Do WT Bible NWT pick and choose word meanings to suit their agenda?

by *lost* 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• *lost*
    *lost*

Can anyone offer thoughts on this. Any examples.

I just discovered this.

NWT v KJB Isaaiah 14;12

KJV - Uses LUCIFER

NWT - uses shining one.

I was told '' Satan the devil is not called lucifer, he is not lucifer, he doesnt have a name. He is a fellen angel.'' had I been told correctly or learned lucifer was in there, I would of done a lot of question asking and further research on it.

i hate that we were always steered away from looking for info outside wt publications. I feel robbed.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Lost,

It's a big world out there with lots of stuff to learn and better understand. The Governing Body doesn't want people to do research outside of their publications because everything the Governing Body teaches is based on one big delusion after another. They want people to be ignorant because it helps keep them locked into their control based on wacked out bible interpetation.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I haven't looked into "Lucifer", but the answer is Yes. Especially when it comes to downplaying the Diety of Christ.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The NWT translates almost verbatim from the Hebrew. The times to be suspicious are when you see words in [brackets]. Those are added for a variety of reasons, most notably, these two: (a) to provide clarity, (b) to support their interpretation of the verse. The latter is called eisegesis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisegesis

As for your question, NWT is not alone in this translation. See this:

http://bible.cc/isaiah/14-12.htm

You may want to click on the "Hebrew" tab, and look up the Strong's word.

• Blind_Of_Lies
    Blind_Of_Lies

I may be way off scope here but I always thought it was funny that they banned celebrating birthdays because two people died… obviously the problem here was that the EVIL bloodthirsty king was celebrating a birthday and not the fact that he was an evil bloodthirsty person… The bible mentions it twice and both times someone died. Had I read that as a normal thinking person I would have assumed that the problem was the fact that they had a murderous king with absolute power who had someone murdered… not the day the murder took place.

If you follow that line of thinking then prayer should be forbidden as well. How many times in the bible did someone talking to god or god talking to someone result in death and destruction? Every time god showed up thousands of Israelites died not to mention the mass genocides they led based on gods direction… Two deaths at a birthday and 3,000 years later we can’t have cake… millions slaughtered at gods direction and we are encouraged to have a personal relationship with him.

Logical.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I read a tome on Satan a few years ago. )People tell me that Jews view Satan as a powerful advocate for humans. He asks God moral questions. If one goes with what 99% of self described Christians believe, there is little to fear. Satan is created and, therefore, no problem for God. I think we read a lot of different strands of thought concerning Satan in the Bible.

Other religions believe in demonic possession. Unlike the Witnesses, though, they are repeatedly told to have no fear because God gave them the power to rebuke demons in Jesus' name. So much of the WT view reads as though God and Satan are equal contenders. Jesus could get no lower in power. Witnesses are the only true Christians yet we do not bear Christ's name but Jehovahs.

I believe the book is called Satan and runs about 1,000 pages. The basic theme if how pictorial depictions of Satan change as society undergoes change. There were few depictions in early Christian art and the modern trend is markedly proSatan.

Satan transforms from Jewish thought to Christianity. There must be a reason.

C.S. Lewis, Screwtape Letters is my favorite book about Satan and demons.

• sir82
    sir82

Yes.

But keep in mind that every other Bible translation has the same fault.

ALL of them.

There are many instances where the wording is extremely vague and it simply isn't possible to know what exactly the 1st century, or 4th century BC, or whatever, writer had in mind.

Add that to the fact that existing manuscripts are copies of copies of copies.........of copies of copies, with the missing intermediate copies most likely done by amateurs.

I.e., who knows what the original writer in the original manuscript even wrote, let alone meant to write.

So of course all translations are biased toward the translator's own ideas - even subtly or subliminally.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Spot on sir82 !

Of course that does not at all excuse the NWT producers (they cannot be called translators, no one on the Committee had the skills) for their shameless and blatant twisting of meanings to suit their theology and teachings.

The examples of this are legion, and inexcusable, if one is at least trying to produce an honest version of the Bible.

They were not.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Yeah they do!

My favorite example to point out is Eph 4:8 Every translation reads he gave gifts TO the men but for some reason (guess) the NWT reads he gave GIFTS IN MEN?!? Even the WT kingdon interlinear translates it gifts to the men!

Of course we know they use this scriture to advance their 'divine' appointment or role ;-)

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Yes, it's called "loading the language." A common tool used by cults.

They also like to change the meanings of word when that particular word describes them in an unflattering way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit