The Stone the Builders Rejected

by sabastious 312 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Why would God want slaves? North Alantic slavery was more brutal in many ways than previous slavery. Slavery was never a desireable state. Jesus' and Paul's endorsement of slavery always made me wonder. They were not slaves. Our present culture around the world condemns slavery. In my mind, there is a vast difference between an independent follower, disciple, students, protege, servant and a slave.

It is odious in our culture. Anyone who would call themselves slaves while enjoying all the freedoms not associated with slavery seem very rude to actual slaves. Visit a slave ship, plantation, or view the photographs of the consequences of slavery -- Jim Crow laws, lynchings, massive segregation, the KKK.

I was raised that humans were created in God's image. Rock stars and politicans don't seem to respect all or nothing fans, etc. They respect others at their level. I've known famous people in real life. The culture in NY is to never ooh or ahh.

There may be slaves and slaves. It may not be the most important thing. All my Christian teachers said God does not want the worship of worms. I suspect that slave is used as code for someting other than slavery. English has so many words to describe status. Curious as to why slave was chosen.

I see the Witnessses as slaves of a concept. There seems to be a book with a similar title. Only an observation. Modern language might me more understabdable. Mystics talk about submission to God. Slavery has very ugly connotations in our culture.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Why would God want slaves?

Band, anything that is lesser than God is a slave of God by default. If I was in a room with Richard Dawkins, I would not try to teach him about evolutionary biology. I would be forced into the role of "inquirer." I would be in a way a servant of HIM simply because he is a superior scientist. In the case with God he is superior to us across the board and in all respects. Therefore, to call ourselves anything but slaves of him would imply we know best when he doesn't (Isaiah 40:25) which can never logically be the case. It seems to me that you are allowing yourself to become emotionally invested in a word.

-Sab

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I would be forced into the role of "inquirer." I would be in a way a servant of HIM simply because he is a superior scientist.

No, that's not what a slave is.

• cofty
    cofty

Sab - so slave becomes servant becomes inquirer.

Lame christian semantics yet again.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    No, that's not what a slave is.

Assuming he exists, why would someone ever not take the advice of God? Since his way is always the most correct we are forced into "servitude." Righteousness is slavery.

Servitude: The state of being a slave or completely subject to someone more powerful.

-Sab

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

What do you mean by "God"?

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What do you mean by "God"?

The "man with all the answers."

-Sab

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

God would be a man?

• tec
    tec

A man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.

That can be a thing or system, as well as a person.

However, if a free person chooses to be a slave of another (not be ENslaved), then whose business is that, but their own?

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Literal slaves cannot choose their way out of bondage. If you choose to serve someone, you are not a slave if you can also decide not to serve them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit