The Bible---Have You Watched It On The History Channel?

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Where's the "Like" button to click on what E.P. said above?

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I like it. Yes, they changed some specific details to keep the story moving. They couldn't include every single detail and every single story. But it does great in helping to picture the scenes. And it does show what a brutal time it was. Modern western culture doesn't like to think of how brutal it was back then, and the Israelites warring with other nations. I disagree that the acting is bad. I thinks its quite good. And I like the casting. Except for Samson...Outlaw was right. He had boobs and looked more overweight than strong.

It's gritty and violent, like the Bible describes. I'm really looking forward to the parts on Jesus, of course... :-)

• tec
    tec

That's rich, seeing as how that's exactly what everyone who interprets the Bible does, you included.

First, they were supposed to be keeping to what is written, right? Is that not what they said? That it would be an accurate portrayal? There are no samurai angels in the bible. That scene in Sodom never happened. Abraham did not fall back afraid at things God asked of Him.

I don't add my own spin. If I try to do that, it feels just as wrong to me as when others add their own spin. I wait to hear the truth, and then listen to Him. And if I don't know, then I am not afraid to say that either.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

First, they were supposed to be keeping to what is written, right?

Right? Why ask me. If that is your assertion, you should show me that they said that and we can move on to the rest of your discussion.

I don't add my own spin.

• tec
    tec

Well of course you are not going to believe me, EP. Kind of hypocritical for you to be going around calling people liars just because it is your opinion that they lie, considering some past exchanges that we have had.

Right? Why ask me. If that is your assertion, you should show me that they said that and we can move on to the rest of your discussion.

I thought I heard that in one of the advertisements. But I asked... right?... because I could be mistaken. This is a couple things on page one of google. Could just have been hype.

Throughout the project Burnett and wife Roma Downey (Touched by an Angel) consulted with a team of 40 biblical scholars, theologians and other experts to check for script accuracy

http://www.americanbible.org/the-bible-miniseries

"We have run into people that have thought, believe it or not, that Joan of Arc was Noah's wife, or that Sodom and Gomorrah lived happily ever after," Downey said. "And [we] thought, if nothing else, just to set the record straight."

http://gma.yahoo.com/hollywood-couple-created-bible-mini-series-set-record-033307696.html

I do think that they succeeded with their special effects though. The parting of the red sea was pretty cool special effects.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Throughout the project Burnett and wife Roma Downey (Touched by an Angel) consulted with a team of 40 biblical scholars, theologians and other experts to check for script accuracy

Where does that say they were going to keep to what was written?

• tec
    tec

Well... samurai angels are not accurate, lol. Nor even implied ;)

Have you seen the program, EP?

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Well... samurai angels are not accurate, lol. Nor even implied ;)

Not accurate? Hmmm....the source text doesn't say AT ALL what the angel looked like. Seems like, in the absence of a description, you are putting YOUR spin on what you think it says.

• tec
    tec

I was not talking about what the angels looked like.

An angel did not come down and 'samurai' through the men of Sodom to help Lot escape, as the show depicts.

So I am going to assume that you have not seen the program, if you did not know that.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I was not talking about what the angels looked like.

Then you should be more clear in what you mean.

An angel did not come down and 'samurai' through the men of Sodom to help Lot escape, as the show depicts.

So I am going to assume that you have not seen the program, if you did not know that.

You are making an assumption about what I know because you weren't clear in what you were referring to? Interesting. It's almost like you are adding your own spin to things....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit