Memorial trauma-morial!

by Julia Orwell 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Haven't been to the kh in a couple of weeks but went to the memorial along with hubby because I'm still in the early stages of my fade.

The speaker gave a really nice talk which was divided into 4 parts: why we need ransom, how it benefits us, who should partake and how to keep benefiting. I was ok with the first 2 parts cuz he backed up with scriptures. Then the part about who should partake departed from scripture and went into this convoluted thing about how although Jesus died for us, we're not to partake because Jesus didn't make a covenant with us so we don't partake. Then he spoke about the emblems and told us that we're welcome to partake yet none of us should...very confusing.

The trauma came when they presented the body and blood of my Lord and Saviour yet I couldn't partake- I was put in a position where I was presented with the blood and body of my lord and was expected to reject them! It tore me up inside so badly I ran into the back room and bawled my eyes out rather than reject my Lord.

The whole thing was so contradictory and you can have it yet you can't, Jesus died for you but not for you...it broke my heart.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Goes to show how sick it is, that they guilt everyone about this simple matter, so that even if you wanted to partake, you're having to actually overcome fear of men to do it! If it really is a personal decision between a person and God, why do it this way? Oh, right. Everything's a personal decision, but they want to make sure they've told you what your decision should be and made you feel horrible if you want to make a different decision.

Sorry to hear that it upset you so. I'm still debating whether I'll make arrangements at home to partake. I'd rather not make a big issue out of it, though, especially because I just don't want to get into it with my wife. I don't really care whether I go to heaven or not, I just think partaking is something all Christians should do, whether it's once a year or once a week. Or once in a lifetime, even. Of course, I'm not really a Christian, per se, I'm not really anything but a bloody doormat, so...

Anyway, it does sadden me to hear that something that should be a joyful, spiritually uplifting occasion made you cry. I hope you'll find peace and the freedom to partake in private if you yearn to do so.

--sd-7

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Sorry it upset you, Julia!

The "emblems" are just that - they are not the body and blood of Jesus, and they don't need to represent that to you. Since you are "awake" in effect you were there as an observer, not a participant. You haven't rejected anything.

Retro

• tiki
    tiki

Julia - please chill.....that religion is not the be-all end-all...............there is life beyond......................

• raymond frantz
    raymond frantz

being there in full knowledge what it means NOT to partake is actually DENYING JESUS.

Next time do us all a favor ,stand up for Jesus ,partake!!!

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Don't feel bad. You're not rejecting Jesus. It is their party, their rules, they aren't following Jesus, they are following a false Christ, what you let pass was all based on falsehood.

• ssn587
    ssn587

It should be termed the reject of the body and blood of jesus memorial

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I took Communion once at the church my father used to attend, and despite being an atheist, it was an experience that meant more to me than I thought it would. The Memorial (Eucharist, Communion etc.) is just a ritual, and has a different meaning for every religion. The Witness ceremony seems completely meaningless to me, and I have no idea why so many people feel the need to attend. But it is awful not to have the freedom to worship as you wish, if that is what you want to do.

• Inisc
    Inisc

Sorry it upset you

But since the emblems are symbolic, the watchtowers emblems don't mean anything if you don't believe they are observing Passover correctly.

Have some wine and flatbread at home afterwards.

Hubby needn't know the reason why, you might jus need a drink and are feeling snack ish.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Don't worry too much, Christ understands. You can get up a 2:00 am and celebrate if you want. Or wait until next week. YOU DID NOT DENY CHRIST!! IMO you refused to participate in a flawed ceremony. Partaking is not a magic pill. You have Christs support already, and he is in you. That is why you want to partake. Cornelius received the Holy Spirit as a gentile before baptism! You already have the Holy Spirit helping you! Partaking is just a symbol of your faith. You can partake anytime of year. Jw's are way off. They are missing the whole point.

peace be with you,

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit