A JW got checked in my congo

by XPeterX 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

The announcement was something like "[Name] got checked".Well if he ain't got df'ed then what does this mean?Is it based on the Bible?Where does this policy come from?How is the rest of the congregation supposed to behave to that person in a situation like this?What happened in the background anyway?Is he checked for a period of time or what?Any restrictions?

• wezz
    wezz

They would typically mark someone for doing something that is not as bad as a DF offence, but still wrong in their eyes, like dating a non believer. Basically it is to warn others that the now marked person is a bad influence and only limited association is allowed. Didn’t know they announce it though?

Have I got that right?

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Perhaps what used to be called a public reproof?

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

Oh right, public reproof and "marked" is the word.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Never heard that before (walked out mid-2009).

• happy@last
    happy@last

There must have been a change in policy, when i was in someone marked would not have it announced, a talk would be given on why and those in the know would guess what it was about

• undercover
    undercover

I went to the Kingdom Hall and a hockey game broke out...

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Checked?

checked

• xchange
    xchange

It would be considered a 'marking talk'. When I was an elder we had a few of these talks. Basically as mentioned, someone isn't blatantly violating any of the organizations rules - or the bible's for that matter.

We had one guy who was creating discord in the congregation continuously and it was decided to mark him. No names were mentioned but a 15 minute meticulous talk on the behaviour of a rabble-rouser made it obvious who this person was. Thus this person was officially marked.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

checked = reproof

checkmated = DF'd ................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit