Faith with out FEARS is dead....

by Fed-up 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Fed-up
    Fed-up

Isn't that the way the scripture goes? It's more accurate, I think.

One of the comments on one of the threads (sorry, I'd give due credit, but can't find it again) mentions someone finally being able to size up JW's as one would any other religion. Getting to that point is huge for anyone raised as one of JW's (and likely any other faith that makes the point of making itself "the truth" as I suppose most all do). I know it's not a new thought, but personally I'm just beginning to see it:

Religions, or as they are often called "faiths", use fear as a threat (passively, as in Hell), as a tool (contribute, preach, believe, do whatever we tell you) and as a weapon (shunning). And it works so well!

How can any so called Christian religion that teaches hell or practices shunning read 1 John 4:18, 19 and continue to do what they do?

John 4:18, 19: There is no fear in love, but perfect love throws fear outside, because fear exercises a restraint. Indeed, he that is under fear has not been made perfect in love. As for us, we love, because he first loved us.

"Perfect love throws fear outside"... i have no idea what "perfect love" means and only an inkling of what love is anyway, but Fear is not and never should be a part of love. And that whole thing about 'fear of god" being a "healthy fear of displeasing displeasing him" never made ANY sense.

The footnote for "restraint" in verse 18 says "Or, “checking; correction; punishment.” Lit., “lopping off.” Gr., ko′la?sin. Compare Mt 25:46 where the same Gr. word occurs." So, 'fear exercises checking, correction; punishment." And that comparison script from Matt. is the icing on the cake! "Everlasting cutting off" is mentioned. Faith or Fear? Love or Fear?

Without fear there is no power, no control. It's almost like we make the fear more effective...Whatever you're afraid of most is the thing that is most effective on you. If you're scared of Hell, that works. If you're scared of upsetting people the tool thing works and if you're scared of losing your family then disfellowshipping works super well!

If you take away the threats and punitive consequences of not doing as you're told the power evaporates. Like being threatened at gunpoint, only you know for a fact the gun is not loaded. The best part is, IF YOU PERSONALLY UNLOAD THE GUN it's no longer a very effective weapon or tool. Throw the ammo away (Perfect Love throws fear outside) and refuse to re load. No more fear, no more control.

And it seems that there is a Holy Trinity...of Control. Fear, Guilt and Shame. If fear doesn't work, shame 'em. If that doesn't work Guilt.

JW are the absolute perpetual Victims. People who swallow the idea that if armageddon is tomorrow I don't have to worry about fixing my life. And, on top of that, Jesus said I'd be hated, so It's not that I'm an ill adjusted jerk (and probably a virgin) that's not why people don't like me, It's because I follow Jesus. Keep that mentality alive (that you're not the problem, everything and everyone else is (The World)) and control is pretty darn easy.

Religion and spirituality are two completely different things. Happy are those conscious of their SPIRITUAL NEED, not those conscious of their RELIGIOUS NEED. Churches are alot like clubs, or the gym or league sports. Its a place for people to go that gives them something to do that isn't home or work. They meet like minded people and feel good when they do it. The difference is nobody will ever think that missing a bowling tournament probably means you're spiritually weak. Spirituality is just so personal. To have another HUMAN define your spiritual need and how to fill it is like saying "This is what you're hungry for, now we'll feed you." Food at the proper time is when I need it. And the food I need varies based on what I've done prior to eating and what I plan to do later. Food should nourish you and give you energy. So should spirituality. If what you are experiencing in RELIGION is making you feel sad, inadequate, depressed, angry or anything but 'aglow with spirit" then the food is not for you. The way it is prepared and presented is not for you. SOMETHING is missing, SOMETHING is not right. Babies are fed, Grown men and women feed themselves, right?

“People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within.” -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Be lit from within and no one will wonder about your spirituality, it will shine beautifully.

Have the courage to throw the fear away. For those of you with extra courage, share it. That's true encouragement.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Welcome to the newly enlightened! I was raised a JW [49 yrs] and as my post name says I am newly enlightened also. You're right! I just watched an interesting documentary called 'Marks of a cult:Bibical analysis' by Eric Holmberg. JW's were the first cult they discussed. It's funny tho, how each one of the cults ALL say they are the channel thru God and you cannot understand the bible without THEM! BS! I'm reading the bible anew in a different light [without WTS blinders] and I got myself several other translations and I'm seeing things for what they really say.

May God bless you on your journey. [I personally don't use the name Jehovah anymore since it is an invented name by a Catholic monk]

http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/is-gods-name-yahweh-or-jehovah

• jgnat
    jgnat

There are dozens of ways to influence people. Fear is just one of them. People in a state of fear make irrational, rash decisions. They are unpredictable, and might harm people around them in their rush to escape.

Love and lust works too - warm and fuzzies - compelling stories - sense of justice - greed - a noble cause (heroism) - altruism. These are all ways to influence people. It might be argued that some are more ethical.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Peer pressure! Sense of duty. How could I forget them?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can go all the way back to the beginning of Genesis to find this fear. Who was it that needed to issue a death threat to get mankind to comply? Did Satan threaten us with death if we didn't eat that fruit? Or did He threaten to make us miserable if we didn't eat it? I don't think so. Satan didn't need a death threat, or any other kind of threat, to lead us away from joke-hova's tyranny. Remember, it was joke-hova that made the death threat in the first place. And before Satan did anything.

• Black Man
    Black Man

Great thread! Agree with all the sentiments expressed.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Good rundown on the subject, fedup. When i was jw, growing up, used to get a hard time from nonjws. Later on, it toned down. However, as a jw, you always see nonjws as OTHER, or THEM (vss US). Since leaving the dubs, i have needed to blend in or be accepted, generally. I have not found many 'wicked' 'worldly' people of the type that used to razz me when i was a young jw. I ask myself, where did they go? I tend to think that they were never there, to start w. It was i, as a young brainwashed jw that caused them, or provoked them to try to get me to be reasonable, more relaxed about things. Guess that understanding that has allowed me to overcome another fear. I already lost those other fears that you listed.

S

• Giordano
    Giordano

As Jgnat pointed out there are other ways to get people dependent on their religion:

"Here, as elsewhere, the technique of a mass movement aims to infect people with a malady and then offer the movement as a cure.

Mass movements are usually accused of doping their followers with hope of the future while cheating them of the enjoyment of the present."

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

You are right. Fear is the WT tool, it kills!

Fear without Faith kills! Jesus takes away my fear and shame. Ditch fear and the WT!

Psa 32:1

How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, Whose sin is covered!

Rom 4:7 "BLESSED ARE THOSE WHOSE LAWLESS DEEDS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN, AND WHOSE SINS HAVE BEEN COVERED.

Rom 4:8

"BLESSED IS THE MAN WHOSE SIN THE LORD WILL NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT."

• Gopher
    Gopher

Sin and transgression are also religious constructs [even outside the world of the Watchtower] with a relationship to fear - in that if we don't somehow take care of what a religion describes as sin and transgression, in the manner prescribed by said religion, we are doomed for eternity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit