Tim Tebow to address Anti-Gay Anti-Semetic Mega Church

by designs 110 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

Quarterback Tim Tebow is scheduled to address the 11,000 member First Baptist Dallas congregation April 28th. First Baptist Dallas and its outspoken pastor Robert Jeffries in recent times have called Islam and Mormonism coming from the 'pits of hell' and you can't be 'saved being a Jew', although he clarified that being a Jew is not the same type of hereticalness as being a Mormon.....huh?. Pastor Jeffries called the election of Obama 'the rise of the Anti-Christ'. Citing also that the 'gay population' is 70% infected with the AIDS virus and of course that gays should not be allowed in the military.

Tim Tebow is a much sought after speaker. Last year he spoke to the 30,000 worshippers at a Easter Service in Texas.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Could you put Quarterback in quote marks, please?

He's more of a "personality" than an actual football player now. He's out to promote the brand known as Tim Tebow. And of course he'll go to the places that accept him the most, which happen to be large religious groups that spew hate and intolerance. If Tim Tebow thought he could gain influence and popularity by addressing the Westboro Baptist Church he'd do it.

• glenster
    glenster

I'm not up on all the latest in sports, celebrities, and Tim Tebow. Is he more
    conservative or liberal? I know he was also on SNL, which is liberal.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Come on guys let's not feel the need to label everything liberal/conservative. First Baptist is a Baptist church and they believe what they believe according to their doctrine. They don't beat up gays or muslims. They don't fire bomb abortion clinics. They have every right to believe what they believe and preach what they want to preach.

We have every opportunity to ignore, rebut, or agree. I hate it when people put so much energy into other people's beliefs. There are enough people actually doing screwed up stuff. Save your energy for them.

• still thinking
    still thinking

First Baptist is a Baptist church and they believe what they believe according to their doctrine. They don't beat up gays or muslims. They don't fire bomb abortion clinics. They have every right to believe what they believe and preach what they want to preach.

Lets just replace the word "baptist" with WTS...do you still have the same tolerance for what they preach? Or do you see it as harmful..and that it does effect peoples lives in a negative way?

Why do people believe tolerance of ignorant, hate filled beliefs should apply to other religions, but not the WTS?

JW's don't beat up gays or muslims, they don't fire bomb abortion clinics, therefore, they have EVERY right to believe what they believe. Gees guys. don't be so intolerant...

• glenster
    glenster

"let's not feel the need to label everything liberal/conservative"

Abrahmic religions can be orthodox, conservative, liberal, progressive, re-
    form, even humanist, and may have conservative or liberal stances on certain
    issues, such as homosexuality and ecumenicism/tolerance of others (Jews, etc.).
    The bigger tension in Christianity today isn't denominational but liberal or
    conservative. Jeffries sounds conservative. I don't know what Tebow is on
    those issues.

• glenster
    glenster

(sorry for double post accident)

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Yes, I have the same tolerance for the WTBS beliefs. I will say their wrong, but unless they start stoning apostates they have a right to meet, believe, and preach what ever they want.

Everyone has the right to believe what they want to... no man has a right to tell someone else what to believe or say. Obviously we draw a line at actions to protect the rights of others.

In the U.S. we have a constitution protecting people's right to freedom, speech, and religion. There is no amendment protecting my feelings which is what is the real case going on here.

Would the world be a better place if people didn't believe this kind of crud, sure. But, that wouldn't be a free society now would it? Which one do you want? Freedom or Freedom from hurt feelings?

So back to OP the fact that Tim Tebow is speaking at First Baptist is not news. That is like saying Michael Moore is speaking at UAW rally. Now if Michael Moore was speaking at FBC tommorrow and Tebow was speaking at UAW rally, that might provoke thought and worthwhile conversation.

• still thinking
    still thinking

So you are tolerant of shunning? Good to hear. Don't ever complain about it then...since it's their right to teach their followers to do this. And do the ones being shunned have the right not to be shunned? Who's rights take precedence here?

I agree people have the right to believe and say what they like. The problem comes when what is being said and preached affects peoples lives. And that is what happens with religious belief. One way or another it effects other peoples lives, not just their own. By creating prejudice against other people who do not believe as they do. Or bigotry against people because of their self righteous ignorance.

• tec
    tec

That happens with far more than just religious beliefs, Still. Political, national, heirarchal, racial, etc, etc. Even some atheists have and/or create prejudice against people of religion/faith.

I do agree that people should speak against that which is causing harm. Better yet, that people would lead by example and DO better than the people they are speaking against though.

Designs, when I first read the thread, I thought you meant Tim Tebow was speaking AGAINST those things ;)

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit