I Didn't See That Coming

by Wholly 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Wholly
    Wholly

I was raised on Air Force bases in the US and Asia until I was 10 or 11. My mother divorced my father while he was on an unaccompanied tour in Turkey and hooked up with my uncle. She married him and his children became our step-brothers and sisters. I saw my father once when he got back to the states and not again until almost 30 years later.

After two years, my uncle put his children in an orphanage and my mother dispersed her children to the four winds so she could be free to be with my uncle without all the problems eight children who hated each other brought.

My story begins in 1977 in an old farm house in Corinth, Kentucky, without running water or heat, just electricity for lights and cooking. I was 16, living with my 22 year old boyfriend who worked for the owner of a dairy farm, milking dairy cows twice a day, 7 days a week for $90 a month plus the house on top of the hill. We had no television, radio or telephone. We did have an old beater car but no money to do anything except buy food once a month. We lived on potatoes and onions and whatever I could make with flour and water and salt.

One day a stranger knocked on the door and offered me The Truth That Leads to Everlasting Life. I took it and read cover to cover in a few hours. I had no Bible to look up scriptures so I took everything written in the book as absolute truth. I had never been to church in my life nor any training with the Bible, nor knowledge of God other than what I felt in my own heart. It shook me up and amazed me.

One day while visiting my mother in another town I mentioned the visit and what I had read in the book. She told me to stay away from those people. When I asked why she said she heard they were crazy people who believed nonsense. So, I took her advice and never went any further with it, even though I was traumatized at what I had learned and started thinking about being killed by God because I was not able to be good enough for him.

I lived in perpetual torment at the hands of my boyfriend who dealt drugs and abused them extensively. His abuse toward me was severe but I had no where else to go so I just decided to make the most of my life and try not to make him angry, which was futile. Finally, I turned 19 and was working as a grill cook so I would have food to eat due to all the money we ever had was wasted on drugs for him. I did not take them because I saw what it was like for everyone else who did.

I endured the last beating I would ever tolerate from him one afternoon when I got home from work and did not bring him something to eat. He threw me down the stairs and I never went back. I left with the clothes on my back and walked 16 miles to my mother and step-uncle-father's house. They would not let me live with them because they had begun studying with JW's a couple of years before and felt that I should "lie in the bed I made for myself." But my step loaned me money to rent a room by the week. I found a job waiting tables and paid him back.

They (the parent figures) wanted me to study the Bible with them to straighten out my life. So, I did. Then they wanted me to date JW's and set me up with some brothers. I was in no condition to date anyone, having been traumatized by my first boyfriend for six years. Nevertheless, they pressured me to accept their advice. In a short amount of time I was indeed married off to a friend of theirs who was also studying but was in an alcohol rehab program. He got a pass to get married but had to be back before 11. We slept together once and I got pregnant.

I realized immediately after finding out I was pregnant that I could not live with this person who I didn't even know and who lived in an alcohol rehab facility. My mother was no help and did not understand why I bolted from that arrangement. I got a divorce after my baby was born.

Since I lived with my mother during the pregnancy and she was the first person to see my daughter when she was born, and since she helped me with my baby from infancy, I think my mother felt more like my daughter's mother than her grandmother. Realizing this, I got on welfare and moved out. Mom got baptized soon after.

From that moment onward, my mother made it her life's mission to save the everlasting life of my daughter, since I was clearly not going to do it.

At some point I will detail the ordeal she put my daughter and I through for thirteen years.

Suffice to say, because of the involvement of the Sun Valley Congregation in Alexandria Kentucky, backing my mother's evil attempts to blackmail me, sue me in court and defame my character to my daughter, she and I were seperated for almost eight years due to no fault of my own. I was falsely accused of many things, taken to court repeatedly (winning every suit brought against me), arrested on false charges so that they could get emergency custody of my child and more.

Finally, in 1996 after legally proving that I am a fit mother and able to raise my children properly, they came up with a new plan. They told my daughter to say her step father molested her. That was the end of the road. My entire life was destroyed. I lost my children, my family, my job, my marriage, my home and all of my possessions. The only thing left was my mind and my integrity. I clawed my way back up from the bottom without help from anyone, suffering yet determined not to break.

I can't express the diabolical evil I and my daughter endured at the hands of the do-gooder JW's and their twisted minds and reasoning. Some day I will write a book and it will shock most people when they learn the full details of this ordeal that has resulted in my child, who is 30 this year, becoming a pile of mental mush.

Nevertheless, I thought I was called back to the JW's by God himself and began to study again seven weeks ago. Yes, I was shocked but ready to let Jehovah help me learn about him and his purpose. I could have been wrong all those years. I didn't know and needed to find out. I had my first study using the Bible Teach book and began attending meetings immediately. Everyone was impressed with my intelligence and abilities and proclaimed that I would be an excellent teacher and could reach people who have been through similar things in their lives.

Then I discovered the UN/DPI/NGO issue, the new "Faithful and Discrete Slave" issue, the absense of admonition to "prove everything to myself" being replaced with "Put Your Trust in the Organization".

So, here I am. Wholly committed to my love of my creator and his son and determined to help others who have experienced traumatic, evil influences from the cult who prey on mentally fragile individuals, including my little sister and her son who are baptized witnesses.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Wow. Hang in there. I hope you find some happiness and peace. Be brave and keep fighting.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

A sad and tragic story! Some people can act really evil.

I hope your daughter is all right now and that she has a good life.

You have to take care.....and use your brain. Your brain is more trustworthy than the organisation.

It is a bit strange that "Big Daddy in Sky" can't find better PR-peoble than those religious organisations.

• tornapart
    tornapart

Wholly, I really hope you can find a way to keep yourself out. You've found an incredible strength inside yourself to keep going. I hope you find a way to stay strong. Loving God doesn't mean we have to love a religious man made organisation.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

WELCOME!

Very sad and heart-wrenching story! We are so glad you are here with us. 49 yrs in that cult myself and so I understand how damaging and vindictive they can be.

Our family hopes and prays that you will now find peace and even tho your daughter is an adult we hope that you will get your kids back to you mentally.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Wow, thank you for sharing such a heartfelt account of your life. I applaud your desire to help others, keep learning for yourself also, don't just believe everything you're told, prove it to yourself.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Welcome! You seem like a strong person for all that you had to endure.

I'm sorry you had to have such a mother,and I use that term loosely. She and your uncle were very selfish in just turning their backs on their children like that,it seems becoming Witnesses didn't change them at all.

I don't have children of my own,and probably never will,but can't figure out people who treat their kids like that. I wouldn't even dream of treating my pets like that,let alone my children.

But,you are right in examining the religion. There is so much more to learn.

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

You can find comfort here . I have .

• Gayle
    Gayle

wow,,whooly mhooly,, you are of the most resilient of people!! You have endured way so much,,and still come through to identify and evaluate serious issues and to draw a big line of what is lies and manipulation. So many best wishes to you!!

• Wholly
    Wholly

Thank you all for your warm words of love and encouragment. I appreciate the heartfelt kindness!

All of my parents died within 3 years of each other starting in 2006. My daughter is addicted to pain medication and is struggling to keep her 2 children with her. We live in different states so building our relationship has been a challenge but we have come to terms with the past. She loves me but still feels guilty for it because somewhere inside her she keeps hearing the things my mother whispered in her ear about me even though she now knows none of it was true.

I still have a sister and nephew who are dedicated baptized witnesses. I spoke to my sister about the issues I learned of and she is begging me to talk to the elders so I can get past this and serve Jehovah with my whole heart before it's too late.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit