Have You Prepared For The "Flu" And Do You Get A Flu Shot?

by minimus 191 Replies latest jw friends

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Bungi Bill, LouBelle: Correlation DOES NOT equal causation. Getting the flu shot will not make you sick for 4 years. Eating spicy food does not prevent the flu.

There's a lot of people in this thread who need to take some basic science and biology courses.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Were I given to sarcasm, I would probably begin with something along the lines of "Pardon me, but I thought the whole idea of being vaccinated against influenza was to prevent one from getting the flu?"

However, sarcasm has never been my scene, and I don't intend to begin now!

It does seem, though, that I have to spell it out for some people:

- what I meant was that receiving the flu shots each year during that four year period never prevented me from getting the flu.

Also, I never claimed to having been made sick from one flu shot, so kindly refrain from introducing that staw man into the discussion.

Bill.

• Sojae
    Sojae

the flu shot is the flu..

• jgnat
    jgnat

In 2008, WHO estimated that 1.5 million of deaths among children under 5 years were due to diseases that could have been prevented by routine vaccination. This represents 17% of global total mortality in children under 5 years of age.

Selected diseases

Some diseases, including poliomyelitis, measles and maternal and neonatal tetanus, have specific goals for eradication or elimination:

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Bungi Bill, next don't make such poorly worded sentence and then get huffy when someone calls you out on what you said.

Sojae: If you bothered reading this thread, you'd see that the flu shot does not contain any live virii therefore, and I'm going to say this again, YOU CANNOT GET THE FLU FROM THE FLU SHOT.

jgnat, you should stop trying to use logic, reason, and facts. It doesn't matter to people who are anti-flushot.

Gee it's like trying to reason with Jehovah's Witnesses. Oh the irony.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'd rather trust statistics from a reputable source than anecdotal evidence, as touching as that all may be. Call me silly, but I trust the FDA and the WHO.

BB, consider that the WTS is pretty anti-establishment. Ironic, since the WTS is a humdinger of a corporate bully itself. I'm not surprised that a fair number of ex-Witnesses continue to be suspicious of the establishment.

The issue of vaccination is a sensitive one to me. I consider myself a fairly intelligent and persuasive person. Even so, I have not been able to convince my own daughter that vaccinations are one of the most efficient and natural ways to stay healthy, to beat the mightiest of germs in their own court. To my great chagrin, my daughter is highly suspicious of the establishment and in this area considers me to be highly niave. When she gets sick, she eats grapefruit. I mean, why trust the government?

I believe my immortality comes from what I am able to pass on. If I can't even pass on this simple message, will all I have gained in my lifetime evaporate in a cloud of ignorance?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Not to mention the mercury and formaldehyde in the shot--a flu is better than Alzheimer's.

Do the 2012-2013 seasonal flu vaccines contain thimerosal?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved several formulations of the seasonal flu vaccine, including multi-dose vials and single-dose units. (See Table of Approved Influenza Vaccines for the U.S. 2012–2013 Season.) Since seasonal influenza vaccine is produced in large quantities for annual immunization campaigns, some of the vaccine is produced in multi-dose vials, and contains thimerosal to safeguard against possible contamination of the vial once it is opened.

The single-dose units are made without thimerosal as a preservative because they are intended to be opened and used only once. Additionally, the live-attenuated version of the vaccine (the nasal spray vaccine), is produced in single-dose units and does not contain thimerosal.

Is thimerosal being used in other vaccines?

Since 2001, no new vaccine licensed by FDA for use in children has contained thimerosal as a preservative, and all vaccines routinely recommended by CDC for children younger than 6 years of age have been thimerosal-free, or contain only trace amounts of thimerosal, except for multi-dose formulations of influenza vaccine. The most recent and rigorous scientific research does not support the argument that thimerosal-containing vaccines are harmful. However, CDC and FDA continually evaluate new scientific information about the safety of vaccines.

I reckon it's got to do with the fact that I eat really hot, spicey food - I'm a sucker for chillis, curry powders, cayenne pepper.

Subsequently, more confirmed cases were reported and as the rate of transmission of the flu increased in the beginning of August, with the first death due to swine flu in India in Pune, [3] panic began to spread. As of 24 May 2010, 10193 cases of swine flu have been confirmed with 1035 deaths. [4]

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

what I meant was that receiving the flu shots each year during that four year period never prevented me from getting the flu.

It's a vaccine tailored to a specific strain of the flu. It's not a guarantee. Were you tested by a doctor to see if you had the strain of flu you were vaccinated against? The vaccine requires your body to develop to proper immune response to prevent a real flu infection, if that doesn't happe, the vaccine will not help you. It also takes about 2 weeks for your body to develop anti-bodies against the flu you were vaccinated against. If you come into contact with the flu shortly after the vaccination, you will still get sick.

That does not mean, however, it is not good for the general population.

the flu shot is the flu

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

The flu vaccine contains the flu. All vaccines contain a dead sample of the thing it is vaccinating you for. That's how it works.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Hubby has had these shots these past 4 years, together with quite a severe flu attack each year. I'm going to continue to pass.

Loz x

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Entirely Possible, please get out of here with your science facts and data. I prefer to use my gut instinct and garbage science I learned from Oprah and Dr. Oz.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit