Flipping out at the meeting

by BU2B 39 Replies latest jw friends

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I know the feeling, it usually starts during the opening prayer and lingers untill the final amen. I only occasionly attend meetings now as they are not good for my sanity. Kinda sad because I have family and friends there who I love, but going to meetings is like eating rotten food. During the final talk at the last CA I had to leave, I had well and truly had enough.

• OneDayillBeFree
    OneDayillBeFree

Well I just recently walked out of the Sunday meeting a couple weeks ago. I couldn't take the watchtower study on shunning so I got up and left. I felt anger and sadness for everyone in there who was blindly taking everything from that article in.

I remember I was sitting near the back, and the watchtower conductor asked the question, "now brothers just to have this clear in our minds, is it okay to pray for those who have been disfellowshipped in hopes of them coming back?"

One brother who was sitting to the left of me who had been publicly reproved in the past raised his had and said that, yes it was okay because Jehovah was forgiving and wanted every one to come back.

The elders face turned from a sly smile to a serious, puzzled look af disapproval. Then a sister who's been a regular pioneer and über dub since she was 14 gave the comment, "no it is not okay to pray for dfed ones." The elder again got a slight smile. The reaction of the brother next to me and others in the hall was oh awe and shock!

I couldn't believe it and I know that he couldn't either. On the opposite side of the hall a couple who had been disfellowshipped many years ago also had shocked, worried faces as did the family who's daughter had been dfed about a year ago.

Then when they got to the questions about children leaving Jehovah and the need to shun them that was it for me. I got up and just left.

I have a feeling others wanted to do the same.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just after the final prayer I had a quick look at the latest bit of literatrash from the WT, which happened to contain a blatant demand that the GB should control your thinking, very loudly I said "Look at this, NOBODY does my thinking for me !"

I was told to hush by those around me, I said, just as loud, "No, I do my own thinking!" and stomped off.

A few weeks later I left forever, I think that was actually what you might call the final straw, all my life the load of Cognitive Dissonance had been getting heavier and heavier, that outburst showed it had just got too much.

Isn't it indicative of the climate of fear in the average Kingdom Hall that I was told to "Shush!" ?

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Well,I never flipped out at the meeting,but I did have anxiety and panic attacks and had to leave because of them.

Before,I even mentally woke-up,I would get so nervous and be full of anxiety. I would spend most of the meetings in the back with a couple other sisters with the same issues. Someone would always be crying back there.

I would also stand in the foyer,until they gave a local needs about staying in the main auditorium. I was really upset about the lack of feeling of that part,and treating us like little kids. So,that is when I started my fade. I figured that the only way I could attend the meetings was if I could be in the back. If I wasn't allowed to be in the back,then I wouldn't even go. They did me a favor really.

It's been about three years now,and people are just noticing I'm gone,lol.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Hubby and I were talking about our old cong. last night after he posted that about the creep. Come to think of it, we had a very high drama cong. There was always something going on. We have another experience about a young brother that Hubby will put in his post on the weekend.

This one, wasn't really anyone 'Flipping out' I know the poster is wanting to know of anyone losing it and walking out.

There was an older brother in his 70's that walked with a cane. He had a grand-daughter and great-grandaughter [Megan] that lived with them since she was a single mom. But every meeting they would bribe Megan to be good and quiet and we'll take you to Mc Donalds. The entire family was very large and could barely fit into their seats. Megan was only about 6 or 7 but well over 100 lbs, maybe even closer to 200. She was as wide as tall. But one Thurs night she was walking around in their row, being very restless and saying "I want french fry!" The g-pa always laid his cane on the floor in front of him. Just wait, don't get ahead of me now, but you can see where this is going, can't you?

Yep she was walking around and stepped on his cane, we heard a large 'SNAP' she fell when it broke and knocked a couple of chairs over. The g'pa yelled Gxxdammit Megan! loud enough for the entire hall to hear.

Our family started laughing along with several others in the KH. No one expected that from this older brother.

• Londo111
    Londo111

Apognophos: Yep...that was the application the "brother" giving the Bible highlights made.

It's so nice to be free of that hate speech.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

I got up in the middle of a Sunday Talk when the elder giving the talk mentioned that satellites in orbit are a part of the signs in the heavens... that was my last meeting.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Thumbs up to the Hawk family! Remind me not to piss you guys off.

It's a shame there aren't more flip outs at the meeting or at least express one self by getting up and leaving.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's hard to flip out properly without a table you can flip before storming out. Even a little one in front of your seat would be helpful. Otherwise, for all anyone knows, you just have a case of the runs.

• clarity
    clarity

It would make quite a statement if 4 enlightend buddies,

pre arranged to start shouting about all the bs at the same time!

One person stationed in each corner of the hall & marching out

together, ..... might make 'the fence sitters' think!

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit