Is God's Name Yahweh or Jehovah?

by Soldier77 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/is-gods-name-yahweh-or-jehovah

Subject title refers to the link that I found in another thread, somewhat buried in text, but I thought it deserved to be highlighted. Take the time to read it if you can and just sit and think about it for a second, think about all of the hate and disgust JW's have for the CC and just let that truth settle in.

Amazing really. Isn't it?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

To think that J Rutherford used a Catholic created and devised name for God .

Thats out right plagiarism.

• jgnat
    jgnat

YHWH - no vowels, so we guess at pronunciation.

"Scripture presents many references to the names for God, but the key names in the Old Testament are: God the High and Exalted One, El-Shaddai and Jehovah. In the New Testament Theos, Kurios and Pateras (πατ?ρας i.e. Father in Greek) are the essential names."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_God_in_Christianity

As an aside, how is El-Shaddai translated in the NWT?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

In all fairness, a Catholic might have first written the name that way, but Catholics today don't use Yahweh or Jehovah or any other name for God. So the Witnesses can accurately claim that Catholics have covered up the name.

jgnat: They generally render "El Shaddai" as "God Almighty": http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200000201?q=almighty&p=par

• Glander
    Glander

In the original Hebrew - F-Y-N-G-S-M

Now pronounced as.........

• Satanus
    Satanus

Apog

Since the cc invented jehovah, is it not theirs to w as they please, to use or not use? And anyway, since its a human invention, it is not sacred or inspired or divine, in any way. So, what's to cover up. Its merely a piece of archaic catholic trash, really, better left in the dusty dungeon of some abbey. What gives rutherford and his cultic followers the right to root through a catholic abbey and trumpet about some bit of archane gibberish they found? Perhaps, the catholic powers knew it for what it was, and rightly filed it under g. No coverup.

S

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I remeber my mom once saying that even Catholic priests know that God's name is Jehovah because they use it sometimes.

I said to her, of course they know, they invented that name and I proceeded to show her HOW it came to be, inculding from the JW book, "the name that will endure' where it states that Yahweh is probably more correct but that Jehovah is used because it is more popular.

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

My deep biblical research has led me to finally uncover god's actual name.

You all will be very surprised to learn that it's neither Jehoovah or Yahweh.

God's real name is Wayne. Wayne Trevor God, to reveal his full name.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

You mean the flying spagetti monster is named Wayne?

• sir82
    sir82

I thought his name was Harold?

"Our Father who art in heaven, Harold be thy name....."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit