God in your brain....

by EntirelyPossible 130 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

PSac --- I need to find that video and appreciate corroboration.

I was speaking of the original topic, that when thinking/speaking about God the neural pathways thatare active are the same ones that we use when speaking/thinking about Us. Makes perfect sense to me.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

marked

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

EP

I love it when Morgan Freeman tells me what to think.

Yea, he does do that sometimes.

How do you think about God?

It seems that some individuals had more activity in the part of the brain that we use when speaking to a friend, also some like Buddhists use another area. I think of God as my heavenly father, and not living in my head so to speak.

• caliber
    caliber

So how do you feel about this book EP ? (PS I haven't read it either )

How God Changes Your Brain Breakthrough Findings from a Leading Neuroscientist

http://www.andrewnewberg.com/change.asp

More than half of adult Americans report they have had a spiritual experience that changed their lives. Now, scientists from universities like Harvard, Pennsylvania and Johns Hopkins are using new technologies to analyze the brains of people who claim they have touched the spiritual

Written in an accessible style-with illustrations highlighting how spiritual experiences affect the mind-How God Changes Your Brain offers the following breakthrough discoveries:

• Not only do prayer and spiritual practice reduce stress and anxiety, but just twelve minutes of meditation per day may slow down the aging process.
    • Contemplating a loving God rather than a punitive God reduces anxiety, depression, and stress and increases feelings of security, compassion, and love.
    • Fundamentalism, in and of itself, is benign and can be personally beneficial, but the anger and prejudice generated by extreme beliefs can permanently damage your brain.
    • Intense prayer and meditation permanently change numerous structures and functions in the brain-altering your values and the way you perceive reality.
    "It's kind of interesting how scientists are trying to find a purely scientific explanation for religion. Just because they find out that certain parts of the brain "light up" during faith-related experiences, there seems to be an assumption that it can all be boiled down to biology and chemistry "~~ Bethany Huling
  • EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Sounds pseudo-sciency.

• caliber
    caliber

E.P. ... I read your opening post experience today... It brought me tears

"You can never really understand where a man is , until you see clearly where they have been !"

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

which one was that, Caliber?

• caliber
    caliber

which one was that, Caliber?

"An open letter to the Governing Body......."

Tell me about the Barry Goldwater thing... where it came from ?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Glad you liked it!

• LV101
    LV101

PSac -- thanks for posting comment and reminder for me to read again but it made sense to me, also.

LV

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit