Tim Tebow to address Anti-Gay Anti-Semetic Mega Church

by designs 110 Replies latest social current

• tec
    tec

Once again, Still, the quote below is what I referred to as bias and prejudice.

Comments labelling people of faith/religion being ignorant, superstitious, arrogant, afraid, deluded, etc... that they should not hold certain positions in science or law... this is what I am speaking of, and I have seen this.

And yes, your comments are off regarding Islam. Of course what you state does happen... but it does not happen with all sects of Islam. So you cannot umbrella it. Certainly you can hate the belief/practice/whatever... and not hate the person. So it is not hard for a person of faith, Cofty, to understand that. Not even remotely hard to understand. But again, my point is that some have and build prejudice against all people of faith, regardless of what their faith compels them to do, simply on the basis of the fact that they have faith to begin with.

I have yet to see it. And I didn't say they 'bowed to a leader', those are YOUR words. I said, they always refer to someone who claims to have authority of some sort. Authority being....Special insight, knowledge, connection to the spirit realm or messages or understanding of their god and what he wants.

It is just an expression. I know people whose authority is Christ and God, and no one else, who share their faith with one another, but are not led by one another... and then there are also some who simply keep their faith quietly to themselves. So I will have to disagree with you on this, based on my knowledge and experience.

Not saying it does not ever happen. Of course it does. But there are many with whom it does not happen as well. If I can see that things are not the same with all theists, or all atheists, why can't you?

There are also plenty of people who do not lump all atheists in one group, or all theists in one group. They take a person for their individuality. Because making a blanket judgment of a person solely upon the basis of them having faith or not is prejudice, and does lead to discrimination.

Peace,

tammy

• designs
    designs

Tammy- When a person who becomes a JW does it tie them to the history of the Watchtower.

• tec
    tec

There was murder, persecuting and assauling before any of that was ever led by a christian group or religion (which happened when the religion got into bed with the kingdom - politics/nationalism). Christians themselves were murdered, persecuted and assaulted, before 'they' did anything in return. So I think it is safe to say that murder, persecution and assault would have continued with or without them. It just wouldn't have been done in the "name of Christ and God". (though often at least in the case of wars and such, it was also in the name of King, County...)

Should we speak out against intolerance and prejudice that we see/hear today, though? I think so, in all of its forms. Even though sometimes the only thing way that we can speak is by doing.

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Tammy- When a person who becomes a JW does it tie them to the history of the Watchtower.

Which history of the WTS?

It depends upon if they know the history, and once knowing that history, if they choose to remain or to leave.

The religion is not separate from its history though. Nor is the religion of Christianity seperate from its history. But the history of Christianity is quite separate from Christ (as one can see based upon what has been done by christianity in the 'name of christ')

Some choose to follow Christ, rather than various forms of christianity.

Peace,

tammy

• designs
    designs

Tammy- If the Watchtower leaders were to start giving really good motivational speeches would it make the JW religion a good choice to join.

This is the sad consequence of Tim giving really good motivational speeches at Churches, some young mind will be seduced and taken in by his religious beliefs.

• tec
    tec

Tammy- If the Watchtower leaders were to start giving really good motivational speeches would it make the JW religion a good choice to join.

Of course not; not on that basis alone. But the same holds true for any walk of life. If a person cannot see past the motivational speaker, and the charisma of that speaker, to the words underneath... then what can you do? You can speak against it; maybe get a great motivational speaker who states the opposite. Bottom line though, people have to think for themselves, and that includes youth. Which they do tend to do at some point or another. Too much information and easy access to that information these days.

Peace,

tammy

• Gopher
    Gopher

Most conservative religious groups are not DIRECTLY involved in violence or discrimination against people who they've attempted to marginalize in the past, such as people of "other" religions, gays, blacks, women, atheists, etc. , etc. But people who DO violence against them have used some ideas preached or suggested in some of these churches as moral justification for their acts. The inferiority of blacks and "other" religions was preached in many conservative churches, and respectable business leaders in the south joined the Ku Klux Klan which visited terror on minorities.

The fear and hatred visited upon groups and individuals that powerful churches haven't liked over the centuries is mind-boggling and scary. I'm not saying ALL churches do this, as some do preach mercy, love and inclusiveness. But that last sentence doesn't even come close to describing the kind of church that is welcoming Tim Tebow to bring itself attention.

• designs
    designs

Gopher- that is the point, Tim is going to be held in association with this Church and its pastor. You would think someone on his managment team would have told him to speak at a more neutral site.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Designs: My personal opinion, based on Tim's activism in the past, is that he is perfectly fine speaking at a place like this, which he believes uphold Christian values similar to his own. In other words, it may sound callous - but I think Tim and this church deserve each other.

• tec
    tec

Yes, either he does not care what they teach and so hasn't looked into it (or you, Designs, are wrong on what they teach - not saying you are, I just don't keep track of all the various churches/teachers down there or even up here); or he believes what they teach and so has no problem speaking to them; or he is going there to speak in the hopes that something he says will change their focus from the more anti-rhetoric, to focus on the love and mercy of Christ and God. Who knows until after he makes his speech?

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit