Has leaving the truth( i hate that word) caused you to do things now that you would not have normally done ?

by sieborg 28 Replies latest jw friends

• sieborg
    sieborg

Although we all know that there are many disadvantages of being brought up ( vomit sound) in the truth. But would you say that leaving has maybe caused you to do some things that you would not have normally have done in life ? For me personally now i have lots of free time ( mine all mine, evil laugh) i have almost finished my first novel. I would never be able to say for sure but i would proberbly not have written it if i had never been a witness.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

It caused me to use my brain...really, I'm not being sarcastic there...

Congrats on the novel! Thats a hell of a lot of work. Are you going to publish it on Amazon/Kindle?

• sieborg
    sieborg

not sure if i am going to publish it yet. when i have polished it ( ooer mrs) i am going to give it to a couple of brutally honest worldly friends i know at work. If they tell me that it doesn't suck big time, then i will publish it on Amazon/ kindle.

• flipper
    flipper

SIEBORG- Very good thread to help people to see what they can accomplish after exiting the Witnesses. A couple things I've experienced in a positive way ( among many positive things ) after exiting the Witnesses 9 years ago. I met my lovely wife on E-Harmony .com and married her in 2006 - something I never would have done as a JW ( look for a marriage partner online ) LOL ! And also about a year and 3 months ago I started playing guitar and singing and writing songs which has been a really healing, soothing process in my life after exiting the Witnesses. I never took the time or had the time to pursue playing music as a JW and now I'm making up for lost time ! I've performed at 3 open mikes now and I'm looking forward to progressing and learning as much as I can in this field of music. Something I always wanted to do, but never did as a JW. Life is great ! Peace out, mr. Flipper

• Roberta804
    Roberta804

Whoa let me count....

raised my sons differently, I finished my GED and went to the university got my masters in social work, held a job for 10 years that fit my qualifications (and it wasn't cleaning houses), I learned to trust my myself and others, found interest in everyday life, not sometime in the future....I could spend all day listing

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

It's not the truth, sieborg, so you don't have to call it that. Old habits die hard, don't they? You could perhaps just call it the WT.

• Pterist
    Pterist

I was not brought up as a JW, but I did learn many good things that set me free from RCC. One main thing I learned as a JW was a deep respect for God's Word. When I left, I was free to see my non JW family and friends again as "normal" people as they were not Satan's pawns. Higher education both academically and study of Biblical hermnutetics in conjunction with travel is very rewarding. I do not regret my previous bondage or "current" as I see all life experiences, sins and all, as a process in the crucible of life with a hope of better things.

• AnneB
    AnneB

Yours is a loaded question. "Leaving The Truth" is different than "leaving WT", "leaving Jehovahs's Witnesses", or "leaving an organization". Which one is meant defines how the question is answered...and what readers will take away from the exchange.

"Leaving The Truth" sounds like something the WT would turn into an article, especially if the responses showed any "fall into sin", "worldly pursuits", etc., you know, anything you would not normally have done.

...and that word "normally"...what's "normal", especially in WT society? Did you mean "usually" or maybe "would not have done if you were a faithful JW"?

"Pure Language" and plain English are different. The responses you receive will depend, in large part, on which you use to frame your query. GIGO

• Gopher
    Gopher

No worries, it took me a little while to drop that phrase "the truth". As time goes, the old habits dry up and curl off.

In the meantime if you catch yourself, you can substitute other phrases like "da troof", 'the Lie", "the Borg", "the organization", "the publishing corporation", "the Kingdumb Hell", etc.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Definitely!

It caused me to begin reading, studying, and questioning everything outside of what I was allowed to do. I researched everything I could, on both sides of virtually every issue I could think of. Unlike some, I settled on belief in God and in the Bible (although I DO understand why some reach different conclusions). Which then led me to see the truth of Jesus' deity. This caused me to pray to Him and to worship Him, as the scriptures show this is entirely right. That was an incredible thing. I could now talk to and have a realtionship with someone that I was at one time forbidden from talking to. I could only learn about this guy, but never speak to Him!

It also gave me new freedom.

Leaving did not make me want to go out and have as much sex as I could. I didn't get into drugs (although I did try weed once). I don't drink heavily anymore, like I did as a JW.

I also have a new found love for God which makes me NOT want to do things that I find moraly wrong. Not for fear of any rules and consequences. Now it's merely because God's my friend and I see how obeying Him always leads to good in my life.

I guess I'm not the apostate JWs think of when they use the word. I HAVE heard rumors of my being involved in wife swapping and drug use. But now I just don't care. I hear or read about it, smile, and shake my head. So sad. They don't think anyone could really be happy and free after leaving them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit