONCERNS. We are telling you our concerns now. It's one thing to f**k the WTS, but the delicate matter of approach to our families is a huge concern and reflects bad on us.

"we are Anti- Watchtower - not Anti-JW."

- Where have you been? There is no separation. JW's are trained they are the organization and will protect mother no matter what. They cannot separate the two mentally. One can reason for a moment the GB is incorrect on certain issues, they will agree, then go staight back into must obey and protect mother though mother is wrong. JWs are indoctrinated they're part of that living organism.

"An organization that constantly changes course soon becomes a laughing stock. Other organizations we are building alliances with (not to mention the Governing Body) will not take us seriously if we do a 180 every time a few people object to what we're doing on JWN. When board decisions are made they need to be stuck to through thick and thin, rather than have a complete U-turn only weeks later. Otherwise, there is little or no point in making board decisions in the first place if they are all subject to change if a few individuals on an internet forum disagree with us. I for one cannot be president of such a board. Once the board makes a decision it is my job to make sure it is implemented and stuck to no matter what, otherwise I might as well not be involved at all."

-Wow, total CoC deja vu moment.

Maybe you can get some help from Steven Hassen, unless your goal is to be a copy cat Annonymous.

• Fernando
    Fernando

I'm sure AAWA will take onboard constructive criticism, and encourage those wishing to rather pursue alternatives to do so.

I doubt they're claiming to be the only game in town.

It is really hard to gather a group of ex-JWs around a common vision. Therefore I salute their brave efforts and wish them every success.

Fernando

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

Will AAWA make a submisison to the Australian Royal Comission on Child Abuse?

Just a simple, short, factual, non-hyped synposis, preferably without commentary, of the media and court reporting from Australia and the WTS' writings on the issue would be impactful and draw the attention of the Commission to the JWs.

• likeabird
    likeabird

While I understand the choice of the name, I too don't think it is the right choice.

Why?

Quite simply because no active dubs will look at it because of what it's called.

For the association to be a real success, you also need inside help and you've just shut the door to all that.

How many of us still "in" will think twice before linking to or liking AAWA's facebook page? With a 'safer' name, we could happily link which in turn will invite active dubs to take a look too. A case in point being this recent post http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/250133/1/A-very-simple-trick-for-helping-JWs-be-nice-to-them-on-YouTube

Would JWFacts have helped so many if it had been called JWlies or antiWT? I really don't think so.

I understand you want to stick to what you've decided as you've already done so much to set everything up, but if that's what everyone is saying is wrong, maybe it's because we do have a valid point. And just maybe it should be taken into account. It will be well worth it later.

If it's any help, I've also known big organizations to change their name, so while yes, it's a hastle, no, it isn't too late to make a change.

Apart from that, it's a wonderful initiative and I really hope it takes off.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I'm very grateful for the efforts of a number of individuals such as Barbara Anderson, JW Facts, Cedars to name a just a few of the many that have done a great job in fighting the WBTS. How much better that they put their heads together and get more organised?

The Ex JW community has become strong in identifying and recording the inaccuracies and hypocrasies of the WBTS as well as the impacts through experiences. Channelling some of this through AAWA that makes a further dent in the existence of the WBTS has to be a good thing.

mmxiv

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

There's the reason why I refrain to use facebook. Right there. As an active JW who is still undecided on what to do, but with family in, it would be the ultimate nightmare for me if someone against my own decision would link me to the AAWA - especially if I wouldn't be aware of it. This would be utterly nightmarish and potentially life-endangering, if you can imagine all the potential devastation it can cause. Please be VERY CAREFUL and don't take that risk lightly.

Eden

• wasblind
    wasblind

lI have personally contacted the primary person responsible (not a member or associate of AAWA) asked that person to cease and desist from linking anyone without their knowledge or permission. We are confident that this was not done maliciously, but rather due to over eagerness to try to show support for our group. There may be others besides this one person who were also over-enthusiastic about our group and were just trying to help,______Juan Viejo2

I don't look at this as a fail for AAWA

I see it as an GOOD example as to why a select few where chosen

because this group already knew you can't heard cats

They needed like minded people that represented a mix from the board

Believers and non believers who could be in agreement

and put the cause ahead of their own desires

Yes there are many great ideas that can be gleened from JWN

and it would be foolish not to listen

But How many cooks do you need to stir the pot ???????

Those concerned not about bein' exposed to non- JW's who may harass them

but bein' conerned about the retribution of the WTS rules and other Jehovah's Witnesses

Only goes to show the prison in which you all live

instead of bein' critical of what happened, it should prove to you

why it happened

And only encourage you even the more to support this endeavor

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

@fizzy wiglet:

The AAWA Facebook group has it's settings set to SECRET. That means that even if you were added to the group without a formal invitation it ONLY shows up in the news feed for YOU and other MEMBERS of that SECRET group. It does NOT show up in your friends newsfeeds unless they are members too.

It's fine if you are displeased that you were added without a personal invitation but the following statement is FALSE: "They outed some people already to their friends/family by adding them to AAWA - it shows up on your timeline as if you had joined."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit